winter fly fishing solutions?

Old November 29th, 2007, 03:55 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
salmobytes

Default winter fly fishing solutions?

It's about 10 degrees F here in Gallation CO
Montana right now. I hunt when it's below zero. So I don't mind
being out in the cold. But I don't fish because it drives me
nuts when the flyrod eyes fill with ice.

Is there any solution? Magic cuss words? Vaseline?
Anybody ever tie a rod up with huge spinning rod guides?
Battery-pack flyrod with a wire running up the middle?

Old November 29th, 2007, 08:43 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
Halfordian Golfer

On Nov 29, 8:55 am, salmobytes wrote:
It's about 10 degrees F here in Gallation CO
Montana right now. I hunt when it's below zero. So I don't mind
being out in the cold. But I don't fish because it drives me
nuts when the flyrod eyes fill with ice.

Is there any solution? Magic cuss words? Vaseline?
Anybody ever tie a rod up with huge spinning rod guides?
Battery-pack flyrod with a wire running up the middle?

I always just go with the magic cuss words.

Your pal,

Tim
Old November 29th, 2007, 08:48 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
redietz

On Nov 29, 10:55 am, salmobytes wrote:
It's about 10 degrees F here in Gallation CO
Montana right now. I hunt when it's below zero. So I don't mind
being out in the cold. But I don't fish because it drives me
nuts when the flyrod eyes fill with ice.

Is there any solution? Magic cuss words? Vaseline?
Anybody ever tie a rod up with huge spinning rod guides?
Battery-pack flyrod with a wire running up the middle?

I've had good luck with carrying a can of Pam (the spray-on cooking
oil) in my vest and applying as needed. Caveat: I've never tried this
with the temperature below the teens.

Old November 29th, 2007, 09:28 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
[email protected]

On 29-Nov-2007, Halfordian Golfer wrote:

On Nov 29, 8:55 am, salmobytes wrote:
It's about 10 degrees F here in Gallation CO
Montana right now. I hunt when it's below zero. So I don't mind
being out in the cold. But I don't fish because it drives me
nuts when the flyrod eyes fill with ice.

Is there any solution? Magic cuss words? Vaseline?
Anybody ever tie a rod up with huge spinning rod guides?
Battery-pack flyrod with a wire running up the middle?

I always just go with the magic cuss words.

Your pal,

Tim

Its the same here in Montana
I wear rubberized somwhat water resistant gloves - palm and finger tips -
about $5 a pr or even less
It gives me the dexterinty to use my fingers to clear the ice
I use the same gloves when I run my chain saw and handle wood in cold
weather.

But I also do freeze and cuss a lot.

Fred

If you get too wet and cosd - you gotta go home!
Sometime I bring am
Old November 30th, 2007, 02:01 AM posted to alt.flyfishing
Tim Lysyk

Sometimes it's pretty unpleasant. I pick at the ice on the guides, get a
few good casts, well, lobs mostly, then pick again. The water on the
lines gets my fingers cold, and that bugs me the most. I also have never
found a good solution. I have used neoprene gloves, but the tight fit
just makes my fingers colder.

Tim Lysyk
Old December 8th, 2007, 01:25 AM posted to alt.flyfishing
Mike[_6_]

On 4 Dec, 01:24, "Guy" guytee2 at comcast dot net wrote:
I hear Pam works. Haven't tried it though. I jsut hold my fly rod under
water a few seconds and the ice is gone. Have to do it fairly often. I wish
I were anywhere I could fish for trout, no matter what the conditions. The
ice is worth it when your in heaven.

Use a chapstick on your rod rings. http://www.chapstick.com/

Other brands work as well.

TL