Fly Lines & Reels

Old November 20th, 2008, 12:36 PM posted to alt.flyfishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
Charles Turner

Default Fly Lines & Reels

Hi Guys,

Just got a new Scierra rod and am looking to spend Ģ100-150 on a new reel,
any suggestions?
Also what is the best WF8 Flating Fly Lines.

Thanks,

Charles

Old November 20th, 2008, 01:56 PM posted to alt.flyfishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article , Charles Turner
wrote:
Hi Guys,

Just got a new Scierra rod and am looking to spend Ģ100-150 on a new reel,
any suggestions?
Also what is the best WF8 Flating Fly Lines.

NOW you've started something - I'm not going to recommend anything - but:
before you finally decide, try it on your rod and check the balance.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old November 20th, 2008, 02:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Derek Moody wrote:
Charles Turner wrote:
Hi Guys,

Just got a new Scierra rod and am looking to spend Ģ100-150 on a new reel,
any suggestions?
Also what is the best WF8 Flating Fly Lines.

NOW you've started something - I'm not going to recommend anything - but:
before you finally decide, try it on your rod and check the balance.

Cheerio,

Whew boy, I remember the "balance" flame wars. A classic. ;-)
I put an old Hardy Bougle (heavy) on my steelhead rod (10' 7wt)
the other day and just marveled at how well the reel balanced
on the rod. Oh yeah, I can cast this all day, was my thought.
Obviously, I'm of the balance matters school, I like the rod
to balance on a point right in front of the grip.

I like the Ross CLA as a good reel for the money in that size.
I don't know if you can get them on the European side of the
pond but either the #4 or #5 would work with an 8wt. As for
the line, for what species are you fishing, or more to the point
what size flies are you tossing ?

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old November 20th, 2008, 04:20 PM posted to alt.flyfishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
Don Phillipson[_3_]

"Charles Turner" wrote in message

Just got a new Scierra rod and am looking to spend Ģ100-150 on a new reel,
any suggestions? Also what is the best WF8 Flating Fly Lines.

1a: Balance (line to rod action.)
1b. Balance (of filled reel on your rod in your hand.)
2. Temperatu fly line flexibility may vary with temperature
and this is functional in fishing pleasure and efficient casting.
(The range of temperature is much smaller in Britain than
elsewhere, but is still relevant to how the line behaves.)
3a. Line taper for selected presentation (whether of fast-sinking
nymphs or tiny dry flies.)
3b. Line taper for accurate casting to the range at which you fish.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old November 20th, 2008, 04:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Peaceful Bill

Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Derek Moody wrote:
Charles Turner wrote:
[...]

Agree with Don Quixote that the CLA is a good reel at that price point.
But it has to feel balanced with a spool full of line on your
particular rod. My old 8wt. rig had an older SA System 2 8wt. on an old
Sage 896 RPII. Balanced nicely. YMMV.

Won't touch "best floating line" question since there are too many
variables.
Old November 20th, 2008, 08:34 PM posted to alt.flyfishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
[email protected]

Charles Turner wrote:
Hi Guys,

Just got a new Scierra rod and am looking to spend Ģ100-150 on a new
reel, any suggestions?
Also what is the best WF8 Flating Fly Lines.

Thanks,

Charles

I would suggest the Okuma Airframe for that line capacity;

http://www.okumafishing.com/products...g/airframe.htm

http://www.tackleshop.co.uk/tacklesh...frame_fly_reel

I have several of these reels which I use mainly in salt water, mostly
for sea-trout, and for large predator fishing. One may of course use
them for anything at all. I donīt see the point in spending a great deal
more than you need to, and I donīt know of any good alternatives in that
price range anyway.

With regard to a line, before one may give any recommendations at all,
more data is required. What do you want to use it for? ( I am tempted
to assume the "standard" sort of still water fly-fishing practised
widely in the UK, but might of course be wrong).

TL
MC
Old November 20th, 2008, 10:37 PM posted to alt.flyfishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
W. D. Grey

In article , Derek Moody
writes
In article , Charles Turner
wrote:
Hi Guys,

Just got a new Scierra rod and am looking to spend Ģ100-150 on a new reel,
any suggestions?
Also what is the best WF8 Flating Fly Lines.

NOW you've started something - I'm not going to recommend anything - but:
before you finally decide, try it on your rod and check the balance.

Cheerio,

Well I'll offer my two pennorth! Without being too "gear feak" minded, I
can only say how pleased I've been using my BFL "Rimfly" reels with
Cortland 444 WF8 floating line.

Don't knock it till you've had a look.

Ģ100 for a reel - that makes me "reel"
--
Bill Grey

Old November 20th, 2008, 11:50 PM posted to alt.flyfishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article , W. D. Grey
wrote:

Ģ100 for a reel - that makes me "reel"

:-)

For that I could get for or five of the reels I usually use -and- the lines
to fill 'em.
I hesitate to recommend lines mainly because I don't know who makes the
mill-ends I buy...

Cheerio,

Old November 21st, 2008, 02:27 AM posted to alt.flyfishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
[email protected]

Derek Moody wrote:
In article , W. D. Grey
wrote:

Ģ100 for a reel - that makes me "reel"

:-)

For that I could get for or five of the reels I usually use -and- the lines
to fill 'em.
I hesitate to recommend lines mainly because I don't know who makes the
mill-ends I buy...

Cheerio,

Heh heh, I know who makes mine ( Mill Ends that is) , and I also know a
few of the major brands quite well. I still get quite a few sent for
testing and review, among other things, and I have even been known to
buy them occasionally as well!

Practically all the people I have recently taught, or even just been
fishing with (and usually "borrowing" my gear for a while), now have the
reels mentioned, and most also have the lines I recommend, but I only
recommend such things after I know exactly what they want them for.

The problem as such is still basically the same, and that is, what do
you want to use the line for?

The reel I mentioned can be obtained in some places for less than twenty
five quid, but is in my opinion, and as compared to the
price/application/suitability of practically all others used for
fresh-water and light salt-water fishing, worth at least three times the
price of the most expensive of such reels available.

In other words, I think itīs the best, regardless of price. If I could
buy a better reel for 250 pounds, then I would do so, but I canīt, and
so I simply buy the best for 25 pounds.

Since using these reels regularly, for a number of years, I have become
even more impressed with them as time went on. They are all still as
good as new, even though their five year warranty has in the mean time
run out. Spare spools, or even a second reel as backup is not a problem,
and the reels have all the possible advantages required of such a reel,
and none of the disadvantages. Although being extremely good valie for
money is very definitely an advantage in my opinion, it is only a
secondary advantage in this case.The primary advantages, and the same
citeria I would apply to any reel of any price, are much much greater.

Indeed, at this present moment in time, I donīt think there is a better
reel for the purpose in existence, at any price.

If anybody wants me to list the advantages, I will happily do so.

For anybody who doesnīt know me, I have no financial connections or
vested interest in the various tackle shops, companies etc. I am just
another angler looking for the best I can find, regardless of price, but
happy when I donīt have to worry about the price either!

TL
MC

Old November 21st, 2008, 11:41 AM posted to alt.flyfishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article ,
wrote:

Since using these reels regularly, for a number of years, I have become
even more impressed with them as time went on. They are all still as
good as new, even though their five year warranty has in the mean time
run out. Spare spools, or even a second reel as backup is not a problem,

I'm planning major replacement of reels and lines sometime soon, probably
in the new year. For general fishing I standardised on a cheap graphite job
and bought several along with spare spools and have replaced with the same
model as required (I'm pretty hard on tackle and I don't look after it
properly.) This makes it easy to mix and match and keeps things
straightforward. It was one of the early models and although they are still
available I am well aware that there are new and better reels out there. I
need to replace a back and three spools this time* so it's a good time to
think about changing the standard. I've added your suggestion to the check
'em out list.

Cheerio,

* How well do the Okumas take to being dropped and left soaked in salt,
oily, bilgewater for three days foul weather?