Dip bait question

Old July 23rd, 2007, 03:02 AM posted to alt.fishing.catfish
Roger Lester[_2_]

Default Dip bait question

Hi,
I am planning a 4 day fishing trip next week and plan to try Premo
blood flavored dip bait and Big Bite Extreme liver and cheese flavored
dip bait. Has anybody here had any luck with these?

Thanks, Roger
Old July 23rd, 2007, 09:31 PM posted to alt.fishing.catfish
Bob

"Roger Lester" wrote in message
t...
Hi,
I am planning a 4 day fishing trip next week and plan to try Premo
blood flavored dip bait and Big Bite Extreme liver and cheese
flavored dip bait. Has anybody here had any luck with these?

Thanks, Roger

I'm not familiar with the brands you mention, but I know a lot of
people who use dip baits with reasonable success and somewhat less
success with cheese baits.

Don't know what kind of catfish you are after, when you fish, or
where you fish,and that makes a big difference.

I generally fish rivers and use live bream (perch) for bait on limb
lines, fishing mostly for big flatheads which we call "yellow cats".
Occasionally catch a good sized Blue and / or channel, but mostly
yellow cats. They range from 18 to 30 inches and weigh from 7 to 40
pounds. I always put my lines out in late afternoon and run them
early- light the next day.

If you are fishing for small channels, I'd say maybe that stuff is
okay, but I certainly can't vouch for it.

Bob-tx

Old July 25th, 2007, 03:17 PM posted to alt.fishing.catfish
Rich

Unless you're after dink channel cats...I wouldn't waste my time with
manufactured baits...Try using Bluegills,small bullheads,shad,or
suckers...You can use them live(which is what I prefer)...Or cut them up &
use them as cut bait...Let the fish dictate on how to use them...If live
bait ain't working then switch to fresh cut bait....Or try a combo with one
rod baited with cut bait & another with live bait....If you're bait has been
dead for @least an hour....Cut up a live bluegill or shad & rebait....Don't
totally discount crawlers...They can catch you some nice fish....Lastly if
all else fails..Then go to the dip baits or chicken livers...WTH @ this
point it couldn't hurt...You've tried all other tactics with no luck so you
might as well go to the unconventional....

Old July 30th, 2007, 01:43 PM posted to alt.fishing.catfish
Nick

I agree with Rich. If you want to catch big catfish, go for the bluegills or
shad to use for bait. Fish them either live or freshly cut up. Change the cut
bait often. You won't get any large cats on dip bait or stink bait.

Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:29 AM posted to alt.fishing.catfish
Wesley Smith

I just heard of A good bait for catfish.
Here it is!
1. hot dog (cut into bite size pieces)
2. Soke in vinegar
3. Add garlic powder or garlic salt
Soke in fridge for three days.
Put on treble hook and pull the fish in.
Make sure your wife does not cook them
for A meal. I wouldnt thinkthey taste very good.
LOL

Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:44 AM posted to alt.fishing.catfish
Wesley Smith

If you like dip baits you might this one it works pritty good. It is
called Danny Kings punch bait.
It has cattail in it so it can stay on a treble hook.
You will have to push the hookdown with a stick or something to keep
from getting it on your hands. It will come off pritty easy but will
still smell no matter what. Another good dip bait is
milo from a feed store. Mix with water and keep in sun for two or three
days. this you will not be able to get off for three or more
days.Stinky)
well I hope I helped someone out there.
From Texas!

Old August 16th, 2007, 05:40 AM posted to alt.fishing.catfish
[email protected]

On Aug 2, 12:44 am, (Wesley Smith) wrote:
If you like dip baits you might this one it works pritty good. It is
called Danny Kings punch bait.
It has cattail in it so it can stay on a treble hook.
You will have to push the hookdown with a stick or something to keep
from getting it on your hands. It will come off pritty easy but will
still smell no matter what. Another good dip bait is
milo from a feed store. Mix with water and keep in sun for two or three
days. this you will not be able to get off for three or more
days.Stinky)
well I hope I helped someone out there.
From Texas!

Your Friend,
Tackle-box
Good fishing

Wes Fishing Page

My preferred baits are small bluegill, shad, any kind of cut fish that
can legally be used for bait, and, finally, shrimp. I've caught good
sized cats on shrimp. Usually, I just buy a $5 1 lb bag of Wal Mart
frozen shrimp, medium 60-80 count. Shrimp is a good bait if you are
doing a lot of moving around. Dip and stink baits are messy and
smelly. Danny Kings and Sonny's are probably the best, at least the
only ones I've had luck with.

Old September 3rd, 2007, 01:12 AM posted to alt.fishing.catfish
Steve Erwin

I'll say that shad is the number 1 bait, cut or whole. Second best , for me
anyways, is Danny Kings. I use it rod and reel fishing but use it and much
more success using it on my juglines. I use a #4 treble. Push it down into
it and pull out at an angle to load it up. Casts great and is hard to get
off.

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 2, 12:44 am, (Wesley Smith) wrote:
If you like dip baits you might this one it works pritty good. It is
called Danny Kings punch bait.
It has cattail in it so it can stay on a treble hook.
You will have to push the hookdown with a stick or something to keep
from getting it on your hands. It will come off pritty easy but will
still smell no matter what. Another good dip bait is
milo from a feed store. Mix with water and keep in sun for two or three
days. this you will not be able to get off for three or more
days.Stinky)
well I hope I helped someone out there.
From Texas!

Old July 1st, 2011, 07:36 PM
rioncapsi rioncapsi is offline
Junior Member

I about angle rivers and use reside bream (perch) for allurement on limb lines, fishing mostly for big flatheads which we alarm "yellow cats". Occasionally bolt a acceptable sized Blue and / or channel, but mostly yellow cats.