back after 30 years (maybe more) need small advice...

Old July 10th, 2004, 04:34 AM
Henry Hefner

Default back after 30 years (maybe more) need small advice...

Is this dictionary in the FAQ? If not, it should be.
Old July 11th, 2004, 02:20 AM
Andrew Kidd

Thanks Henry. It's not in there, but I can probably get around to it.

Anyone have any suggesions on items that might need to be included?

I thought that maybe a description of each of the reel types might be
helpful as well, especially considering the original request of this
thread...

--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!

Old July 11th, 2004, 09:49 PM
Bob La Londe

I liked the charts so much I printed out a couple of each to take to the
local tackle stores.

--
** FREE Fishing Lures
** Weekly drawing

Andrew Kidd wrote:

Anyone have any suggesions on items that might need to be included?

I thought that maybe a description of each of the reel types might be
helpful as well, especially considering the original request of this
thread...

I think you are probably right. As for another suggestion, I like the
Secret Weapon Lures color and blade type charts. For a beginner, all the
choices to make can be intimidating.

Old July 11th, 2004, 11:31 PM
Bob Rickard

Thank you, Robert! :-)

--
Bob Rickard
(AKA Dr. Spinnerbait)

news

Old July 12th, 2004, 02:30 AM
Mike Corrieri

WOW! That was a great post - incredibly useful information there,
especially for reading the threads here and catching up on what people
are talking about. Thanks!

I don't know if everybody knew this much when I was a kid, but is
sure seems like there is a level of sophistication that wasn't there
in the sixties (at least I didn't know about it). I wonder - have the
fish gotten smarter too? I didn't even get a bite!

I spent day one fussing with the Mitchell - I will be taking it back
tomorrow. A local store had another spinning reel called an "Okuma
Epixor EF20", I bought it, and that was simple and smooth to use (plus
it didn't tend to suck the line everywhere but onto the spool). It may
not be one of the 100+ reels like they had in the case, but it is way
beyond my ability. The store in Prescott had a wide selection of
lures, and I noticed most were heavy for my pole. Guess I need a
heavier pole, but I will keep this medium light as well.

I did get a spinning lure, and finally got in the groove with it this
morning - still, no fish! I don't feel to bad though, nobody I
encountered could even speak of a bite. Did I have fun? YES!!!!

Can anybody recommend a good book? There is a lot to learn, that's a
fact. The guide idea is good too, any idea what something like that
costs for a day?

Thanks for all the great help guys!

Mike C.
Old July 12th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)

Mike, check out the Okuma Avenger AV-20, it's lighter than the Epixor model,
you'll love it..

m...

Old July 18th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Mike Corrieri" wrote in message
m...
WOW! That was a great post - incredibly useful information there,
especially for reading the threads here and catching up on what people
are talking about. Thanks!

Can anybody recommend a good book? There is a lot to learn, that's a
fact. The guide idea is good too, any idea what something like that
costs for a day?

***There is a wonderful gentleman and friend of mine by the name of Ronnie
Garrison that frequents this group. He's written a book introducing people
to fishing called "The Everything Fishing Book". I have a copy and I think
it would be great for the beginning angler.

I guide many beginning anglers and they've told me that they've gotten more
good info in one day than they could have gotten in a month of fishing on
their own. Typically, a guide is going to run in the neighborhood of
$200-$250 for a full day. While it sounds like a lot, you'll learn about
rod/reel selection, lure selection, locational elements of fishing and
behavior patterns. IF you keep an open mind and ask questions, and can take
that information home with you and apply it to your home waters, you'll have
a good jump on the learning curve.

Thanks for all the great help guys!

***This is a good place for information and a fun place to hang out.
Another place is http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com in the forums section.
There, we talk about more than bass fishing, with hunting thrown in as well.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com