Tail end of the Pmd hatch

Old July 26th, 2006, 07:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim J.

Default Tail end of the Pmd hatch

Conan The Librarian typed:
William Claspy wrote:
On 7/26/06 1:47 PM, in article , "Conan The
Librarian" wrote:

I got my routah out to do some roundingovah with my
roundingovah bit

They make a round-over bit for the #71 now???

If they don't already, I figure Robin Lee is working on it. :-)

(sorry guys, we could go on like this for DAYS!)

Well it sure beats the hell outta watching those old C&R re-runs go
around in Tim's head again.

Chuck Vance (so, you buy any new old tools lately?)

The very least you two could do is stop cross-posting. . . or get a room.
;-)
--
TL,
Tim

Old July 26th, 2006, 10:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mr. Opus McDopus

"Wolfgang" wrote in message
And where the hell are your belt sander, electric planer, disc grinder,
hammer drill, heavy duty 1/2 inch drill, etc.?

Kevin
(and yes, I know that building a deck isn't really woodworking...)

Sacrilege!

Wolfgang

I find that the handiest of battery operated tools is the port-a-band saw
that we have at work. We have one for each service truck. The 28 volt
hammer drills "Milwaukee" are pretty decent too.

Op

Old July 28th, 2006, 06:12 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
jeffc

"pittendrigh" wrote in message
oups.com...
...got a few new photos, from Saturday, of the tail end
of the Pmd hatch on the spring creeks near Livingston, MT.
One of the things I noticed was how remarkably yellow these
little mayflies look at a distance, and how much greener
and grayer they look close up.

http://montana-riverboats.com/Pages/.../RealBugs.html

"But it does appear to me that many, if not most
Pmd imitations are tied a lot yellower than
the way the real bug looks"

That shouldn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing, even though it might be.
LaFontaine had some interesting insights into that in his "Dry Fly" book.
It's possible for a fish to prefer an inexact imitation over a natural
(well, until he mouths it :-) )

Old July 28th, 2006, 06:59 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
rw

jeffc wrote:
"pittendrigh" wrote in message
oups.com...

...got a few new photos, from Saturday, of the tail end
of the Pmd hatch on the spring creeks near Livingston, MT.
One of the things I noticed was how remarkably yellow these
little mayflies look at a distance, and how much greener
and grayer they look close up.

http://montana-riverboats.com/Pages/.../RealBugs.html

"But it does appear to me that many, if not most
Pmd imitations are tied a lot yellower than
the way the real bug looks"

That shouldn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing, even though it might be.
LaFontaine had some interesting insights into that in his "Dry Fly" book.
It's possible for a fish to prefer an inexact imitation over a natural
(well, until he mouths it :-) )

I'm a firm believer in the "super stimulus" approach. Give the fish
something a little bigger and a little flashier than the natural. It
sure works for wild cutthroat and brook trout, but maybe not as well for
finicky, educated, rhythmically feeding rainbows and browns.

Old July 28th, 2006, 02:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
pittendrigh

rw wrote:
I'm a firm believer in the "super stimulus" approach. Give the fish
something a little bigger and a little flashier than the natural.

I like the super stimulus approach too.....big hoppers, for instance,
are
similar to magnum-size goose decoys.

Somewhat related is the "different look" idead for
"finicky, educated, rhythmically feeding rainbows and browns."

Different looks:
http://montana-riverboats.com/Pages/.../Mayflies.html

Old July 28th, 2006, 05:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
jeffc

rw wrote:
I'm a firm believer in the "super stimulus" approach. Give the fish
something a little bigger and a little flashier than the natural.

I like the super stimulus approach too.....big hoppers, for instance,
are
similar to magnum-size goose decoys.

Somewhat related is the "different look" idead for
"finicky, educated, rhythmically feeding rainbows and browns."

"Super stimulus" doesn't have to mean bigger or flashier. It can mean
different in any way, but often it's a charicture, with an emphasis on
something that might not be related to size or flash. It could be blacker,
or smaller, or reflective of light in a different way, or.....

Old July 29th, 2006, 12:02 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
rw

rw wrote:

I'm a firm believer in the "super stimulus" approach. Give the fish
something a little bigger and a little flashier than the natural.

I like the super stimulus approach too.....big hoppers, for instance,
are
similar to magnum-size goose decoys.

Somewhat related is the "different look" idead for
"finicky, educated, rhythmically feeding rainbows and browns."

"Super stimulus" doesn't have to mean bigger or flashier. It can mean
different in any way, but often it's a charicture, with an emphasis on
something that might not be related to size or flash. It could be blacker,
or smaller, or reflective of light in a different way, or.....

A "super stimulus" is essentially an exaggeration of a stimulus that
elicits a response in its natural form. I believe it's behind the
effectiveness of most large attractor flies that don't closely represent
any particular bug. Examples are Stimulators (naturally), Madam X,
Turk's Tarantulas, and so on. These patterns are often effective during
the heat of the day when the trout aren't actively feeding.

I think it would be very unlikely for a SMALLER fly than the natural to
provide a super stimulus.

Old July 29th, 2006, 12:07 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
rw

rw wrote:

A "super stimulus" is essentially an exaggeration of a stimulus that
elicits a response in its natural form. I believe it's behind the
effectiveness of most large attractor flies that don't closely represent
any particular bug. Examples are Stimulators (naturally), Madam X,
Turk's Tarantulas, and so on. These patterns are often effective during
the heat of the day when the trout aren't actively feeding.

I think it would be very unlikely for a SMALLER fly than the natural to
provide a super stimulus.

I just found this example on Wikipedia. It's pretty funny:

"An episode of the PBS science show NOVA showed an Australian beetle
species whose males were sexually attracted to large and orange
females—the larger and oranger the better. This became a problem when
the males started to attempt to mate with certain beer bottles that were
just the right color. The males were more attracted to the bottles than
actual females."

Old July 30th, 2006, 02:25 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
jeffc

"rw" wrote in message
m...

I think it would be very unlikely for a SMALLER fly than the natural to
provide a super stimulus.

Not sure if I'm off on the wrong track because of some special meaning of
"super stimulus" as opposed to stimulus. I picked up some of this stuff
from LaFontaine, like I mentioned. An example of a smaller fly providing
the "key attractant" might be when there are 2 flies on the water, say a 14
and a 16. The trout are keying on the smaller fly. An "exaggeration" of
the smaller fly in a size 18 might provide the "super stimulus" the trout
needs to prefer it over the natural size 16s, since the trout is keyed on
looking for the smaller fly, and the size 18 stands out like a sore thumb
from the size 14s in helping them choose, while the size 16s are closer in
size and more confusing.