Olive Drab Floater II aka The Minnow Bucket

Old February 9th, 2005, 03:11 AM
Henry Hefner

Default Olive Drab Floater II aka The Minnow Bucket

I have just become the titled owner of an old 14' aluminum v-bottom,
that I intend to eventually convert into a bass boat. I know others have
done this, and I've been looking over web sites that explain how they
did it, but it seems nobody ever made any mistakes! I know that if you
all are anything like me, when you got done you looked back and wished
you'd done SOMETHING different. C'mon Joe, and anyone else. Before I get
started, tell me: What do you wish someone had told you before you got
started?

TIA,
Henry
Old February 9th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Joshuall

Henry,
Many years ago I converted one . . . well sorta. In any event I
mentioned one hazard to keep an eye on as you do convert a few months ago. I
installed seats incorrectly and thinking sitting up off the bench seat of
the jon boat was cool soon found myself cooling off in a local lake. Just
make sure seats are mounted flush and sturdy. And keep a close eye on the
capacity of the boat to begin with and the water line outside it. You can
add to much to a small craft and make it less than seaworthy. I did just
that. g.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

Old February 9th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Bob La Londe

I took a Whacko 2050-16 and made it into a bass boat. I have to admit, its
was pretty well suited to it originally. I also have to say I agree. For
about what it will cost me in the long run I could have bought a fully
rigged Tracker the same size. I might have saved a little by picking up a
used outboard, but it really isn't a lot of savings, and when you factor in
my time it was a net loss. I could have made a lot of money with my time by
just installing a couple more alarm systems or spending some time selling
another digital video recording system.

--
** Public Fishing and Boating Forums
** www.YumaBassMan.com

Old February 9th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Bob La Londe

Do not scrimp on your trolling motor. A lot of guys will tell you that you
should spend your money on your outboard, but even on a ten mile run upriver
a few extra ponies under the cowling will only make an extra couple minutes
of fishing time. A serious high power trolling motor with a variable speed
control will make the difference between fishing and swearing in a lot of
conditions. Scrimp and save on everythign else, but sink every saved penny
into the best trolling motor you can get.

I run a 65LB 5 speed on my Whacko, and its not bad, but I wish I had gone
with a variable speed motor instead. The ease of fine speed adjustment with
a good variable speed will really make a huge difference in your frustration
level. I plan to take the 74 LB variable speed off my big boat and put it on
the Whacko (Waco for this who didn't know this) when I get a 100+ for the
big boat.

Seems like I am really harping on the trolling motor, but its important.
You will spend more time and put a lot more hours on that little electric
than you will on your big gas motor. If you fish a river system or a lake
with strong tributaries you will still find yourself wishing you had a
bigger trolling motor. Get caught out on a windy day fishing wind blown
points and mudlines and you really start to appreciate how much that little
electric will do for you.

P.S. I happen to agree with those guys who say buy the biggest gas motor
your boat can handle, but if I was pinching pennies I'ld make sure I had a
brute of a trolling motor first.

Old February 10th, 2005, 01:47 AM
alwaysfishking

Don't have a fight with Dave V with the battery and trolling motor still
attached, while we managed to upright the boat, Dave had to do some deep
diving to get the battery back, trolling motor and battery work fine...Dave
on the other hand, has never been right since it happened

Old February 10th, 2005, 02:57 AM
Bob La Londe

My jon is pretty wide and it would take some real doing to tip it over, but
I dumped my canoe in Mittry Lake in February a couple years ago. Had two
panicing kids in the canoe, that managed to stay in. Rather than risk
getting bashed in the head by having them paddle I just grabbed the bow rope
in my teeth and swam to shore.

Old February 10th, 2005, 03:08 AM
Henry Hefner

alwaysfishking wrote:
Don't have a fight with Dave V with the battery and trolling motor still
attached, while we managed to upright the boat, Dave had to do some deep
diving to get the battery back, trolling motor and battery work fine...Dave
on the other hand, has never been right since it happened

OK, I think I've got it covered. First, win the lotto and pay someone
else to build me a boat. but that would take all the challenge out of
it! Take the boat out and test it's stability before making any
decisions on pedestal seating. Watch the added weight. I've already got
a trolling motor and gas motor for it, but before upgrading I'll
consider buying all the troller I can afford, and getting all the gas
motor the hull is rated for.
And oh, yeah, don't take Dave V. or Randy out in it unless they promise
to be on their best behavior.

Anybody interested, here is what I have to work with:
http://img188.exs.cx/img188/1416/14foot0071mj.jpg
Old February 10th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Bob La Londe

"Henry Hefner" wrote in message

Anybody interested, here is what I have to work with:
http://img188.exs.cx/img188/1416/14foot0071mj.jpg

Not a bad first boat. For sitting up high it would be as stable as a flat
bottom jon boat, but its pretty wide and flat at the back so it won't be too
bad. I definitely would not want to sit up too high. Maybe you should
float it somewhere and stand up in it to see what it feels like.Then stand
up on the front bench. Then step from one side of the boat to the other
carefully. that should give you as good an idea as any what it will be like
to fish out of.

Might consider a fishing seat that has your feet down at sole level rather
than putting a raised deck in and raising your feet up to bench top level.
That way whenever you put your feet down it will effectively lower the
center of gravity. Just like riding a dirt bike when you put your weight on
the foot pegs instead of the seat.

I have gotten so spoiled even with that I would stay with a bow mount foot
control trolling motor. A friend here locally fishes out of a boat that is
that size or a little smaller, and he does it very similarly to what I
described. If I remember I'll snap a picture for you.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old February 10th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Bob La Londe

Meant to say, "Would not be as stable."

Old February 10th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Henry Hefner" wrote in message SNIP

OK, I think I've got it covered. First, win the lotto and pay someone else
to build me a boat. but that would take all the challenge out of it! Take
the boat out and test it's stability before making any decisions on
pedestal seating. Watch the added weight. I've already got a trolling
motor and gas motor for it, but before upgrading I'll consider buying all
the troller I can afford, and getting all the gas motor the hull is rated
for.
And oh, yeah, don't take Dave V. or Randy out in it unless they promise to
be on their best behavior.

Anybody interested, here is what I have to work with:
http://img188.exs.cx/img188/1416/14foot0071mj.jpg

Henry,

That boat is very similar to what I had when I started guiding! It had a
1963 10 hp Johnson outboard and a 12 volt MinnKota transom mount that I spun
the head on and mounted on the bow of the boat. It wasn't much, but it was
all I could afford and we caught fish from it. Some days I wish I hadn't
sold that boat.....

I did build raised decks using 1/2" plywood, painted on both sides before
covering it with AstroTurf to help keep it from becoming waterlogged. I
used aluminum angle bracing between the seats so that there wasn't a lot of
flex and to keep weight to a minimum. AstroTurf wasn't exactly what I'd use
now, but I got it on sale....I'd suggest marine carpeting.

I did cut hatches in the decks so that I'd have storage underneath, and
while it worked all right, I wouldn't dream of calling it waterproof or
anything remotely resembling dry storage.

My suggestion is to take your time and think this project through. Don't go
overboard on the whistles and bells, because everything you add is also
added weight, and with a boat like that, it can't take a lot of additional
weight.

As long as the water is relatively calm, you will be able to stand on the
front deck, but it will pitch and roll quite a bit, especially when you have
a passing wakeboarder plowing along at maximum wake speed, rolling 4 footers
at you. You'll have to be constantly aware of the water around you.

Otherwise I think you have a pretty good handle on the project, especially
the part about Randy and Dave. I'm not sure my 21'6" Cobra is big enough to
handle those two!
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com