"Name this dog!"

Old December 31st, 2004, 11:15 PM
W. D. Grey

In article , daytripper
writes
He's a hack.

If a person truly connects with his dog, "treats" are unnecessary...

Maybe - but as they say "Don't shoot the messenger" :-)

A well aligned dog know who's boss and will obey his master.

The treats are only for the puppy stage to get things started as far as
I can see.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

Old December 31st, 2004, 11:19 PM
W. D. Grey

In article , Dave LaCourse
writes
Bill Grey writes:

Try Googling Dr Ian Dunbar - puppy training.

He emphasises that you must always make it worth the dog's while to come
to you with a treat, on copious praise.

Bingo! We have a winner!

I agree with your "make it worth the dog's while to come."

Not mine Dave - Dr. Ian Dunbar's comment.

Henry, our Golden,
is a wanderer. If we don't keep a sharp eye on him, he's off up the hill into
the woods to chase phantoms. One of us will go into the house and get the old
taxi horn (big brass horn with a bigger-than-a-grapefruit air bulb. Makes a
helluva toot. Two, three toots, and Henry comes running. We trained him by
having Jo and him answer the toot. Jo would come running off the hill with
Henry in fast pursuit. He got a cookie. She got a hug and her dinner.

Good to "see" you, Bill. Hope you, Anne and the pups are well.

Pup singular now - Gwilym was given peace last year after a long
unsuccessful period of treatment for epilepsy. We believe he had a brain
tumour :-(

Geraint on the other hand is just fine and full of the devil :-)

Best wishes to you and Joanne and Henry.

--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

Old January 1st, 2005, 12:59 AM
Tim J.

Dave LaCourse wrote:
Bill Grey writes:

Try Googling Dr Ian Dunbar - puppy training.

He emphasises that you must always make it worth the dog's while to
come to you with a treat, on copious praise.

Bingo! We have a winner!

I agree with your "make it worth the dog's while to come." Henry,
our Golden, is a wanderer. If we don't keep a sharp eye on him, he's
off up the hill into the woods to chase phantoms. One of us will go
into the house and get the old taxi horn (big brass horn with a
bigger-than-a-grapefruit air bulb. Makes a helluva toot. Two, three
toots, and Henry comes running. We trained him by having Jo and him
answer the toot. Jo would come running off the hill with Henry in
fast pursuit. He got a cookie. She got a hug and her dinner.

Yeah, but she got *you* in the bargain. With that kind of training,
you'd think Henry would have taken off in the other direction at the
speed of light! ;-) Then again, I'd chase after Jo, too.

HNY anyway.
--
TL,
Tim

Old January 1st, 2005, 01:10 AM
Cyli

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 23:15:29 +0000, "W. D. Grey"
wrote:

In article , daytripper
writes
He's a hack.

If a person truly connects with his dog, "treats" are unnecessary...

Maybe - but as they say "Don't shoot the messenger" :-)

A well aligned dog know who's boss and will obey his master.

The treats are only for the puppy stage to get things started as far as
I can see.

The 'treat' is the approval of the master once the lesson begins to
sink in. Dogs yearn for the approval of the master.

Cyli
r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
email: lid (strip the .invalid to email)

Old January 1st, 2005, 02:43 AM
rw

Cyli wrote:

The 'treat' is the approval of the master once the lesson begins to
sink in. Dogs yearn for the approval of the master.

Some do more than others. Golden Retrievers and Border Collies (my
favorite breeds) are at one end of the spectrum, and Siberians and
Malamutes and Akitas and Chows are at the other.

Old January 1st, 2005, 03:39 AM
Charlie Wilson

Beware of how times change, the poor pooch may get left behind. I aquired a
miserable Cocker Spaniel pup about 14 years ago, the name "Clarence" seemed
sooo cute at the time. Personal politics took a 180 degree flipflop in the
interim; hate the justice, but still love the mutt.