Senko's

Old June 18th, 2006, 06:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Default Senko's

Hey everyone,

I see a lot of people talk about fishing "Senko's", but I am new to them. I
will be going on a small mouth trip up north soon(just south of Lake
Superior), and the fish are most definitely in post spawn mode at this
point, (I would think). The lake is deep and clear with submerged
vegetation as far as 24 ft deep. Would these be ideal for this type
fishing? And if so, what's the best way to fish these? I've also seen
pictures of people using them, with an O ring and without. Which is better
in your personal experience? What's a hot color in these? The usual
Pumpkinseed and Watermelon? or...?? 4 or 5 inch?

What would you guys recommend as the best approach for summer smallies?
You're up North aren't ya Steve? What's working for you right now?

Happy Father's day all, and TIA,

Doug

Old June 18th, 2006, 11:38 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Doug" wrote in message
Hey everyone,

I see a lot of people talk about fishing "Senko's", but I am new to them.
I will be going on a small mouth trip up north soon(just south of Lake
Superior), and the fish are most definitely in post spawn mode at this
point, (I would think). The lake is deep and clear with submerged
vegetation as far as 24 ft deep. Would these be ideal for this type
fishing? And if so, what's the best way to fish these? I've also seen
pictures of people using them, with an O ring and without. Which is
better in your personal experience? What's a hot color in these? The
usual Pumpkinseed and Watermelon? or...?? 4 or 5 inch?

What would you guys recommend as the best approach for summer smallies?
You're up North aren't ya Steve? What's working for you right now?

Happy Father's day all, and TIA,

We've been doing very well using 4 and 5 inch Senkos rigged wacky style on a
1/0 hook. Hook them Texas style and we don't get a bite, but wacky rigged
and they've jumped on the baits. Watermelon with red/green fleck has been
good, as has the black with flecks in it. Actually, just about all of the
colors in my box is working pretty good except the pure white. Take plenty
of both sizes and don't be afraid to experiment with color.

The fish on inland lakes are definitely post-spawn, but I did hear the
smallies in Chequomegon Bay are on the beds now.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old June 18th, 2006, 05:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

" We've been doing very well using 4 and 5 inch Senkos rigged wacky style
on a
1/0 hook. Hook them Texas style and we don't get a bite, but wacky rigged
and they've jumped on the baits. Watermelon with red/green fleck has been
good, as has the black with flecks in it. Actually, just about all of the
colors in my box is working pretty good except the pure white. Take
plenty of both sizes and don't be afraid to experiment with color.

The fish on inland lakes are definitely post-spawn, but I did hear the
smallies in Chequomegon Bay are on the beds now.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
http://www.herefishyfishy.com

Thanks Steve. What do you think about the "O" ring thing around the middle?
Should I do this or does it take away from the bait somehow you think? What
do you think about weights? Should I use any? I'll probably be fishing in
around that magic range of 15 to 18 feet this time of the year. What other
"goto" baits you using this time of the year up there?
While I got ya here too, if you don't mind, what are those weeds called
that come up out of the depths, long long main stems with large leaves? It
almost looks like kelp fields on the Discovery Channel! I know the summer
smallies like to congregate near the deep drops around these weeds, just
don't know what they are. Are the lakes in upper cheese country pretty much
the same as the U.P.? Sandy and clear that is?

I know this has been covered in a thread somewhere, but either my newsreader
doesn't have it anymore(was a recent thread I think), or, I just can't find
it. Sorry for the repetitive question. Actually that other thread is what
prompted me to pursue the Senko's.

Anyway, thank you for all the info so far,

Doug

Old June 18th, 2006, 09:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Doug Senkos are great, but I would go with tubes with a 3/16- 3/8 oz.
tube jig inserted, dragged on the bottom, green pumpkin w/ copper or
watermelon w/ gold flake.

Old June 18th, 2006, 09:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

I do well Texas rigging the Senko weightless but my trick is to thread the
hook in the head of the worm about an inch so that the line end can wiggle
freely on the drop just like the tail end and the hook is pretty much in the
middle.. If your going to wacky rig them, I prefer without the O-ring
because I like the hooks direction opposed to the worm but it's up to you.
Plus, if your working in deep water try a little 1/32 split-shot right on
the hook. It really helps the bait drop and the action is still pretty
similar. I like most colors as long as they're black. I T rig the 5" and
wacky the 4'.

Rich P

Old June 19th, 2006, 12:12 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

I started Senko fishing about 3 yrs ago and haven't stopped .Senkos got a
slow start around here and now just about everyone is fishing them. T rig
was the way to go but wacky rigging is now the ticket -Also weighting the
hook gives it a different look or sometimes I even rig them from the tail
end.And green [watermelon w/o flakes ] is by far my color.Just ordered a
some jig heads from fintech and have some ideas
Ken Blevins
"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

Old June 19th, 2006, 02:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Doug,
I've fished Lake Owen (a clear, deep lake in northern WI) with both tubes
and Senkos and have had better luck with the wacky rigged Senkos. I'm
heading up next week (will be on the water Friday) to give it a whack. My
best luck has been with watermelon, pumpkinseed and shades of red. I
usually rig them with a 1/8 oz weight so it falls at a fairly slow rate.
I'll put a heavier weight on in deeper water (more than 15'). I don't
believe the o-ring takes away from the bait at all. I use the 5" size, but
do occasionally use the smaller sizes. I've also tried them rigged Texas
style with no weight and used them like a jerk bait over the tops of weed
beds for largemouth - I'm going to try it over rock bars for smallmouth this
time out. It can be tough to keep the wacky rigs from getting caught in the
rocks/weeds/wood so be careful.

Mike

Old June 19th, 2006, 12:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"BIG FISH 2006" wrote in message
Doug Senkos are great, but I would go with tubes with a 3/16- 3/8 oz.
tube jig inserted, dragged on the bottom, green pumpkin w/ copper or
watermelon w/ gold flake.

I like to use tubes too, but the past three outings hasn't produced a single
fish on a tube when Senko-type lures have done the trick. I don't
understand it, as I land smallies, they're barfing up orange chunks of
crayfish, but yet when I put a tube or craw down there that almost matches
the color identically, I never get a bite. Throw a Texas-Rigged Senko,
still nothing. Take the same lure off, rig it wacky and I get bit!

I guess you just have to be a little willing to experiment.

Old June 19th, 2006, 01:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Doug" wrote in message

" We've been doing very well using 4 and 5 inch Senkos rigged wacky style
on a
1/0 hook. Hook them Texas style and we don't get a bite, but wacky
rigged and they've jumped on the baits. Watermelon with red/green fleck
has been good, as has the black with flecks in it. Actually, just about
all of the colors in my box is working pretty good except the pure white.
Take plenty of both sizes and don't be afraid to experiment with color.

The fish on inland lakes are definitely post-spawn, but I did hear the
smallies in Chequomegon Bay are on the beds now.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
http://www.herefishyfishy.com

***Look for my replies within the message. They'll follow the ***

Thanks Steve. What do you think about the "O" ring thing around the
middle? Should I do this or does it take away from the bait somehow you
think?

***I think it's a great idea, it makes sense about preventing the lures from
tearing, but I tried it recently. Sure, I did use a lure for quite a while,
but each time I did hook a fish, it would come to the surface, thrash around
and toss the tear-free Senko! I don't think it takes away from the action,
but I didn't experience any lure saving. Whether you do this or not is
entirely up to you, but I'll just let them tear and fix them later with a
surgical cautery.

What
do you think about weights? Should I use any? I'll probably be fishing
in around that magic range of 15 to 18 feet this time of the year.

***I don't use weights, and fish the same depths sometimes, but that's me.
I know it bugs the snot out of some of my clients to let the lure fall that
long without doing something. I suppose you could put a splitshot 18" or so
up from the lure if you're the impatient type.

What other
"goto" baits you using this time of the year up there?

***I use Zoom Super Flukes (pearl, baby bass and salt/pepper colors), tubes
(watermelon, pumpkinseed and black) and Secret Weapon spinnerbaits
(Firetiger, Midnight Snack, Baby Bass and Bleeding Shad colors).

While I got ya here too, if you don't mind, what are those weeds called
that come up out of the depths, long long main stems with large leaves? It
almost looks like kelp fields on the Discovery Channel! I know the summer
smallies like to congregate near the deep drops around these weeds, just
don't know what they are.

***It's called cabbage or Musky Weed.

Are the lakes in upper cheese country pretty much
the same as the U.P.? Sandy and clear that is?

***Some are clear with sand/gravel/rock bottoms, many are stained to a tea
or coffee color.

Good luck and have fun,

Old June 21st, 2006, 02:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Sorry for the delay in reply. I got some really good idea's now thanks to
you guys, and I appreciate it! It's crunch time now, and I'll be leaving
tonight for the lake. I bought several colors of 5 inchers and I opted for
the "Owner #2" hooks, and "#3 True Turn thin wire wide gap's" for Texas
Rigging. I was talking to the guy at the bait shop, and he highly
recommended putting small needle weights in the ends of the Senko's, so I
bought a pack of those too. We'll see how it works out.

I figure between Senko's, and the usual arsenal of cranks, spinners and
softbaits, I should come up with something. The weather looks like it'll
be ideal too, low 70's daytime, and mid 40's at night all week. It'll be a
nice break after this 85+ and high humidity weather we've been having here.

Pretty excited about seeing the "Soo Locks" too and the "Pictured Rocks" on
Lake Superior amongst other things, but that's another story! The kids
should have a blast!!

If I get some nice one's, I'll be sure to post a few pic's too, and let you
know how we did!

Thanks again everyone!!

Tight lines,

Doug