barbless bought vs barbless bent

Old November 13th, 2008, 10:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

Default barbless bought vs barbless bent

I fish barbless hooks 100% and it's time to restock for tying next years fly
supply

My question: IYourHO is there any reason to prefer bending down barbs on
traditional hooks over buying factory barbless varieties? Reverse?

Experiences to support your notions on this?

TIA

Larry L ( who already knows to buy stainless steel hooks for brining
purposes :-)

Old November 13th, 2008, 10:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Scott Seidman

"Larry L" wrote in
:

My question: IYourHO is there any reason to prefer bending down
barbs on traditional hooks over buying factory barbless varieties?
Reverse?

Experiences to support your notions on this?

I've heard stories about Conservation officers checking for barbs in
barbless only areas by sticking the point through a stocking and seeing
how it comes out. It would be much harder for a bent-over barb to pass
this test.

I don't know if this is real or rumour.

Ifyou read up on hand-making hooks, by the way, the barb is integral to
the process as the means of holding the hook onto the bending form.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"Scott Seidman" wrote

I don't know if this is real or rumour.

Urban legend

Actually it was probably me that you heard it from. We had a problem
warden here on the local river ... it's my belief the situation has been
rectified.

Which is one of the reasons I'm thinking of going back to bending instead of
buying, but I'm curious to see if any of my other reasons get mentioned G

Old November 13th, 2008, 11:45 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message
. 1.4...

one of the reasons I tie on the brand of hooks I do is the
very small barbs. I think any of the 'microbarb' brands out there can be
quickly rendered barbless enough to pass
the stocking test. I was never overwhelmed by the range of barbless hooks
available. Others may differ......
Tom

Old November 13th, 2008, 11:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Larry L wrote:
"Scott Seidman" wrote
I don't know if this is real or rumour.

Urban legend

Actually it was probably me that you heard it from. ...

I've heard the same thing from several sources, which is not
to say it isn't urban legend. I don't know for sure because
it's never happened to me. The park rangers in Yellowstone
are very forgiving and if you've made an effort to bend down
the barb you'll be fine there. Other places, I don't know.

I like the factory barbless because I can't forget to crimp
down the barb and when I do inevitably hook my vest or shirt
or shorts the factory barbless are easier to pluck out than
the ones I've crimped. Seems no matter how carefully I try
to crimp I always leave just enough barb to make a hole in
my clothes.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old November 14th, 2008, 12:29 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Peaceful Bill

Scott Seidman wrote:

I've heard stories about Conservation officers checking for barbs in
barbless only areas by sticking the point through a stocking and seeing
how it comes out. It would be much harder for a bent-over barb to pass
this test.

I don't know if this is real or rumour.

On the tailwaters of Norfork Lake in the C&R area (Norfork River), F&G
checks with paper. Bent barbs often catch on the paper. Even when
barbs that are broken off by twisting, they could leave a burr than can
catch on paper. A friend of mine got a ticket even though he clearly
had the barb bent down because it caught on the paper.
Old November 14th, 2008, 12:45 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Peaceful Bill wrote:
Scott Seidman wrote:

I've heard stories about Conservation officers checking for barbs in
barbless only areas by sticking the point through a stocking and
seeing how it comes out. It would be much harder for a bent-over barb
to pass this test.

I don't know if this is real or rumour.

On the tailwaters of Norfork Lake in the C&R area (Norfork River), F&G
checks with paper. Bent barbs often catch on the paper. Even when
barbs that are broken off by twisting, they could leave a burr than can
catch on paper. A friend of mine got a ticket even though he clearly
had the barb bent down because it caught on the paper.

Do you mean to say that they didn't confiscate all his gear and his rig
and haul him off to jail? That's the way I've heard the legend goes. :-)

Old November 14th, 2008, 12:51 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Scott Seidman

rw wrote in
m:

Do you mean to say that they didn't confiscate all his gear and his rig
and haul him off to jail? That's the way I've heard the legend goes. :-)

How long before you get up to the point with the bloody hook hanging from
the door handle?

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old November 14th, 2008, 01:27 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 22:32:25 GMT, "Larry L"
wrote:

I fish barbless hooks 100% and it's time to restock for tying next years fly
supply

My question: IYourHO is there any reason to prefer bending down barbs on
traditional hooks over buying factory barbless varieties? Reverse?

Experiences to support your notions on this?

TIA

Larry L ( who already knows to buy stainless steel hooks for brining
purposes :-)

I use both. I have a helluva lot of barbed hooks that I am not going
to throw away. I bend the barbs regardless the regulations. This
past June I got interupted by a Maine Game Warden. Scared the hell
out of me by sneaking up behind me and anouncing his presence with a
whisle (lips not a ref whistle).

After he checked my license he asked to see my fly. I had on a barbed
hook with the barbs bent. He held it up to the sky, against some
white water, back up against the sky, and finally let it go saying it
was ok. But, he sure did give it a good look-see. Then, like all
good Maine GWs, he shot the **** with me for about ten minutes while I
continued to fish. I was the only guy on the river. We talked about
mutuals friends who were guides on the river. Nice guy once his
business mode was finished.

Old November 14th, 2008, 03:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Peaceful Bill

rw wrote:
Peaceful Bill wrote:
Scott Seidman wrote:

I've heard stories about Conservation officers checking for barbs in
barbless only areas by sticking the point through a stocking and
seeing how it comes out. It would be much harder for a bent-over
barb to pass this test.

I don't know if this is real or rumour.

On the tailwaters of Norfork Lake in the C&R area (Norfork River), F&G
checks with paper. Bent barbs often catch on the paper. Even when
barbs that are broken off by twisting, they could leave a burr than
can catch on paper. A friend of mine got a ticket even though he
clearly had the barb bent down because it caught on the paper.

Do you mean to say that they didn't confiscate all his gear and his rig
and haul him off to jail? That's the way I've heard the legend goes. :-)

No. Doug said that they warden gave him a ticket (maybe $150?). Might
have taken the fly. And he wasn't the only one. He said the warden
just went from fisherman to fisherman and checked each one for license
and barbed hooks. Was giving out tickets to most everyone. I guess if
the warden got DL#s, he could give out a lot of tickets without hauling
anyone in. Could make his ticket / revenue quota easier that way.

I've been checked several times for license (mostly in Tennessee), but
not for barbs. Never been ticketed. I just figure its less stress and
hassle to stay within the regs.