Spinnerbaits

Old January 7th, 2004, 01:15 AM
Nick R

Default Spinnerbaits

I am very new to bass fishing and am wanting to build my arsenal of lures.
I have $100 to spend on spinnerbaits and maybe buzzbaits. I was wondering
if you guys and gals could advise me on colors, blades, sizes, hooks,
skirts, etc. I mainly fish stained lakes in IL. How do you all tote and
store your spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. thanks a million

Old January 7th, 2004, 01:57 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Nick R" wrote in message
link.net...
I am very new to bass fishing and am wanting to build my arsenal of lures.
I have $100 to spend on spinnerbaits and maybe buzzbaits. I was wondering
if you guys and gals could advise me on colors, blades, sizes, hooks,
skirts, etc. I mainly fish stained lakes in IL. How do you all tote and
store your spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. thanks a million

I've found the best way to tote and store hundreds of spinnerbait combinations is quite simple. Buy
Secret Weapon spinnerbaits. With their patented, interchangable blade design and by changing
skirts, you can get hundreds, if not thousands of different combinations with very few spinnerbaits
in the box. I use a Plano hanging spinnerbait box to store them and a small Plano flat box to keep
my different blades and skirts.

It's a very simple and effective system that catches fish! What more could a person ask for? Check
them out at http://www.secretweaponlures.com
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers

Old January 7th, 2004, 02:30 AM
luv2bafield

I'll give you the poor man's version. I recently went to Sports Authority
and saw spinner baits for 99 cents. The brand was The Classics. They
looked pretty good so I bought a couple, went home and tossed a few from the
shore of a small lake in my neighborhood. I had six hits in one hour, landed
three 20 ouncers, two spit the hook before I got them to shore and one was
just a hit. I went back and bought thirty.

I feel about baits like some people (including me) feel about line in the
recent thread on that topic. Bass just ain't that smart. If they are
hitting a certain color and blade style of spinnerbait, they'll hit any
brand of spinnerbait in that color and style. I might even go as far to say
that if they are hitting spinnerbaits, they'll hit any spinnerbait. Same
goes for worms, cranks, jigs, etc. So many lures are overpriced. IMHO.

link.net...

Old January 7th, 2004, 03:22 AM
AJH

S.O.B Lures www.soblures.com makes some nice spinnerbaits and
buzzbaits..They have a very good selection and their website has some
good info.. I like them because they make twisted eye spinnerbait,,
that's all I will say..

I fish therefore I lie

Old January 7th, 2004, 03:25 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"luv2bafield" wrote in message SNIP

I feel about baits like some people (including me) feel about line in the
recent thread on that topic. Bass just ain't that smart. If they are
hitting a certain color and blade style of spinnerbait, they'll hit any
brand of spinnerbait in that color and style. I might even go as far to say
that if they are hitting spinnerbaits, they'll hit any spinnerbait. Same
goes for worms, cranks, jigs, etc. So many lures are overpriced. IMHO.

I'll go along with that to a certain extent. But I've found through personal experience that just
about every time that I've fished a standard spinnerbait and a client has fished a Secret Weapon,
they've done better than me, and there's few people that like to throw a spinnerbait more than me.
There's something about the flash or vibration that's different and seems to trip a fish's trigger.
I had one muskie that was following a StrikeKing spinnerbait veer off of that to slam a SW 15-20
feet away.

Old January 7th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Jim Laumann

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 20:25:14 -0600, "Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers"
wrote:

"luv2bafield" wrote in message SNIP

I feel about baits like some people (including me) feel about line in the
recent thread on that topic. Bass just ain't that smart. O.

snipped....

I'll go along with that to a certain extent. But I've found through personal experience that just
about every time that I've fished a standard spinnerbait and a client has fished a Secret Weapon,
they've done better than me, and there's few people that like to throw a spinnerbait more than me.
There's something about the flash or vibration that's different and seems to trip a fish's trigger.
I had one muskie that was following a StrikeKing spinnerbait veer off of that to slam a SW 15-20
feet away.

Steve

Make sure you've got plenty of those SW's on hand next Oct. I'm
hoping that muskie has a cousin, brother, sister, auntie......

And if all else fails - a SM will do.

Later

Jim

2003 R.O.F.B. NWC
Largest Non Bass Trophy Winner
Old January 7th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Carlos

Hi Nick,

I have caught fish in IL on just about any color you can think of. If I
reach for one usually it's white or chartreuse. I carry them in a Plano box
made for spinnerbaits.

I sometime get to playing with these natural looking colors schemes. They
all seem to work if the fish are on them. Many times it's more important
how the bait is presented than the color.

Carlos

Old January 7th, 2004, 01:13 PM
AJH

K,are you saying I can catch bass without a $300 reel, custom rod and a
$15 crankbaitgrin

I fish therefore I lie

Old January 7th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Jack Dalzell Jr.

luv2bafield wrote:
I'll give you the poor man's version. I recently went to Sports Authority
and saw spinner baits for 99 cents. The brand was The Classics. They
looked pretty good so I bought a couple, went home and tossed a few from the
shore of a small lake in my neighborhood. I had six hits in one hour, landed
three 20 ouncers, two spit the hook before I got them to shore and one was
just a hit. I went back and bought thirty.

I am the first one to recommend people to use their brains and
"economize" as often as possible BUT these cheap spinnerbaits probably
will work o.k. the first few times, then the quality problems will
surface. They probably don't have a quality swivel system, a good hook
or even a quality stainless steel frame, let alone having chip proof
paint. My guess is that in short time the skirts will become gummy and
need replacing. Also, the two fish that you lost could be the result of
a poor hook that will not hold a sharpened edge. Over time, bargain
baits are not always the cheapest.IMHO.
Jack

~~
Jack Dalzell Jr.
http://secretweaponlures.com/jdbass/jdhome.htm.
www.OutdoorFrontiers.com
"Living on the south shore of Lake Erie and lovin' it!"
~~~~~~

Old January 7th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Craig

If you are truly new to the sport, you need to buy a variety of spinnerbaits
so that you can see, feel, and determine based of your
"On-The-Water-Experience" which spinnerbaits best meet your needs.

What I have found is that each of the following have helped me catch more
fish in different situations and I personally use them all.

1. War Eagle - http://www.wareaglebaits.com/ - their thin wire, quality
swivel makes these a wiggling, sound producing factory, and a dream to fish
around and through weeds.

2. Nichols Lures "Pulsator" - http://www.nicholslures.com/ - the tank of
spinnerbaits, these high quality lures can take a beating and keep a running
true catch after catch. A GREAT helicoptering lure.

3. Secret Weapon Lures - http://www.secretweaponlures.com/ - These unique
design lures produce a "Unique Sound and Look" that fish haven't become
accustom too. Have become a "go too" lure in High Pressure, High Traffic.
Besides you can customize the look and sound quickly.

4. Ledge Buster - see Cabelas and BPS websites - designed heavy to fish deep
water efficiently. A must have for those deep water situations.

--
Craig Baugher