Landing nets

Old November 10th, 2009, 08:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
SteveB[_2_]

Default Landing nets

I trout and bass fish on a local lake. My landing net has a twisted nylon
line net. I spend more time taking out the treble hooks than fishing. Is
there landing nets made of mono? Any other ideas other than slinging the
fish out of the water, taking a chance of losing it and the lure?

Steve

Old November 10th, 2009, 09:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com

"SteveB" wrote in message
I trout and bass fish on a local lake. My landing net has a twisted nylon
line net. I spend more time taking out the treble hooks than fishing. Is
there landing nets made of mono? Any other ideas other than slinging the
fish out of the water, taking a chance of losing it and the lure?

Steve

There are nets that the basket is made from molded rubber that are just
about impossible to get the hooks tangled into.

Then, there are other landing nets that are made with conventional nylon
netting, but then the net bag is dipped in rubber and coated.

If you go to the following link, you can find examples of the different nets
types;

http://www.frabill.com/store/index.p...ing-nets/id/5/

Both styles of net are pretty good and have the added advantage of being
more gentle on the fish and not being as abrasive on the slime coat of the
fish. The molded rubber is about hook proof, but they are a little heavier
and have more water resistance when trying to scoop a fish.

The coated rubber net bags are easier to get through the water, but
occasionally a hook will penetrate the webbing.

So there's advantages and disadvantages to both nets, but both will be
better than what you're currently using and better for the fish.
--
Steve Huber
Executive Producer/Editor in Chief

Old November 11th, 2009, 05:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

I'll pretty much agree with Steve across the board except that I use a
couple different nets. When fishing with adults I usually go with the
rubber net. A few of the old farts whine about the weight, but they can
swing it just fine. I always use the rubber net when I know I will be
throwing a lot of crank baits, poppers, and hard jerk baits. Time spent
digging treble hooks out of the net is time wasted.

When fishing with kids who might not be as strong or as skilled as some
other anglers I tend to prefer to take my over sized hoop poly cord net.
The poly cord is stiffer and smoother than the old nylon cord, and its much
lighter than the rubber nets. My kids can easily reach it into the water
and let me swim a fish in over it for them to help land. The lighter cord
allows them to manipulate a much larger net.

For other species where a larger net is a must the weight would be a real
killer for a rubber net I imagine.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Tournament Director
www.YumaProAm.com

Old November 12th, 2009, 12:12 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Jerry Barton" wrote in message
Hey ! What about one of our Mid-Tenn and NWC Classics sponsors, Ranger
Nets?

I tried to go on their site and it kept coming up with the old dreaded 404
Error, and I wanted to answer the op in a timely fashion. Tried it several
times over about three hours and got the same.

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:14 PM
anddrewjacckson anddrewjacckson is offline
Junior Member

I'll appealing abundant accede with Steve beyond the lath except that I use a couple altered nets. When fishing with adults I usually go with the rubber net. A few of the old farts beef about the weight, but they can swing it just fine.