River buoy

Old August 14th, 2006, 02:40 PM posted to alt.fishing
[email protected]

Default River buoy

We live on the Gasconade River in Missouri. In front of our property,
the river is usually about 2'-3' deep. At times, it gets as low as 8"
or so. We'd like to find some cheap buoys to mark a "safe channel"
that boaters should take to avoid rocks and grass and such that become
a problem when the water is shallow. We thought about just using milk
jugs, but don't want to make the river look trashy. We'd like to find
a cheap floating buoy that we can mark a channel in the river with.
Any suggestions, or sites to check out?

Question 2: Do you think this would be appreciated, or would others
view it as "trashing up the river" and rip the buoys out/steal them?

Old August 14th, 2006, 10:28 PM posted to alt.fishing
David H. Lipman

| We live on the Gasconade River in Missouri. In front of our property,
| the river is usually about 2'-3' deep. At times, it gets as low as 8"
| or so. We'd like to find some cheap buoys to mark a "safe channel"
| that boaters should take to avoid rocks and grass and such that become
| a problem when the water is shallow. We thought about just using milk
| jugs, but don't want to make the river look trashy. We'd like to find
| a cheap floating buoy that we can mark a channel in the river with.
| Any suggestions, or sites to check out?
|
| Question 2: Do you think this would be appreciated, or would others
| view it as "trashing up the river" and rip the buoys out/steal them?

I strongly urge you to contact the US Coast Guard.

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Old August 15th, 2006, 12:14 AM posted to alt.fishing
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

David H. Lipman wrote:
: From:

: | We live on the Gasconade River in Missouri. In front of our property,
: | the river is usually about 2'-3' deep. At times, it gets as low as 8"
: | or so. We'd like to find some cheap buoys to mark a "safe channel"
: | that boaters should take to avoid rocks and grass and such that become
: | a problem when the water is shallow. We thought about just using milk
: | jugs, but don't want to make the river look trashy. We'd like to find
: | a cheap floating buoy that we can mark a channel in the river with.
: | Any suggestions, or sites to check out?
: |
: | Question 2: Do you think this would be appreciated, or would others
: | view it as "trashing up the river" and rip the buoys out/steal them?

: I strongly urge you to contact the US Coast Guard.

I second that... or perhaps NOAA if the river is charted by them.

Perhaps getting them to put in a gauge would be ideal...
(http://www.chicagopaddling.org/lowellgauge.jpg)

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page
Old August 15th, 2006, 05:52 PM posted to alt.fishing
Tom G

wrote in message
ups.com...
We live on the Gasconade River in Missouri. In front of our property,
the river is usually about 2'-3' deep. At times, it gets as low as 8"
or so. We'd like to find some cheap buoys to mark a "safe channel"
that boaters should take to avoid rocks and grass and such that become
a problem when the water is shallow. We thought about just using milk
jugs, but don't want to make the river look trashy. We'd like to find
a cheap floating buoy that we can mark a channel in the river with.
Any suggestions, or sites to check out?

Question 2: Do you think this would be appreciated, or would others
view it as "trashing up the river" and rip the buoys out/steal them?

I would imagine the proper buoys as designated by the Coast Guard would
work, but I don't think I personally would want to install them. Imagine,
you've put them out and someone still runs aground and there's personal
injury or large property damage. Since you took it upon yourself to install
them, I would imagine their lawyer would try to prove in court that you
erred in their location and thus you are personally liable for damages. And
would probably win or at the least would bankrupt you with attorney fees. I
have the same situation in front of my place. I watch all Summer as boats
run into a large sandbar across the river from my place, sometimes at 40mph
or better. I contacted the county Sheriff's office several times as they
have jurisdiction over river traffic. They've ignored my emails but I would
imagine that should someone, someday, get injured there, they'll wish I
didn't have a record of the warnings to them.

Tom G

Old August 16th, 2006, 03:20 AM posted to alt.fishing
Allen

May I ask why you feel the need to mark the river for anyone. You don't own
it,
and you're not responsible to keep a channel deep enough for boats to
safely navigate past your house. If some one goes aground so be it.
Do large ships use the river. The depth of 2 ft to 8 inches may make a bit
of difference to some,
but down here in Florida, My flats boat goes in 8 inches. and so do jet
drives, canoes, kayaks
...it's not your problem, the river has been that way long before you ever
showed up,
and no you can't place markers in the river. Not legally anyhow...
Since you have moved to that location how many people rubbed the bottom
beside you or a friend
of yours? Also think about this... if the markers move and someone hits
something because
of your markers, nowYOU, have a problem... need more info.. stop in at
http://click1now.com for sal****er info.

"Tom G" wrote in message

ups.com...

Old August 16th, 2006, 07:13 AM posted to alt.fishing
Tom G

.. .

"Tom G" wrote in message
> [...]

I would imagine you are referring to the OP rather than to my post as I feel
no need to mark the channel. I've lived off and on in this cottage since
1953 and never in the past cared if anyone ran into a sand bar as I've
certainly hit my share. But as an example of my concerns...earlier this
evening I was sitting on my dock fishing and a deck boat with six passengers
came up the river. They were heading straight for the sandbar (about 4"
under now) and I tried to wave them off. But to no avail. When they hit
it, instead of killing the motor, the operator hit full throttle and cranked
the steering hard left toward shore(and thus right up on the bar) as if to
turn around before getting further onto the bar. I thought for a moment the
boat was going to flip over or at least throw someone out of it. It seems
people have a lot of money to buy big boats without any experience or
knowledge on how to operate them. So this is my concern...I've never seen
such stupidity as in the last fours years since moving back into the old
place.

Tom G.

Old August 16th, 2006, 01:19 PM posted to alt.fishing
[email protected]

Thanks for all of the replies. I understand the concerns about
liability. The issue is that there are several large rocks in the
river that no one can see. Many people go zoming along try to avoid
them, but few succeed. Yes, you try to learn where they are, but
they're so scattered in the area around us that it's like a minefield.
No matter how fast you're going it brings the boat to a grinding halt
and nails the prop - bad news.

I was merely trying to save a few engines, the bottoms of some boats,
and the occasional whiplash. Like I said, it's not "my river" to mark,
but I was just trying to be helpful. At the same time, I understand
the liability of marking a "channel" and being wrong and having someone
try to sue me, even though they could still very well pick their own
route and run right over the buoy.

Old August 18th, 2006, 04:39 PM posted to alt.fishing
Terry Bullard

wrote:
Thanks for all of the replies. I understand the concerns about
liability. The issue is that there are several large rocks in the
river that no one can see. Many people go zoming along try to avoid
them, but few succeed. Yes, you try to learn where they are, but
they're so scattered in the area around us that it's like a minefield.
No matter how fast you're going it brings the boat to a grinding halt
and nails the prop - bad news.

I was merely trying to save a few engines, the bottoms of some boats,
and the occasional whiplash. Like I said, it's not "my river" to mark,
but I was just trying to be helpful. At the same time, I understand
the liability of marking a "channel" and being wrong and having someone
try to sue me, even though they could still very well pick their own
route and run right over the buoy.

Actually I believe you have a fine idea but, if it was me I would
definitely contact the agency in charge and bring it to their
attention, then lobby to get it done correctly having them foot the
bill of course, grin. I think you might be surprised how easy they are
to work with, or not, LOL. Quite often I get consulted by both state
and federal agencies in what I do and I find it really easy to deal
with them.

Terry
--
Crayfishing Made Easy
World's Leader in Crayfish Traps

Old August 18th, 2006, 09:01 PM posted to alt.fishing
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

:
: I was merely trying to save a few engines, the bottoms of some boats,
: and the occasional whiplash. Like I said, it's not "my river" to mark,
: but I was just trying to be helpful. At the same time, I understand
: the liability of marking a "channel" and being wrong and having someone
: try to sue me, even though they could still very well pick their own
: route and run right over the buoy.

: Actually I believe you have a fine idea but, if it was me I would
: definitely contact the agency in charge and bring it to their
: attention, then lobby to get it done correctly having them foot the
: bill of course, grin. I think you might be surprised how easy they are
: to work with, or not, LOL. Quite often I get consulted by both state
: and federal agencies in what I do and I find it really easy to deal
: with them.

In Chicago, we have a occasional problem with sewercovers being stolen.

Once someone swiped the cover by my parents house, my dad called the
city and they said it would be 2 weeks before they'd get a replacement
there and asked him to cover it with something... luckily my dad had
gotten the name of the person at the start of the call and my dad told
them that in 30 minutes school would be getting out and he would give
that persons name to any parent who's child was hurt there... my dad
went outside to stand by the sewer and warn kids but within a few minutes
a police car came and parked over the sewer until a new cover was brought
a few hours later (they lived right across from a school and the crossing
was right there)

Make sure you get the name of whom you talk to and tell them it's a
ongoing problem and that for anyone you see running aground or fouling
their prop, you will be sure to give them the name and number of who
you talked too... if they are slow, you might even want to put up a
large sign facing the water encouraging others to call the same person...