Watusi Worms

Old February 11th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Salmo Bytes

Default Watusi Worms

No photos yet.
Photos will happen this comming weekend, or soon
thereafter.

And this is a *troll* question, of sorts.
But I am curious about the answers.

What I'm about to describe will generate
(at least a few) "this isn't fly fishing"
comments which, in fact, may well be true.
But if the following isn't fly fishing,
what is it? That's the question.

=====Watusi Worms=======
CA glue (aka super glue) doesn't adhere
well to most plastics. The key word here
is most. CA glue does adhere very well to
the soft flexible plastic rubber worms
and Mr Twister tails are made from. CA
glue also adheres well to any hard plastic
that has been scored (scratched) with sandy paper.
So here's the deal:

Buy a bag of Mr Twister Tails or Berkeley Power Baits.
Use a razor blade to slice the front end off
the twister body, at a flat downward slant,
approximately 30-40 degrees off horizontal.

Cut a square of clear mylar sheeting. Scuff it
up with sandpaper. Glue the Twister tail to
the flat mylar with ZapAGap.

Flatten a non-lead split shot with pliers.
Glue it to the flat mylar, just below
the worm body. Use a dremel tool and a 1/32"
drill bit to bore a hole in the middle of
the flattened split shot.

Use scissors to trim the mylar to the shape
of a crankbait diving bill.

Thread leader through the whole in the bill.
Snell the leader to a straight eye grasshopper hook.
Put a small barrel swivel at the other end of
the tippet. Tie the barrel to your leader.

Now you have a soft plasctic Mr Twister tail
that is no heavier than a lead wrapped #4
Woolly Bugger. So you can cast it with a fly rod.
When you retrieve it, it dives and wiggles
frantically. This fly or lure--whatever it is--
is way too light to cast with a spinning rod.
In fact, in the spin fishing context, it's almost
worthless, because it is too light.

So what is it?
Should it be banned at "fly fishing only" sites.
If so, what's the definition of fly fishing,
so the authorities can enforce the rules?
Old February 12th, 2004, 03:08 AM
Gene Cottrell

It's not a fly. We all know what a fly is and is not. It's kind of like
pornography - I can't give you a specific definition, but I know it when I
see it.

Gene

om...

Old February 12th, 2004, 04:10 AM
Salmo Bytes

Stephen Welsh wrote:

My definition: an articifial lure cast and delivered by
the weight of the line

Good definition. I like it.

Do you mean 'waters' or 'sites' as in www?

waters...not sites.
If they're going to have "fly fishing only" waters,
then they probably need a definition of fly fishing.
So I was fishing for a definition.
Old February 12th, 2004, 04:13 AM
Salmo Bytes

Default Watusi Worms ...two photos

http://montana-riverboats.com/static...usi_Worms.html
Old February 12th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Hooked

"Salmo Bytes" wrote in message
om...

http://montana-riverboats.com/static...usi_Worms.html

That's not a fly. That's a lure. And you could cast that with a spinning rod
if you had the right rod. It would need to have a light tip section. Would
also help if you use light line.

Old February 12th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Scott Seidman

"Hooked" wrote in
:

"Salmo Bytes" wrote in message
om...

http://montana-riverboats.com/static...ttendrigh/01-W
igglers/Watusi_Worms/Watusi_Worms.html

That's not a fly. That's a lure. And you could cast that with a
spinning rod if you had the right rod. It would need to have a light
tip section. Would also help if you use light line.

Agreed. That's worth a citation if you fish it in a fly fishing only area
in NY

Scott
Old February 12th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Douglas Campbell

Where can one buy clear mylar sheeting?

I see no sense in distinguishing between fly fishing only and artificial
lures only if the weight and hooks restrictions are the same.

Doug Campbell

Old February 12th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Stan Gula

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message
. 1.17...

That's not a fly. That's a lure. And you could cast that with a
spinning rod if you had the right rod. It would need to have a light
tip section. Would also help if you use light line.

Agreed. That's worth a citation if you fish it in a fly fishing only area
in NY

How does NY define 'fly'? And how do they define 'fly fishing'? Strangely,
Massachusetts has two flyfishing-only areas, but the F&W Abstracts (and all
regs published on their web site) do not define flyfishing or fly. Your
question motivated me to ask the head of F&W enforcement (I figure the guy
who can bust you is the guy you should listen to). I'll let you know what I
find out.

I would call Sandy's plastic worm a 'fly' and have used similar lures for
bass and bluegill fishing (on open regulation ponds). My definition of a
fly, which I've stated before, is anything light enough to cast effectively
on fly gear (I'm not going to define that...), not made out of living or
recently living animals (like a dead shiner). Of course, what I think
doesn't matter - the regulations matter, and thus my inquiry. I've seen
some bizarre regulations (to me, obviously, and not the people who wrote
them) in Maine. We were flyfishing on a 'flyfishing-only' lake, and some
local people thought fishing from a float tube was trolling (which is
outside the definition) because we weren't anchored. We *were* 'casting and
retrieving in the usual manner' which is how flyfishing is defined.