Fly Fishing in the Grand Junction, CO area

Old October 16th, 2007, 10:12 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
NeedsHelp

Default Fly Fishing in the Grand Junction, CO area

Hello All,
I will be heading out to Grand Junction, CO at the end of this
week and will be there until about the 29th. I just cannot pass up
fishing on the CO river while I am there. Besides my elk and mule
deer permit, a fishing license is soon to follow. I was wondering if
anybody had any useful information pertaining to that area? Perhaps
there is a local in here that would like to meet up with a fellow
blood brother of the mistical fly rod?
AC
Old October 20th, 2007, 04:39 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
Halfordian Golfer

On Oct 16, 4:12 pm, NeedsHelp wrote:
Hello All,
I will be heading out to Grand Junction, CO at the end of this
week and will be there until about the 29th. I just cannot pass up
fishing on the CO river while I am there. Besides my elk and mule
deer permit, a fishing license is soon to follow. I was wondering if
anybody had any useful information pertaining to that area? Perhaps
there is a local in here that would like to meet up with a fellow
blood brother of the mistical fly rod?
AC

Howdy,

Down that close to he border of Utah, the Colorado and Gunnison are
more known for catfish than trout, though I suspect there are some
freeking behemoths that move down there. I know very large trout are
caught, fairly regularly, not too far upstream. Debeque being a
reasonable demarcation. Each of these major rivers get better and
better and better from GJ the further upstream you go. None of it
sucks, wherever you can find access, fish. Definitely check in with
the shops for advice, could put you on some water that is fishing well
a lot quicker. Also of extreme interest, especially in the fall would
be just about anywhere on the Grand Mesa. There are some excellent
loop drives that are as scenic as it gets. When you're done fishing,
don't forget to make time for the Orchard Mesa wine tasting loop.
Also, of you can make it around thanksgiving there is an unbelievable
fishery for whitefish.

Post back on how it went.

Bone

Old November 9th, 2007, 12:41 AM posted to alt.flyfishing
NeedsHelp

Well my fishing expedition wasn't as successful as the deer hunting
but it was much better than the elk hunt. I only fished for the last
half day before getting on the plane. I figured the fishing license
was only 26.00 and my elk tag was 500 so I opted to elk hunt longer
than previously anticipated. I bumbed around the Colorado west of
mesa, the plateau creek, and some ponds I found along the way. I did
get to check out but not fish the lakes/ponds up on the mesa. The
were a bit frozen when I was up there ;o) No matter what, the views
were spectacular.

Old November 9th, 2007, 10:17 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
Halfordian Golfer

wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the trip report. I agree that it is spectacular there.
Probably no skeeters on that trip which is a huge blessing there.

Best regards,

Tim