is this a silly idea? (surf fishing in Florida)

Old March 4th, 2005, 07:37 AM
joe

In article .com,
wrote:

Thanks for the info. I have a couple of follow-up questions:

1) Spoons: mine are the "weedless" type. Is that also ok in the surf
(I realize there is not much weed there, but it could save me the cost
of getting another one).

The weedless spoon is fine. I have seen no missed hook ups due to the
weed guard. In fact, it can be an indicator of a missed hit. If you
think the spoon got bumped by a fish and upon looking at the spoon the
weed guard is bent down, you had a hit. That means there is/was an
interested fish out there where you last cast and you should try another
cast quickly in that same area.

If weeds are not an issue, there are many other spoons, sometimes at a
lower cost that will work as well. Some, with a trailing hook rather
than an integrated hook, maybe with a rattle or a skirt. These will have
a slightly different action and I have used these also when weeds are
not a problem.

2) Spoons & weight: which size spoon should I choose? I mean - the
heavier, the further I can cast it, in particular in a windy day, but
heavier is also bigger, which might end up being too big for the fish.
Can I add weight to the leader by adding a couple of splint shot
sinkers or is the entire beach going to choke to death while laughing
at me :-)

As noted above, there are many different 'spoons' and they have
different actions and benefits. The Johnson Minnow spoon comes in sizes
as much as an ounce (I have not seen them in many stores) which is a
large spoon. It is always surprising how small a fish can actually go
after even large lures. It will probably limit smaller fish though. The
Johnson Minnow spoon is light for the size and the wind will effect the
distance.

There is one 'spoon' as I recall, the 'KastMaster' which has high mass
for the size and can be cast a mile. Not sure how much action it has and
it would need to be retrieved at a speed to keep it from going too deep
in shallower water. Along with the weight is how much area the spoon has
which could impart more action or more lift to keep the spoon riding
higher in the water column.

There is a consideration with a spoon or any lure actually of how fast
it may need to be worked. For sinking lures this is important as shallow
water will find the lure on the bottom which works for some but not for
all. I don't often add weight but you can do this. It could allow you to
fish a light, wobbly spoon at a deeper depth if needed.

3) a little off-topic here, but I still want to ask you. Is is really
that bad to fish with a swivel/snap when using a lure? I use Yo-Zuri
and Rapala Original Floating lures and while I do notice a difference
in behavior (it takes less pull to have them go deeper) it is slight.
I was under the impression that the problem with a swivel/snap is that
it is too *visible* for the fish, but my (maybe mistaken) commen sense
tells me that a fish seeing a lure with a lure on leader with a
swivel/snap will think that the lure is "chasing" the rest of the
hardware, I mean - this is a fish, not a PhD student from MIT, I am
trying to catch - I am really mistaken here?

On sal****er fish, with a lure, it is less likely to be a visibility
issue with a lure. I am just not sure that if I am already throwing a
piece of plastic or metal, potentially with three treble hooks hanging
off of it that a small swivel at the eyelet will visually turn off a
fish. But, in some cases it could. Really more likely though in the
potentially un-natural action it may add to a lure that otherwise is
designed to be imitate a wonded or scared bait fish.

When the water is low, the area is open, the temps are cold and fish are
less aggressive they may look more closely at the lure and who knows
what could turn them off.

Ultimately I would do what you are comfortable with if you are catching
fish. If you are not catching fish you may want to try something
different. It really is not too difficult or time consuming to tie on a
lure. My biggest concern usually that I am whacking away at my leader
which if fluorocarbon can be expensive. I suggest using fluoro as it is
less visible to fish reportedly along with being less stiff allowing
great lure action. Since you are using a heavier line than your running
line, a less sucure knot, even 70 percent break strength is still
greater than your running line.

For swimming lures I use the Homer Rhodes knot. Very easy to tie, simply
two overhand knots that jam together. It is a weak knot but when tied in
20 - 40 pound leader material for light tackle angling it has caught
many fish for me without fail.

This is a great animated display of how to tie this simple knot:

http://www.noreast.com/knots/knotspage3.cfm

Here is a link to a forum that mentions knots; of course every angler
you talk to will have a different suggestion it seems.

http://pierandsurf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3571&goto=nextoldest

On one hand, my only fishing book (-: unsurprizingly and adequately
called "Fishing for Dummies" :-) says that "some anglers use snaps for
changing lures or baits as well. This technique is a lazy person's way
out, and is definitely NOT the way to get the best action out of your
lure" while, on the other hand, local fishermen had told me that this
is simply "techno-snobism from purists" (and quote here). What do you
think?

You will always find someone who has an opinion on something. Me
included. However, if you are having a good time and not hurting anyone
you should do what you enjoy. If it means more to you to 'fit in' then
you may compromise and play along if you want. If you go out and catch
fish, your 'peculiar' method may suddenly be the 'in thing' to do.

I have caught fish in some strange ways, a spoon sitting on the bottom
while I undo a wind knot and immediately when I begin to reel in a fish
is on. The fish would have had to be right on top of it all that time
waiting it seems.

Personally i would probably not use the snap swivel in everything as I
think it may effect my catch. Nothing to do with a snobbish view really.
If you are are not missing any fish due to the snap I would use it if it
worked for you and provided the simplicity you are looking for.

Hope that answers your questions.

Good Fishin'

atljoe
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishing is Flat Fun!
Old March 4th, 2005, 07:50 AM
joe

In article .com,
wrote:

a guy in a shop around here reccommended to me the following lures for
surf fishing:

1) Nemire Red Ripper Lure (silver color)
2) Nemire Spoon Buzzer Sr 5/8 ounce lure

Any opinions on these two?

Someone local would probably know more than I; I have used the Nemire,
they look great.

Never caught anything on them and they have a premium price.

There are similar lures cheaper I think. It is surprising how many bass
lures are showing up in sal****er. I have used some of the big bladed
spinner type lures and caught nice redfish.

Would probably not hurt to buy one and try it.

I noted you also have a kayak; you should definitely look at using that
in the intercoastal. I am not familiar specifically with that area but
there should be some spots that fish target bait on tide flows.

I went out with a kayak guide up (down for me) in Jacksonville/St.
Augustine to get some ideas of what I was doing wrong (could always
catch fish in Tampa flats). I had used some of the right techniques and
even hit some spots correctly but when we went it was a much lower tide
than I had expected. What was a large, grass spotted area was a maze of
small creeks when we fished it. Where the 'creeks' joined typcially were
deeper holes that held fish. Also, where there as a point and a fast
current reds were hanging out for bait to be washed through.

Try the 'paddle-fishing.com' site http://www.paddle-fishing.com to see
if there is anyone there in your area.

Good Fihsin'

atljoe
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishing is Flat Fun!
Old March 4th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Sarge

What you are using will work but you will not have the casting distance that
the larger poles have. Your rod is not designed for surf fishing but you
can use it. Try casting 3 and 4 inch lures such as Sal****er Assassins,
sparkle beetles and other similar type lures between the breaks in the sand
bars. Bait fish will congregate in between theses breaks and the predators
will prowl here for food.

You may want to wade out into the water to fish to get better distance. If
you decide to wade do not take steps but move by sliding your feet along the
bottom. This way you will not step on a stingray. Sliding your foot may
hot one but they will move and not sting. Wear long pants to help protect
your legs in case you do accidentally step on a sting ray and protection
from jelly fish. Wear beach shoes or tennis shoes for foot protection.

If you do catch a fish, never put the fish on a stringer attached to your
body unless it is a floating stringer that floats away from your body. Many
surf fisherman have been accidentally bitten by sharks going after the fish
on the stringer.

Wearing a PFD for safety is not a bad idea if you are worried about rip
tides, drop off are other unexpected lost of footing.

Sarge

Old March 13th, 2005, 04:01 AM
sprattoo

My first experience in surf casting was with a light 6' rod that I had been
using for trout/brook fishing and spin-casting for bass. I got tangled up
with the other guys and made a mess...

The next day I bought a frozen Mackerel and was determined to learn how to
fish for stripers. 45 mins. later I walked away from the rocks with a 26 or
27" striper that doubled my poe over when I was fighting him. Even if he had
broken the pole and pulled me in it would have been a TON of fun. I
personally have come to hate the braided line.. but if you like it, great.

If you can get a baited hook in the water and reel in a fish.... what you
have is great I say! If anyone scoffs at your rod and set-up, they really
aren't much in the way of sportsmen. i have seen kids with $8.00 Walmart
poles catch more than the guy with the $300.00 reel /rod. I don't think the
fish look up out of the water to see the pricetag on your reel.

My first striper cost me $4.00 of 12-15LB monofilament, .25 cent 1 Oz.
sinker and a .15 cent hook. (still have the line and the hook i think).
Don't sweat it.. just go give it a try.

--
_______________________________
Everything from fishing to Freaks
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I am a complete beginner in fishing and my only experience so far was
fishing in the Mosqito Lagoon in East Central Florida, close to Cape
Canaveral. Using a 6 foot rod, a braided line (20lbs equivalent), a
metal leader (also 20lbs) with a swivel and a snap (I know, this is a
newbie's sin, but it allows me to changes lures easily) and a Jonhson's
Silver Minnow (which is actually golden) I caught speckled sea trouts.

I am thinking of trying to catch some fish in the surf off the closest
beach. All the fishermen here use very large fighing poles and live
bait so I wonder, is my idea of using a small 6 foot rod with my
braided line and my Johnson spoon really silly, or might I still catch
something?

(I do not have the money for another rod, nor do I feel comfortable
changing my line, but I would gladly use another lure if advised to do
so).

Any advice/comments would be very much appreciated!

Kind regards,

TN