Labor Day Pike Fishing in Canada

Old March 8th, 2005, 04:14 AM
MB

Default Labor Day Pike Fishing in Canada

Looking to go northern pike fishing somewhere in Canada over the Labor Day
weekend (9/2 - 9/5). It's a big country, and the more I try to find THE
place, the more confused and frustated I become.

Here is what I am looking for:

1.) Optimally, somewhere that I can get to via a combination of a flight out
of Newark, NJ to somewhere in Canada, length of that flight is not an issue,
followed by a 3-4 hour drive tops to my final destination. Commuter flight
to get to my final destination is a possibility. Float planes are probably
out (i.e. my wife will be joining me).

2.) Someplace known for trophy pike, although my largest to date is just
under 30", so anything around 40" is going to seem like a trophy. My musky
best is 42".

3.) Fishing with the wife means that I am looking for a place with SOME
ammenities like a lodge or resort vs. some rustic fly-in shack where my boys
and I would be very happy but she might not be. The place should have
something to do in the event that she has had enough fishing after the first
1-2 days and does not want to simply tag along in the boat. Cleanliness and
good food are musts.

4.) I would really like to couple this pike quest with a walleye fish
fry/shore lunch, that would certainly make me happy and the wife as well.

5.) Not interested in any other fishing but pike, no bait and switch, no pun
intended. Unless I inadvertently hook into a musky, I'm OK with that. I
don't want to get off of a plane thinking pike and getting a hard sell
Canadian style on how great the lake trout are biting. I'm looking for
trophy pike.

6.) Possibly others joining us (i.e. another family, friends, etc.) but for
now, it looks like it will just be the two of us. I think once we book
something, the interest levels of others might increase.

7.) I am looking for something as upscale as trophy pike fishing can be.
Beyond taking care of my wife's needs, I am looking for a top notch
experience. I look at it as a much earned vacation to a place that I am
clueless about, even more clueless about the fishing. My boat and tackle is
staying in NJ, I am looking to basically step onto someone else's boat,
fully rigged with everything needed to land trophy pike, and put into a very
good situation to catch them. From years of musky fishing trips, I know
that there are no guarantees, but I also know that some trips, guides,
locations, etc. are better than others.

OK, so does anyone have any specific suggestions? If so, please respond
back to this newsgroup asap. I need to start making some plans and soon!

Thanks, MB

Old March 8th, 2005, 04:19 AM
MB

CORRECTION - trophy pike = something over 40 inches. The fact that I
haven't broken 30" is irrelevant, I usually fish for muskies. I don't want
to confuse anyone or set unrealistic expectations, but I'm not flying into
Canada to fish for 30 inch pike.

ink.net...

Old March 12th, 2005, 06:43 AM
Bill Armstrong

If you want top of top of the line all the way and are willing to pay the
price check out Knee Lake, Manitoba. It's on my personal dream trip list.

http://kneelake.com/

Good luck, WT