Different Trolling Motor Problem

Old April 12th, 2006, 07:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Default Different Trolling Motor Problem

Hey all, I had a new trolling motor (Minn-Kota Maxxum 70lb) put on when
I had my new outboard put on last spring. They completely re-ran new
wire, and everything seemed to run good till close to the end of last
season. I noticed that at times, the trolling motor would all of sudden
stop responding to anything I did. I would screw with the plug, and
then it would work again. I pulled off the panel on the bow , and it
seems that all the wires are secure, and the plug on the trolling motor,
and well as the female end on the panel seem to make a strong
connection. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with something
like this, and wondered if it could possibly be the trolling motor itself?

Thanks all, if you need any more info , please don't hesitate to ask.

Chris
Old April 12th, 2006, 09:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Chris Rennert" wrote in message
.. .
Hey all, I had a new trolling motor (Minn-Kota Maxxum 70lb) put on when
I had my new outboard put on last spring. They completely re-ran new
wire, and everything seemed to run good till close to the end of last
season. I noticed that at times, the trolling motor would all of sudden
stop responding to anything I did. I would screw with the plug, and
then it would work again. I pulled off the panel on the bow , and it
seems that all the wires are secure, and the plug on the trolling motor,
and well as the female end on the panel seem to make a strong
connection. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with something
like this, and wondered if it could possibly be the trolling motor itself?

Thanks all, if you need any more info , please don't hesitate to ask.

Chris

You run on high speed a lot? Is the switch melted?

--
Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old April 12th, 2006, 09:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Chris Rennert wrote:
Hey all, I had a new trolling motor (Minn-Kota Maxxum 70lb) put on when
I had my new outboard put on last spring. They completely re-ran new
wire, and everything seemed to run good till close to the end of last
season. I noticed that at times, the trolling motor would all of sudden
stop responding to anything I did. I would screw with the plug, and
then it would work again. I pulled off the panel on the bow , and it
seems that all the wires are secure, and the plug on the trolling motor,
and well as the female end on the panel seem to make a strong
connection. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with something
like this, and wondered if it could possibly be the trolling motor itself?

Thanks all, if you need any more info , please don't hesitate to ask.

Chris

i had a similar problem with my 80lb minn kota last year. it would
stop responding until i jiggled the wires coming out of the motor to
the foot control. thought it was a loose wire but when i took it in
for repair they told me that the armature was bad and that it was a
common problem lately. evidently the motor sometimes lands on a "dead
spot" and pulling on the wire bundle moves it just enough to get going
again. ended up replacing the whole lower unit under warranty.

Old April 12th, 2006, 10:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

[...]

What kind of plug and socket do you have? On one of my boats, I used the
cheap, three prong plug and constantly had problems like you describe. On
the last two boats, I had the twist-lock type of plug/socket and that worked
much better. I never once had a problem, although the plug and socket are
much more costly.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old April 14th, 2006, 12:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

It also might be your circuit breaker back by the battery. I had one go bad
on the ODF, causing intermittent power problems. The time it took me to
jiggle wires, unplug and plug the trolling motor, and stomp around a bit
evidently was enough for the breaker to cool off and start working again.
The problem continued until finally I checked the circuit breaker. I
confirmed it was the culprit by rerouting the wire around it. I meant to
replace it at some point, but just left it rewired for several months.
Finally I sold the ODF to Doc, and that solved my problem.

Joe
"Chris Rennert" wrote in message
.. .
snipI was wondering if anyone had any experience with something
like this, and wondered if it could possibly be the trolling motor itself?

Old April 14th, 2006, 08:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Does Doc buy everyone's old boats? I need to call him...

Warren