Fly reel question

Old June 17th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Mike

Default Fly reel question

Hi,
I have just decided to take up the obsession - er hobby - of fly
fishing and had a question. The only equipment that I currently have
is a reel that I won about 10 years ago. It's a Marquis 8/9. Can
someone help me out with what I have? Is it a good reel? What fish
species would this be good for - bass, trout.... Also, will this work
well for a beginner? Also, if this is a decent reel, what rod would
be a nice mate for it?

Thanks for the help!
Mike
Old June 17th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Mike wrote:

Hi,
I have just decided to take up the obsession - er hobby - of fly
fishing and had a question. The only equipment that I currently have
is a reel that I won about 10 years ago. It's a Marquis 8/9. Can
someone help me out with what I have? Is it a good reel? What fish
species would this be good for - bass, trout.... Also, will this work
well for a beginner? Also, if this is a decent reel, what rod would
be a nice mate for it?

Thanks for the help!
Mike

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, Hardy. ;-)

You have a classic English click & pawl fly reel. The 8/9
refers to the rod and line designation Hardy thinks should
fit. In my opinion this reel better fits a 6wt or a 7wt.

It's a VERY decent reel, but the least important part of
your fly fishing rig. You should choose a fly rod based on
the kind of fly fishing you intend to do, not to match a
reel.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old June 17th, 2004, 03:18 PM
fish.iddx.net

Hi,
I have just decided to take up the obsession - er hobby - of fly
fishing and had a question. The only equipment that I currently have
is a reel that I won about 10 years ago. It's a Marquis 8/9. Can

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, Hardy. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Isnt there also a manufacture (american if im not mistaking) making a reeel
simply called Marquis? I'm more or less sure Ken is right, but now I think
about it, I think i recently saw a Marquis reel on a website which WASNT a
Hardy reel.

Is the spool silver, and the house dark blue/grayish? If its a Hardy, it
should say so on the reel. My 15 year old Hardy Marquis 6/7 had Hardy
written all over the damn thing. ) You got a pic Mike?

/Thomas - DK

Old June 17th, 2004, 09:41 PM
bassrecord

You really need to answer Forty's question for us first. This group will
probably give you more info than you ever imagined if you post a little more
info.

Good luck!
John
om...

Old June 18th, 2004, 03:22 AM
Mike

OK
On the back of the reel it says:
Across the top: Marquis 8/9
Across the bottom (in cursive style script): Made by Hardy Bros Ltd
England

So what have I got here? Is it something I that can handle bass and
crappie, as well as trout?

Thanks again for the help!

If you guys have any favorite websites and/or books that you think
would be good for a beginner I'd really appreciate it!
Old June 18th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Mike

It also has a removable spool.
Mike
Old June 18th, 2004, 06:01 PM
bassrecord

Mike,
Your Marquis 8/9 reel was discontinued by Hardy and obtaining additional
spools for it may be difficult. Maybe other posters can help. For more info
search Ebay and Yahoo and you'll find 3-4 current and 3-4 past auctions and
descriptions for what fish this reel is designed to catch plus other
references to it I did not see spare spools sold.

Multiple spools are important to a fly fisherman because he can switch from
floating line, to floating tip line to various sinking lines just by
switching spools with pre-wound line and save the cost of buying extra
reels. This allows you to have for example a 9 weight rod with a 9 weight
reel and a 9 weight line which is a matched outfit. Then when you want to
switch from one fish to another all you have to do is to switch spools -
keeping the same rod and reel. It also allows you to easily switch from
floating line fishing to sinking line fishing. It is not time effective on
the bank of a river or lake to sit down and unwind one type of fly line and
wind on another!

Your 8/9 reel is the classic weight for bass and steelhead. It will hold
bass taper fly line and will hold enough backing to handle most fighting
steelies. This means you will not be limited on the size or weight of big
bass bugs or heavily weighted steelhead flies you need to cast. This reel
can also be used for some salmon and sal****er species but is on the light
side for others. It probably also can be downsized to hold 7 weight line
like Forty said and used for lake trout fishing and the big open trout
rivers. It's probably going to be too heavy to match with a light weight
rod to cast small wet or dry flies to trout.

Mike lots of fly fishermen tend to gravitate over time into three main
weight categories for fly fishing. The first is a light weight group for
small rods and small reels. Then the middle weight category is for most
fish and most rods and line weights. The third category is one with the
heavy rods and lines for larger fish and heavier flies. Possibly weights
fall out as follows: light 4-5, middle 6-7 and heavy 8-9. I'm starting my
grandson in the 7 weight category for a variety of reasons but mostly
because it's the easiest for him to learn to cast with a lighter rod and
reel.

My recommendation is:
1. Go to a fly fishing shop and buy a medium priced 7 weight reel, 9 foot 7
weight travel rod and a 7 weight floating line. Go fly fishing for trout,
bass and panfish.
2. Expand your fun by adding spools for sinking tip and sinking lines and
go fly fishing and enjoy and learn.
3. If you can find additional spools for your Marquis and if you choose to
use it instead of keeping it for the memories, go to a fly shop and buy a
high end 9 1/2 foot 9 weight travel rod and go after steelhead and big bass.

Good luck!
John

PS: In 58 years I've NEVER caught a crappie on a fly rod. Perhaps others
can help.

om...

Old June 18th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Danl

"bassrecord" wrote in message
Mike,

[lots of helpful advice snipped]

Good luck!
John

PS: In 58 years I've NEVER caught a crappie on a fly rod. Perhaps others
can help.

Ah Hell, Mike. Its obvious to everyone that this reel is only gonna continue
to confuse and confound you and everyone in your immediate vacinity. Let me
put ROFF's best foot forward and offer to help you with this
ever-more-tenuous circumstance. Just take the cursed reel, package it
carefully, and send it to Uncle Danl's Museum of Hardy, PO Box 69, Valley
Center, CA, 92082. As soon as the curator, a gentleman and scholar if ever
there was one, has completed a season or two of authentification of said
reel upon the appropriate waters, a tasteful plaque denoting yourownself as
the contibutor will be prominently attached to the display within the halls
of the museum. Oh, and please enclose some token monetary gift, if you don't
mind, to help in funding the authentification process.

Best regards,
Uncle Danl
Curator

Old June 19th, 2004, 12:22 AM
daytripper

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 10:01:27 -0700, "bassrecord"
wrote:
[snipped]
PS: In 58 years I've NEVER caught a crappie on a fly rod. Perhaps others
can help.

Well, I've caught 'em on a flyrod by accident...using small, really sparsely
tied streamers fished a few feet below the surface...

/daytripper (you do have to be where there actually are crappies, though ;-)