Loss of a Lake

Old August 5th, 2007, 04:24 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

Default Loss of a Lake

Went out to the Base Lake here at Offutt this evening. Wanted to mess
with the crappie and 'gills. Haven't been there since before I
retired from the Air Force in 2000. First thing that greets me is a
sign that says I have to buy a base lake fishing permit to fish there
now. Oh well, guess I'll have to wait to fish it.
Then I look at the next sign. "No private watercraft allowed" "No
wading or swimming" Hmm, this 130 acre lake used to be covered with
private boats.
Then I look at the water. That's different. Its crystal clear. This
is a lake that had monster carp in it a few years back. They can muck
up a lake something fierce. Did they rehab it?
Talked to a fisherman on the bank. He gave me the answer. Zebra
mussels. Lake is invested and its only a couple of hundred yards from
the Missouri River. This is the only water in Nebraska with the
infestation.
Right now, they're trying to figure out what to do. They may have to
drain it and let the bottom freeze. Potash is another solution. What
it will do is kill a lake that has state record size smallies and
walleye. The lake is dead, it just doesn't know it yet.
Frank Reid

Old August 5th, 2007, 06:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Kiyu

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 20:24:03 -0700, Frank Reid
wrote:

Talked to a fisherman on the bank. He gave me the answer. Zebra
mussels. Lake is invested and its only a couple of hundred yards from
the Missouri River. This is the only water in Nebraska with the
infestation.
Right now, they're trying to figure out what to do. They may have to
drain it and let the bottom freeze. Potash is another solution. What
it will do is kill a lake that has state record size smallies and
walleye. The lake is dead, it just doesn't know it yet.
Frank Reid

Potash works.
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/newsroom/news.asp?id=94

Old August 5th, 2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
asadi

wrote:

Talked to a fisherman on the bank. He gave me the answer. Zebra
mussels. Lake is invested and its only a couple of hundred yards from
the Missouri River. This is the only water in Nebraska with the
infestation.
Right now, they're trying to figure out what to do. They may have to
drain it and let the bottom freeze. Potash is another solution. What
it will do is kill a lake that has state record size smallies and
walleye. The lake is dead, it just doesn't know it yet.
Frank Reid

Potash works.
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/newsroom/news.asp?id=94

I've got a lot of pot ash....

john

Old August 5th, 2007, 11:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

wrote:

Talked to a fisherman on the bank. He gave me the answer. Zebra
mussels. Lake is invested and its only a couple of hundred yards from
the Missouri River. This is the only water in Nebraska with the
infestation.
Right now, they're trying to figure out what to do. They may have to
drain it and let the bottom freeze. Potash is another solution. What
it will do is kill a lake that has state record size smallies and
walleye. The lake is dead, it just doesn't know it yet.
Frank Reid

Potash works.
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/newsroom/news.asp?id=94

I've got a lot of pot ash....

john- Hide quoted text -

John, you've got enough pot ash to clean up the Great Lakes.
Frank Reid

Old August 5th, 2007, 11:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

wrote:

Talked to a fisherman on the bank. He gave me the answer. Zebra
mussels. Lake is invested and its only a couple of hundred yards from
the Missouri River. This is the only water in Nebraska with the
infestation.
Right now, they're trying to figure out what to do. They may have to
drain it and let the bottom freeze. Potash is another solution. What
it will do is kill a lake that has state record size smallies and
walleye. The lake is dead, it just doesn't know it yet.
Frank Reid

Potash works.http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/newsroom/news.asp?id=94

Well, that was a 12 acre lake (granted, it was also 93 foot deep).
This is 113 acres. Thats a bunch of potash.
Frank Reid

Old August 6th, 2007, 12:51 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

"Frank Reid" wrote in message
oups.com...

This is 113 acres. Thats a bunch of potash.
Frank Reid

Hey, John offered..........I would help you out as well, but
I am saving my pot-ash to build a to-scale diorama of the
Fawn Lake watershed to send to Forty. The stuff is tough
to work with, though.......
Tom

Old August 6th, 2007, 01:45 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
daytripper

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 23:51:15 GMT, "Tom Littleton" wrote:

"Frank Reid" wrote in message
roups.com...

This is 113 acres. Thats a bunch of potash.
Frank Reid

Hey, John offered..........I would help you out as well, but
I am saving my pot-ash to build a to-scale diorama of the
Fawn Lake watershed to send to Forty. The stuff is tough
to work with, though.......
Tom

If y'all send me the raw material, I can produce the potash - and take that
onerous burden off y'all....

/daytripper (heck - it's the least I can offer ;-)
Old August 6th, 2007, 03:33 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

On Aug 5, 7:45 pm, daytripper wrote:
On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 23:51:15 GMT, "Tom Littleton" wrote:

"Frank Reid" wrote in message
roups.com...

This is 113 acres. Thats a bunch of potash.
Frank Reid

Hey, John offered..........I would help you out as well, but
I am saving my pot-ash to build a to-scale diorama of the
Fawn Lake watershed to send to Forty. The stuff is tough
to work with, though.......
Tom

If y'all send me the raw material, I can produce the potash - and take that
onerous burden off y'all....

/daytripper (heck - it's the least I can offer ;-)

Yah know, I don't think that would go over very well on a federal
facility.
Frank Reid

Old August 6th, 2007, 11:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

"Frank Reid" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yah know, I don't think that would go over very well on a federal
facility.
Frank Reid

yet another irony, when the folks running the show are
clearly high on something......
Tom

Old August 7th, 2007, 12:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

Yah know, I don't think that would go over very well on a federal
facility.
Frank Reid

yet another irony, when the folks running the show are
clearly high on something......

Actually, the military is getting very good at protecting natural
resources. Though, this hasn't always been so, it is now. This lake
used to get all the runoff from the flightline. Now they have a VERY
good systems of dikes, culverts and treatment plants to ensure that
the chemicals from the flightline do not flow into the watershed.
The base has come down very hard on those using the lake to ensure
that the infestation does not spread. They've also put in a new
overflow catchment to keep the infestation out of the Missouri. This
they know is only temporary till they can get the estimated three
million dollars that it will take to clean it up.
Frank Reid