Cabo San Lucas - sportfishing charters /where to stay ?

Old August 26th, 2006, 07:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
- Bobb -

Default Cabo San Lucas - sportfishing charters /where to stay ?

Anyone been there / done that and have a recommendation ? We always go
to Miami/Keys so we're looking for something different. I'm always
joking with the skippers there that the only time I see a marlin
is on the wall in a bar or on a cap and I think they're like unicorns.

So 3 of us are gonna head to Cabo for a few days in mid-january to try
to get a few.

We're thinking that we'd stay in a cheap place near the boat for a few
days (while fishing) and then maybe move/stay a few days on the beach -
to just sit back and enjoy. Normally in FLA, we'd catch some "eating
fish" in the early morning, then go for sailfish the rest of the day. At
night
we'd bring the catch to a local bar/restaurant and they'd prepare it for
us - do they do that in Mexico ?
Maybe I should ask SHOULD we do it in Mexico ?
I'm just starting to research so any info on areas to choose/avoid would
be appreciated. Also I've been checking prices online. $300-400 per day
for a 4 passenger boat seem about right ?

Bobb

Old August 26th, 2006, 08:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Whatmeworry

- Bobb - wrote:
[...]

Unless you are prepared to spend alot of money forget Cabo. It is
expensive, the fishing is ok. Save some $$$ and search out fishing/
lodging in San Jose del Cabo or east cape area. La Paz would be good
too. I did the Cabo thing for the last time this past July and it was ok
but has just become too damn expensive. I've also heard lots of good
reports from Puerta Vallarta, not sure of the $$$ though.

Lou

Old August 27th, 2006, 03:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Whatmeworry

- Bobb - wrote:
[...]

Mazatland is good also...how did I forget that place!!! 3 years ago
we caught 4 sails in one afternoon. Lots of history in that city
also.Zihjuteneo (sp?) gets high marks from some also.
Old August 27th, 2006, 10:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
T3

"Whatmeworry" wrote in message
news6iIg.14473$lv.1926@fed1read12...
- Bobb - wrote:
[...]

Yeah it's good and prolly one of the better priced deals going...

Old August 28th, 2006, 02:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
- Bobb -

EXCELLENT, Thanks very much Bill.

One more thing I forgot to ask.... everything else being equal: for 3-4
guys should we get a ... 28', 32' etc ? Might we get 2 at once and be in
each other's way on a smaller boat ? In January, assuming we take turns
bringing 'em in - would we catch a few each ? would we be lucky to hook
into 1 or 2 per day total ? Or more like 1 per hour ?

As for striped/blue marlin: I wanted to go earlier for the blue marlin,
but was outvoted. We're in Boston and the consensus was that striped
marlin and a warm climate in JANUARY is better than anything in OCTOBER
(when the weather's not bad here) . Also we can see how we do with the
"small ones" before tackling the big ones.

Thanks again - I'm off to check out these boat sites.

Bobb

"Bill" wrote in message
ups.com...
- Bobb - wrote:

Anyone been there / done that and have a recommendation ?

Used to visit Cabo 3-4 times a year, couple of years my wife and I
made
the AFTCO/Billfish Foundation list for being among the top tag/release
anglers for striped marlin, most caught in Cabo (few in Panama or East
Cape). So we know it well ...

I would recommend Pisces Fleet or Reel Easy or Gaviota for mid-range
prices and boats ... http://www.piscessportfishing.com/ for Pisces,
the manager is a British lady (Tracy) and she and her Mexican husband
own this fleet ... a couple of times they had the # 1 striped marlin
release boat in the world and are easy to work with.

http://www.reeleasysportfishing.com/ ... the owner of this fleet,
Mike
Hebert, is a Texas engineer and very good to work with as well ...
nice
boats, nice guy.

I don't have the Gaviota site handy but they have comparable boats ...
they switch captains a lot though ...

So we're gonna head to Cabo for a few days in mid-january to try to
get a few.

January is usually good for striped marlin but water is too cold then
for blue marlin. It's pretty exciting fishing because typically you
troll lures until you see a marlin finning on the surface or maybe
sniffing at the lures, then you (or more likely your deckie) cast a
mackerel in front of the marlin and hope he lights up and takes the
bait ... so you can use light tackle and get to see the strike on the
surface.

We're thinking that we'd stay in a cheap place near the boat for a
few days (while fishing) and then maybe move/stay a few days on the
beach - to just sit back and enjoy.

If you decide on Reel Easy there's a nice mid-range hotel right beside
the boat, I think it's Marina Fiesta or something like that. This one
is on the marina, not the ocean though. Mike could give you some
other tips on hotels as well.

If you decide on Pisces there's a loud touristy hotel right by the
boats, Plaza Las Glorias, I didn't like staying there because of the
noise (a lot of people go to Cabo to party hearty so there are many
drunks) but it's right there by the dock ... would also recommend
Finisterra if you fish with Pisces, it's maybe 400 yards walk but on
the ocean ... but a fancy, expensive hotel. If you want something
decent but cheap then Mar de Cortez is the right hotel for you, maybe
$45 per night or so ...

I think there are links to these on the Pisces page, except they
probably don't recommend PLG.

Normally in FLA, we'd catch some "eating
fish" in the early morning, then sailfish the rest of the day. At
night
we'd bring the catch to a local bar/restaurant and they'd prepare it
for
us - do they do that in Mexico ? Maybe I should ask SHOULD we do it
in
Mexico ?

Not as many food fish around off-shore that time of year (a lot more
in
the summer) but you might pick up a dorado (your dolphin-fish) or
yellow-fin tuna while marlin fishing. The marlin seem to be eating
squid and mackerel :there is a dockside restaurant beside the Pisces
office that will cook your fish for you and serve it with side orders
for $5 or so (or at least they did the last time I was there). Also
you can have it cooked for you at the Mar de Cortez if you stay there
... so no problems doing this. I'm sure Tracy or Mike could recommend
half a dozen other restaurants for this as well.

Also I've been checking prices online. $~300 per day for a 4
passenger boat - seem right ?

Sounds a bit low to me for the 28 ft boats, a lot low for the 31 ft
and
larger boats ... you'll also have to buy 10 live baits (maybe $20) and
drinks and meals each day on the boat. You have to watch how they are
pricing things, some people give you a low-ball figure and then later
tell you you have to buy the license and pay the tax while others
include these in the base cost (I think Pisces even includes 24 drinks
in the cost, or at least they used to).

Also at times in January the marlin are on the reefs well north of
Cabo so there's a 20 mile run or so to get there and the low ball
boats
won't go because of gas costs ... so be careful who you book with.
Most of the boats won't shortchange you, but when you are pushing to
save the last $20 or so that's when you can run into the groups that
cut their costs by saving on gas or whatever and you may not be happy
with the trip. I would rather save $$ by staying at the Mar de Cortez
with the other fishermen and surfers and spend some of the savings on
better boat ...

Bill

Old August 31st, 2006, 11:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
jeff

- Bobb - wrote:

[...]

think about guatemala...

300-400 is cheap, doubt you'll find a decent charter for marlin fishing
anywhere at that price, unless you go out in a center console/outboard rig.