Nothing stings like a hook in the hand.

Old June 15th, 2007, 04:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

Default Nothing stings like a hook in the hand.

"Tony" wrote in message
u...
I think we have all had that experience, and salt water or (fresh) dosent
make it any better.

The scary thing is it's always with rusted hooks...lol

I wonder how many of you guys carry band aids when you go casual fishing?

I've got a better than average first aid kit on both boats. I've also got a
toolkit that includes pliers and cutters. Yes I have removed a hook or two.
Some from myself, and some from others.

I pretty much always have pliers on me as the belt knife I carry everyday is
a Leatherman Surge.

Now you want to talk about unprepared. I used to run trap line for fur
barers, and I once had a #3 double long spring go off while I was settig it.
The trapped jumped up throwing both of my hands upward when the cross bar
hit my palms. I got both thumbs caught in the jaws from the bottom of the
trap. Sadly, I didn't both a small mouth operated cutting torch that I
could whack the jaws with so I had dig a hole in the ground with my feet to
lay my arms in and then kneal on the srpings to release the jaws. That was
way more uncomfortable then some dumb ol' fish hook.

Seriously. Things will happen. Be as prepared as you comfortably can be
and don't panic. If you use your brain you can work your way through most
things.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

Old June 16th, 2007, 12:04 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Siskuwihane

On Jun 15, 11:57 am, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
"Tony" wrote in message

[...]

Got this stuck in my head:

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7553/s4020284nj7.jpg

Went ashore and cut it off leaving the barb and part of the hook in my
head and then back out fishing.

Then about 20 minutes later with the same lu

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/158/s4020285kk2.jpg

I finally just gave up then and went to the ER, walked in with this
lure in my thumb and then had to tell them that it was only half my
problem...

Old June 16th, 2007, 08:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Fishking

Two words after pictures like that..

soft plastics

ups.com...

Old June 16th, 2007, 10:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Siskuwihane

On Jun 16, 3:41 pm, "Fishking" wrote:
Two words after pictures like that..

soft plastics

Nah, barbless hooks.

Old June 16th, 2007, 11:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ken Fortenberry

Siskuwihane wrote:
"Fishking" wrote:
Two words after pictures like that..

soft plastics

Nah, barbless hooks.

Exactly right. I always crimp down the barbs, it's easier
on the fish but more importantly it's easier on *me* ! ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old June 17th, 2007, 02:58 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John

Whatever you are doing, it's wrong. You really, really need to do it
differently.
Good luck!
John

Old June 17th, 2007, 01:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Siskuwihane

On Jun 16, 9:58 pm, "John" bass wrote:
Whatever you are doing, it's wrong. You really, really need to do it
differently.

After 32 years of fishing, one odd incident doesn't equate to "doing
it wrong". The hook in the head happened while the rod was in a
upright holder and I was getting up from getting a can of soda out of
the cooler and I was too close to the rod. The hook in the thumb
happened when a bass I caught started trashing about.

Old June 17th, 2007, 02:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ken Fortenberry

John wrote:
Whatever you are doing, it's wrong. You really, really need to do it
differently.
Good luck!

You don't necessarily have to do anything wrong to end up
wearing a 2/0 Deer Hair Bug as a pierced earring. All it
takes is a little gust of wind. Yet another reason to crimp
down the barbs (and to wear a hat with a brim instead of a
ballcap).

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old June 17th, 2007, 03:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
et...
John wrote:
Whatever you are doing, it's wrong. You really, really need to do it
differently.
Good luck!

You don't necessarily have to do anything wrong to end up
wearing a 2/0 Deer Hair Bug as a pierced earring. All it
takes is a little gust of wind. Yet another reason to crimp
down the barbs (and to wear a hat with a brim instead of a
ballcap).

Wide brimmed hat is the way to go anytime you are in the sun. I prefer one
with a strap so I can drop it off my head and not limit my visibility when
walking through the woods though. Yeah, like we got a lot of woods in Yuma.
LOL.

Old June 18th, 2007, 01:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Scott Seidman

Ken Fortenberry wrote in news:4iadi.19960
:

John wrote:
Whatever you are doing, it's wrong. You really, really need to do it
differently.
Good luck!

You don't necessarily have to do anything wrong to end up
wearing a 2/0 Deer Hair Bug as a pierced earring. All it
takes is a little gust of wind. Yet another reason to crimp
down the barbs (and to wear a hat with a brim instead of a
ballcap).

Also goes to show just how important sunglasses are, and some other eye
protection for dusk. One of the first things I tell people just getting
into the sport.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply