Hook removal from bass

Old June 16th, 2006, 07:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Default Hook removal from bass

I live on a small pond and have stocked it with the usual bass,
crappie, bluegill and catfish.
Yesterday I was fishing and caught a 4.25 lb largemouth on a senko and
4/0 wide gap worm hook. When I got it in, I noticed that I didn't catch
the fish on the lip but he had *almost* swallowed it. I gently tugged
it but it wouldn't give so I cut the line as close to the hook as I
could get and put him back in the water. He swam away pretty healthily
and I figure he'll spit the hook and senko out eventually.
Is this the right thing to do? I didn't want to keep it out of the
water too long and was afraid I'd tear it up if I tried much else - as
it was, I could see no evidence of bleeding, so that was good.
So, was there anything else I could/should have done?

Old June 16th, 2006, 11:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Seismo" wrote in message
oups.com...
I live on a small pond and have stocked it with the usual bass,
crappie, bluegill and catfish.
Yesterday I was fishing and caught a 4.25 lb largemouth on a senko and
4/0 wide gap worm hook. When I got it in, I noticed that I didn't catch
the fish on the lip but he had *almost* swallowed it. I gently tugged
it but it wouldn't give so I cut the line as close to the hook as I
could get and put him back in the water. He swam away pretty healthily
and I figure he'll spit the hook and senko out eventually.
Is this the right thing to do? I didn't want to keep it out of the
water too long and was afraid I'd tear it up if I tried much else - as
it was, I could see no evidence of bleeding, so that was good.
So, was there anything else I could/should have done?

This info was posted on 6/06 "Gullet Hooked"
Alaskan420" wrote in message
Background...

I fish a local pond fairly regularly. It has a very high level of toxic
metals and other contaminants left behind from tanneries and mills.

I have caught numerous bass and pickerel with lesions and sores.

NOTHING CAN BE EATEN.

This spring I seem to be deep hooking more fish than normal. Usually I am
able to lip hook 85-90% of the time.

Anyway. What should ethically be done with an inedible fish that has been
gullet hooked?

I clipped the line on two yesterday and left the hook in the fish and
released 'em. With the quality of hook materials I doubt they just melt
away
like the old wives tale tells us.

Today I tried surgery on one. The patient was alive when I got the hook
out
but bleeding badly. I watched her struggle and die.

Any ideas????

I already crimp the barbs when I fish this pond.

I wish I had an easy answer. Here's something you can read that might help
you out.

http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com/modu... der=0&thold=0

One thing I can tell you is that releasing the fish gives it a better chance
than if it was "released to grease."
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old June 17th, 2006, 01:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Seismo wrote:
I live on a small pond and have stocked it with the usual bass,
crappie, bluegill and catfish.
Yesterday I was fishing and caught a 4.25 lb largemouth on a senko and
4/0 wide gap worm hook. When I got it in, I noticed that I didn't catch
the fish on the lip but he had *almost* swallowed it. I gently tugged
it but it wouldn't give so I cut the line as close to the hook as I
could get and put him back in the water. He swam away pretty healthily
and I figure he'll spit the hook and senko out eventually.
Is this the right thing to do? I didn't want to keep it out of the
water too long and was afraid I'd tear it up if I tried much else - as
it was, I could see no evidence of bleeding, so that was good.
So, was there anything else I could/should have done?

Going in through the gill with long nose pliers allows the quick and
clean removal of hooks that otherwise seem too deep to deal with without
hurting the fish.
Old June 18th, 2006, 02:13 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"RichZ" wrote in message
Seismo wrote:
[...]

I did that today with a deep hooked fish. I cut off about 18" of line.
Dropped the line through the gill and then pulled. It turned the hook
enough so I could grab it by the curve with my long nose pliers, and it
popped right out.

It would sure be nice to know if that fish will survive or not.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

Old June 19th, 2006, 10:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

I have taken many hooks out through the gills, Just be very careful