Can't get out of the boat to better your position

Old September 26th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Bob La Londe

Default Can't get out of the boat to better your position

I just heard of an interesting trick.

As I am sure you are aware many tournament series have a rule that you can't
get out of the boat to better your position. Basically that means you can't
hop out to drag your boat over a sandbar or float it shallower to get over a
rock to get into an area you couldn't get into without getting out of the
boat. They do allow you to get out and push the boat off the sandbar etc,
but you have to go back out or find a different route to access the area.
Most will allow you to use a push pole or two to get where you want to go.

I recently heard of a tournament angler who came up with a unique way to get
the boat over a sand and silt shallow bottom where a push pole or a push
pole in conjunction with the trolling motor was not enough to do it. He
would raise his motor all the way with the hydraulic jack plate. Trim it
all the way forward, lower the jack, and then trim it up. This would push
the boat about a foot at a time over the sand to get into deeper water on
the other side. I don't have a hydraulic jack plate on my current boat, but
I have done something like that with my old boat to get off a sandbar. I
never thought of it as a way to access a shallow back water lake when the
water is low. Interesting.

--
Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old September 26th, 2005, 10:05 PM
go-bassn

Heck with that, get that sucker up on plane & let it fly over those sand
bars! The only way to access several of my favorite tributaries on the
Delaware River...

Just don't get second thoughts after its too late to stop lol.

Warren

news:1127761042.3425b467a81de4f294356523231d3195@t eranews...

Old September 26th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Bob La Londe

"go-bassn" wrote in message
Heck with that, get that sucker up on plane & let it fly over those sand
bars! The only way to access several of my favorite tributaries on the
Delaware River...

Just don't get second thoughts after its too late to stop lol.

Warren

We clear a lot of bars down here that way (eh hem and sometimes don't) but
there are lots of places where it is not practical or would be against the
posted no wake rules.

And yes we know down here you bury all ten toes in the carburator and let
her fly until it won't fly no more or you will be stuck for sure.

--
Bob La Londe

Win a Spinnerbait Tackle Kit

Spinnerbait Tips & Tricks Contest
Through the Month of September 2005

http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Old September 26th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Dwayne E. Cooper

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:57:21 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

[...]

Bob...I'm not all that familiar with the latest models of bass
boats (as I'd like)...but here's a couple of tips from a guy that has
run a ton of shallow water:

1. Get a Hamby's hull protector (yup, ya lose an inch or two of draft
- but the protection it gives you over rock/sand is worth it)

2.. When running super-shallow water, get the boat and motor skag out
of the water - You really don't need much water over those sandbars if
you are running on top and you get your boat and skag out of the
water. If you're motor skag is like mine...it's sharp enough to slice
bread anyways and the skag is the only thing ya really worry about
hitting as that's about all that might be in the water.

3. Make sure that there are no stumps or hard rock in your path AND
that you're not going to lose the little water you have when you come
back that way later on.

4. If you know you're going through a very dangerous area (stumps
and/or rocks or obstacles are present...but you don't know exactly
where)...you can tilt your motor temporarily out of the water while
running. Ya just have to be careful that it is for a short period of
time (seconds) and that you don't make the situation worse by bouncing
your boat. Practice this in open water first...

5. A lot of it has to do with the boat you've got...how it is rigged
and your experience with the boat. For example:

A time ago, I had a 16' Ranger that skimmed thru the water like a pair
of water skis. It had a string 4 cylinder on back and I'd just throw
the motor up if I needed to clear something. Unless it was pretty
much dry land, I didn't have to worry about hitting something as long
as I had it going fast enough. For example, I really didn't have any
problems getting through creek openings that had pretty much silted in
and some of those places there may have been just 2 inches of water
for a short distance.

Now compare that to my current 18' Ranger. I suspect I've cleared
water that was only 6-8 inches deep and I've been able to do that for
20-30 yards with no problems and I've run pretty good distances in
just a foot of water. (biggest concern is usually the water pump or
intake - often you just have to back up your motor to clear things
out). Generally, I figure I need about 8 inches of water to run it
in. However, if I sit it down...I know that the draft is about 14
inches (or up to the top of my socks...:) and if the water is any
shalllower than that...I'm going to be doing some major pushing. (I
remember one night being stuck on a sand bar where i had to move all
my batteries and tackle up the the front of the boat in order to get
the thing moving! - they dropped the water on me a few inches on my
run back up river)

I remember driving heavier boats (ie. Champion, Monarch, slower
Rangers) that I wouldn't dare think about dashing through a foot of
water and which even 2-3 foot of water would often make me cringe.

--
Dwayne E. Cooper, Atty at Law
Indianapolis, IN
Old September 27th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Carlos

I fished with a fellow on Rend Lake that often used an anchor and a
come-a-long to get his boat to where the bass were in the stump fields.

I always managed to get into where I needed to. But I have sure had my
share of scary runs.

Carlos
Old September 27th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Charles B. Summers, HOF.

"Dwayne E. Cooper" wrote in message

[...]

You'd be an interesting person to fish with Dwayne.... Just remind me to
bring a change of underwear if I ever get the chance.

Old September 29th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Charles B. Summers, HOF.

LOL.

"Dwayne E. Cooper" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 08:38:40 -0500, "Charles B. Summers, HOF."
charles wrote:

You'd be an interesting person to fish with Dwayne.... Just remind me to
bring a change of underwear if I ever get the chance.

Hey..and from what I hear...it's gotta be a lot safer in my boat than
on your bike!

Old September 30th, 2005, 11:53 PM
Charles B. Summers, HOF.

Yup... and I didn't tell you about my need that day.

"alwaysfishking" wrote in message

Charles,

You have nerve talking about bringing a pair of underwear!!!! Do you
remember boom lake and a certain stump?