Alaska Fishing

Old February 3rd, 2008, 07:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Default Alaska Fishing

Basic query:

I'm planning a trip to Alaska this summer (July or August). Primary
reason is
not to fish, but wife and rugrats want to catch some salmon. We'll
probably be
starting in either Fairbanks or Anchorage, hitting Denali NP and then
can either
head down to the Seward or Homer areas.

Anyone have any suggestions for places and/or guides that won't break
the
bank for two adults and two kids....bears would be a huge plus.

Any advice is appreciated.
- Ken
Old February 3rd, 2008, 07:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 23:08:41 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Basic query:

I'm planning a trip to Alaska this summer (July or August). Primary
reason is
not to fish, but wife and rugrats want to catch some salmon. We'll
probably be
starting in either Fairbanks or Anchorage, hitting Denali NP and then
can either
head down to the Seward or Homer areas.

Anyone have any suggestions for places and/or guides that won't break
the
bank for two adults and two kids....bears would be a huge plus.

Any advice is appreciated.
- Ken

Hi, "Good" Ken,

The Kenai River is halfway down the peninsila and has a good run of
salmon, with rainbows feeding on their spawn. Unfortunately, I think
you will find it very crowded. The town of Soldotna is on the coast
where the Kenai empties into the ocean. You can follow the river
upstream using Ak Rt#1 - it more or less follows the river for a good
distance before leaving it, but then picks it up again above Skilak
Lake. The Kenai flows into Skilak out of Kenai Lake.

The Kenai has a great run of salmon. In July you can count on fresh
runs of Sockeye, Pinks, Chums and Silvers. Kings will be on the
spawn. In August, Pink and Silver salmon will be abundant in the
rivers, while the others will be on the spawn. Beads (probably
available in any fly/sporting store in the area) will be the best way
to go for rainbows and char, while big ugly streamers will work with
the salmon.

Beside the Kenai, there are lots of smaller streams. Because most of
these creeks/streams are available by automobile, I suspect you will
find it crowded. Best to buy an Alaska Atlas and Gazetteer to find
your way around.

Bears? Since you will be in the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge, I
doubt bear hunting is allowed, so they are familiar with man, and
since it is salmon season, you will probably see them on just about
every stream you plan on visiting. If there are salmon in the stream,
there will be Alaskan browns feeding on them.

I recommend "Alaskan Rainbows" by Larry Tullis, available through
Frank Amato Publications in Portland, Or.

Good luck. I can probably talk the "Evil" Ken to go with you, if
you'd like! He hasn't eaten any children in at least five years now!
d;o)

Old February 3rd, 2008, 10:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
CalifBill

" wrote in message
Basic query:

I'm planning a trip to Alaska this summer (July or August). Primary
reason is
not to fish, but wife and rugrats want to catch some salmon. We'll
probably be
starting in either Fairbanks or Anchorage, hitting Denali NP and then
can either
head down to the Seward or Homer areas.

Anyone have any suggestions for places and/or guides that won't break
the
bank for two adults and two kids....bears would be a huge plus.

Any advice is appreciated.
- Ken

Their might be a family rate or a group rate. We fished with Maverick Air
out of Kenai and flew to Wolvering creek to fish for sockeyes. Wife does
not fish, but she loved the trip. Mom and cubs 20' from the boat. Mom
nursing the cubs 30' away. Was $316 a person for us, and you fly in an
Otter for about 40 minutes to get to the fishing region.

Old February 4th, 2008, 01:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Sum Ting Wong

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 14:54:17 -0800, "CalifBill"
wrote:

Their might be a family rate or a group rate. We fished with Maverick Air
out of Kenai and flew to Wolvering creek to fish for sockeyes.

Also had a couple of fly out trips with Mavrik Aire, Nikiski, AK (near
Kenai) in the summer of 2004 and both were very positive. Craig and
Melinda run a nice operation and their guides were knowledgeable and
helpful. Craig is a very safe and excellent pilot and the equipment
appeared to be up to date and well maintained. www.mavrikaire.com

The charters were arranged through the Denise Lake Lodge B&B in
Soldotna www.deniselakelodge.com. That place is also family run
(Jim and Elaine Hanson) and friendly. Spent a week there and had two
guided float trips on the Kenai (upper and lower) in addition to the
two fly out trips and a half day halibut trip. The week long package
was VERY reasonable compared with the others we looked at.

One of the guides at Denise Lake Lodge, Scott Sager, was exceptional
and has since started his own guide service. You might also take a
look at Scott's web page: http://www.driftingonthefly.com/

Tight lines.

S.T.W.
Old February 4th, 2008, 12:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff miller[_2_]

Sum Ting Wong wrote:

Also had a couple of fly out trips with Mavrik Aire, Nikiski, AK (near
Kenai) in the summer of 2004 and both were very positive. Craig and
Melinda run a nice operation and their guides were knowledgeable and
helpful. Craig is a very safe and excellent pilot and the equipment
appeared to be up to date and well maintained. www.mavrikaire.com

.

was craig from north carolina?? the link doesn't work...

jeff
Old February 4th, 2008, 05:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

wrote:

One of the guides at Denise Lake Lodge, Scott Sager, was exceptional
and has since started his own guide service. You might also take a
look at Scott's web page: http://www.driftingonthefly.com/

I pulled up the listed URL and see that it's a cool -27 today in Soldotna!
Brrrrr...

JT

Old February 4th, 2008, 11:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Chip Thomas

wrote:
Basic query:

I'm planning a trip to Alaska this summer (July or August). Primary
reason is
not to fish, but wife and rugrats want to catch some salmon. We'll
probably be
starting in either Fairbanks or Anchorage, hitting Denali NP and then
can either
head down to the Seward or Homer areas.

Anyone have any suggestions for places and/or guides that won't break
the
bank for two adults and two kids....bears would be a huge plus.

Any advice is appreciated.
- Ken

Late July to early August. You can check the salmon run information /
run charts at:

http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/

My suggestion, if you just want to catch salmon, is to fish Montana
Creek. It crosses the Parks Highway about 95 miles north of Anchorage.
Consider fishing at the campground (at the farthest point upstream
that can be reached in the campground). There's a large rock sticking
out into the creek at that point. This being an even-numbered year, at
the end of July / beginning of August there are typically about 5,000 or
more fish, mostly pink salmon, at any point in time moving through the
fifty foot run behind that rock (pinks, chums and coho). Fish size
ranges from around 3 pounds (pink salmon) up to 20 (chum salmon) with
the odd kings coming in around 30 pounds. Its easy to have a hundred
fish day if your arms are up to it. Don't fish with anything lighter
than an 8wt.

Another option on Montana Creek is to head toward Talkeetna on the
Talkeetna Spur off of the Parks Highway. About three miles north of the
Parks Highway turnoff, turn right onto Yoder Road. Follow Yoder road
about a mile and a half until you reach the bridge over Montana Creek
(can't miss it!). Work the stretch of creek for about a half mile
upstream and a quarter mile downstream of the bridge. Great fishing for
salmon, trout and grayling. But there's no retention of fish in that
area. But there are plenty of bears, so take extra clothes and waders.

Another good stretch of water is along Willow Creek, twenty or thirty
miles south of Montana Creek. There's great access along Willow /
Fishhook Road (turn east off of the Parks Highway) for about three or
four miles. Great trout, salmon and grayling fishing in that water.
Resurrection Creek access is about a quarter mile off of the Parks
Highway on the same road (good trout and grayling, no salmon to speak of).

Jerry Harod is a good guide in the Mat-Su Valley. He has permission to
use some private access water that is very productive.

The benefit of fishing in the Mat-Su Valley (especially Montana Creek)
is that you don't have to muscle your way into the line of fishermen
combat fishing the Kenai River or the Russian River. Both will be
packed during the time you're proposing.

Chip
Old February 5th, 2008, 01:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Joe McIntosh[_3_]

"Chip Thomas" wrote in message

The benefit of fishing in the Mat-Su Valley (especially Montana Creek) is
that you don't have to muscle your way into the line of fishermen combat
fishing the Kenai River or the Russian River. Both will be packed during
the time you're proposing.

Chip

Joe the Elder remembers---My female mate approached the Kenai with combat
fishermen lining the river and asked "what do I do now with all these guys
in the way ?" I loudly advised her to just sling the lure on the end of her
line around her head a few times then toss it as far out into the river as
possible.
She was quickly allowed space on the river and hooked up with a big salmon.
When the fish was about 60 feet downstream she started yelling --"get the
net-get the net " all the guys yelled advise --keep the rod tip up-- reel in
reel in--run downstream--It was a great trip