Rod length in small creek fishing

Old February 16th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Jarmo Hurri

Default Rod length in small creek fishing

The discussion about small-stream rods in a thread above brought to my
mind a closely related question I've been thinking about recently.

I have no first-hand experience on fishing bushy creeks, but a couple
of months ago I heard that there are some really interesting ones
nearby where I live. So I will most certainly be checking out some of
these places later this year. However, since I'm a novice in fishing
places like this, I was wondering what sort of a rod one should use. I
have a 2wt 8' rod myself, and I will naturally find out next summer if
that is of any use in these creeks. But since it will take a couple of
months before I am able to wet my line in these streams, and since I
am an impatient man, I thought it might be interesting to hear your
opinions about this type of fishing.

In my area the best weight of the rod is probably 2 or 3, but the
length of the rod is much more of a mystery to me. I often hear
fishermen talk about 6'-7' rods, but some suggest longer rods for
dapping flies over small bushes or long grass. I've noticed that Sage,
for example, does not even produce rods shorter than 8' in their
premium SLT series in weights 0-2. I could also imagine that a shorter
rod might be useful because it would not get tangled in bushes while
fishing or moving around (I think that the shortest ones I've noticed
in my catalogues so far is a 5'6" T&T rod).

It's impossible to determine an optimal small creek rod for all types
of terrain, vegetation etc., but I'd still like to hear your
experiences. What type of rods do you use in small creeks? In
particular, how long are the rods? How does the length of the rod
limit / affect the techniques you use?

--
Jarmo Hurri

Commercial email countermeasures included in header email
address. Remove all garbage from header email address when replying,
or just use .
Old February 16th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Roger Ohlund

"Jarmo Hurri" wrote in message

The discussion about small-stream rods in a thread above brought to my
mind a closely related question I've been thinking about recently.

snip
It's impossible to determine an optimal small creek rod for all types
of terrain, vegetation etc., but I'd still like to hear your
experiences. What type of rods do you use in small creeks? In
particular, how long are the rods? How does the length of the rod
limit / affect the techniques you use?

--
Jarmo Hurri

Jarmo,

I use a 7' 3wt for small streams. As the fish normally are smaller in such a
stream a 3wt has proven enough.
On the length issue: I like the rod to be short, this due to the
maneuverability and the fact that you don't need as much length to be able
to control the line in a small stream as in a big one.
Now then, a small stream for me is one no wider than 5 meters so my
perception of a small stream might differ from yours.
As this rod of mine is a cane rod it throws a roll cast without difficulty
even with much less line out than would make it possible to do the same
thing with a graphite rod.
I'd say (personal point of view) that the length which gives you control in
a big stream will get you into a whole lot of trouble in a smaller stream,
whether you are casting your line or fighting a fish.

/Roger
Off for a couple of days to do some more hunting, this time ptarmigan. Stay
warm.

Old February 16th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Jarmo Hurri

Hi Roger,

Roger Now then, a small stream for me is one no wider than 5 meters
Roger so my perception of a small stream might differ from yours.

In my book a creek with a width of 5 meters is already quite a river.

Roger I'd say (personal point of view) that the length which gives
Roger you control in a big stream will get you into a whole lot of
Roger trouble in a smaller stream, whether you are casting your line
Roger or fighting a fish.

Another reason to buy a new rod.

Do you often bump into situations where your 7' rod is too long?

Roger Off for a couple of days to do some more hunting, this time
Roger ptarmigan.

What's the equivalent of "tight lines" in hunting? Bloody bullets?

Old February 16th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Mike Connor

"Jarmo Hurri" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

The discussion about small-stream rods in a thread above brought to my
mind a closely related question I've been thinking about recently.

Generally speaking, I prefer the longest rod I can comfortably use. This is
also because I like to use longish leaders. However, on small overgrown
streams, especially if wading is either difficult or restricted, or one
simply does not want to wade, I prefer to use a very short rod. I have a six
foot #3 wt for this. Much longer, and the rod is a liability.

For slightly larger streams, I have a 7´6" #4 wt.

These two are basically my small stream rods. There are occasions, when a
small stream is "open", and with very little undergrowth on the banks etc,
and then I go back to my nine foot #4 wt.

If you dont have a short rod, and find yourself in such a situation, then
just use the top section ( or sections), of a longer rod. For a while I
carried a special butt around with me for the top two sections of my nine
footer. This worked very well, but it was a nuisance carrying the bottom
section around when I was using it.

Some techniques are very difficult with a short rod and short leaders.
Upstream nymphing, and also upstream wet fly fishing generally, are hard to
do with a short rod, as one simply has much less reach and control. Also,
when using short leaders, some things become almost impossible.

TL
MC

Old February 16th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Roger Ohlund

"Jarmo Hurri" wrote in message

Hi Roger,

Roger Now then, a small stream for me is one no wider than 5 meters
Roger so my perception of a small stream might differ from yours.

In my book a creek with a width of 5 meters is already quite a river.

If that is true, then you're in for a surprise when attending the clave ;-)
(Even the micro clave in June might broaden your horizon)

Roger I'd say (personal point of view) that the length which gives
Roger you control in a big stream will get you into a whole lot of
Roger trouble in a smaller stream, whether you are casting your line
Roger or fighting a fish.

Another reason to buy a new rod.

You might fool yourself, but the rest of us knows that you don't really need
a reason and that justifing a new rod can always be done ;-)

Do you often bump into situations where your 7' rod is too long?

It has happened but in situations like that the creek is really small, less
than 2 meters wide. And in my book that is just a trickle =)

Roger Off for a couple of days to do some more hunting, this time
Roger ptarmigan.

What's the equivalent of "tight lines" in hunting? Bloody bullets?

Straight aiming?

/Roger

Old February 16th, 2004, 12:23 PM
just al

I bought my 2wt when living and fishing in Whitefish, MT. Fishing the
Flathead for 9 inch cutthroats (very greedy fish) and also some creeks in
the northern FLathead Valley. Up until then I fished my 6 wt SciAng, 5wt
Sage DS2, and finally my third purchase the Winston 4wt LT. Because I
worked in a shop I was able to cast and a lot of rods and get good deals on
the Winstons and Sages. Sage still had their SPL's and people were breaking
them like crazy, so I went for the 2wt Winston WT. If I could so it all
over again, I'd've waited one more year and bought the 3wt SLT. That rod is
a dream...

Now that I'm back home in upstate NY, I only use my 4wt on windy days or
when "chucking" big streamers (#6) for landlocks and heavy nymphs on the
Ausable. Otherwise it's the 2wt. The 2wt saved me on the Delaware, where
for the first time I fished #22 flies and the 4wt was jsut too much power.
After switching rods I spent less time retying fine tippet and more time
missing strikes. Now that was fishing!

Thanks for letting me toot my horn...

barooooogaaaaa

Old February 16th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Jarmo Hurri

Do you often bump into situations where your 7' rod is too long?

Roger It has happened but in situations like that the creek is really
Roger small, less than 2 meters wide.

Ok, that's a good piece of information. I will find out this year what
kind of a rule of thumb applies to an 8' rod in our northern
environment.

Old February 16th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Big Dale

Jarmo wrote:snipWhat type of rods do you use in small creeks? In
particular, how long are the rods?

I am one of those guys who has bought far too many short rods for this
situation, but for me, I have never been able to enjoy using a rod shorter than
7.5 feet in length. I have several between 6 feet and 7.5 feet long and I
prefer the 7.5 foot 3 weight rods over all the others. I also prefer the rods
with a slower action than those that many prefer. My favorite 7.5 foot rod is
an old Fisher rod 3 weight rod. Another rod that I love to use is a Leo Eck
built bamboo rod that is a 2 piece in a 5 weight. I use it with a double taper
peach colored Cortland line and is by far my favorite rod with which to swing
soft hackle flies. It is impossible for me to use that rod without getting a
grin from ear to ear. I know that others do not agree, but I do not like using
bamboo rods that are less than a 4 weight. Each year when I go to the Southern
Conclave in Mountain Home, Harry Boyd will demonstrate the strength of his
impregnated bamboo by taking some of it which is scraps from building 2 weight
bamboo and driving it thru a board with a hammer. I still prefer a 5 weight
bamboo for the size bluegill and trout that I catch.

Big Dale
Old February 16th, 2004, 04:23 PM
@(Peter A. Collin)rochester.rr.com

Roger Ohlund wrote:
"Jarmo Hurri" wrote in message

What's the equivalent of "tight lines" in hunting? Bloody bullets?

Straight aiming?

Tight Groups