Leader Test?

Old October 22nd, 2005, 05:37 AM
Bryan

Default Leader Test?

Should leader test be stronger or weaker than the primary line test?

I always thought it was supposed to be weaker than the primary test, but I
just read that it's supposed to be stronger. So now I'm confused.

Any help?

Old October 22nd, 2005, 03:22 PM
David H. Lipman

From: "Bryan"

| Should leader test be stronger or weaker than the primary line test?
|
| I always thought it was supposed to be weaker than the primary test, but I
| just read that it's supposed to be stronger. So now I'm confused.

Leader should always be stronger. The idea lof leader is to take the abuse of such things
as fish teeth and hitting rocks and logs.

Personally, I prefer, clear, camouflaged leader material.

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Old October 22nd, 2005, 06:53 PM
Bryan

From: "Bryan"

| Should leader test be stronger or weaker than the primary line test?
|
| I always thought it was supposed to be weaker than the primary test, but
| just read that it's supposed to be stronger. So now I'm confused.

Leader should always be stronger. The idea lof leader is to take the
abuse of such things
as fish teeth and hitting rocks and logs.

Personally, I prefer, clear, camouflaged leader material.

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

This is obviously a lifelong learning failure for me. I always thought the
leader was lighter to be less visible to the fish. Oops!

Old October 22nd, 2005, 07:18 PM
David H. Lipman

From: "Bryan"

Leader should always be stronger. The idea lof leader is to take the
abuse of such things
as fish teeth and hitting rocks and logs.

Personally, I prefer, clear, camouflaged leader material.

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

This is obviously a lifelong learning failure for me. I always thought the
leader was lighter to be less visible to the fish. Oops!

That's why I use clear camouflaged leader material vs. metal leaders, to be less visible to
the fish. Also metal has greater weight and rigidity and will affect the action of the
lure.

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Old October 22nd, 2005, 07:24 PM
David H. Lipman

From: "Bryan"

| This is obviously a lifelong learning failure for me. I always thought the
| leader was lighter to be less visible to the fish. Oops!

I should also state that's knot [ :-) ] a good idea because the lighter leader material vs.
the line means that'll be the point of failure. The leader will break even easier than the
line on the reel and thus you will lose more fish and lures.

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Old October 24th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Jim Laumann

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 04:37:39 GMT, "Bryan"
wrote:

Should leader test be stronger or weaker than the primary line test?

I always thought it was supposed to be weaker than the primary test, but I
just read that it's supposed to be stronger. So now I'm confused.

Any help?

Bryan

I would say "that depends".....

As in are you fishing bait on the bottom in a rockie area - you might
want a "lighter" test leader, so that you only tear off a minimum
amount of gear (ie the sinker) if you snag.

On the other hand, fishing lures, ie crank baits, spinner baits, etc
for toothie critters like N Pike and Muskie, I would want a
stronger leader than the line.

Jim