rw and Fred

Old February 10th, 2011, 11:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

Default rw and Fred

I thought of you two last night as I watched a NOVA program on 'how
smart are animals' .... they showcased a Border Collie that had a
huge vocabulary .... and I know you both enjoy your dogs, so you came
to mind
Old February 11th, 2011, 01:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Feb 10, 5:17*pm, Larry L wrote:
I thought of you two last night as I watched a NOVA program on 'how
smart are animals' * .... they showcased a Border Collie that had a
huge vocabulary .... and I know you both enjoy your dogs, so you came
to mind

Canines with an impressive word count are not all that impressive
here. We have seen lesser creatures with an uncanny ability to make
seemingly coherent responses to all sorts of stimuli.

The important questions;.....how about their pronunciation and
spelling?

g.
who once knew a dalmation.....every time he said "antibellum" the dog
would chime in with "oh?, you were opposed to the conflict?"

crack me up EVERY ****in' time!
Old February 11th, 2011, 06:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
flebow[_2_]

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 15:17:35 -0800 (PST), Larry L
wrote:

I thought of you two last night as I watched a NOVA program on 'how
smart are animals' .... they showcased a Border Collie that had a
huge vocabulary .... and I know you both enjoy your dogs, so you came
to mind

I saw a show - maybe the same one - where the border collie was able
to distinguish and act on 100 different words and objects

I always wondered what would happen if you had 32 border collies.
They woould herd ea other into an ever tightening circle

They are great, cute, beautiful spunky, athletic, faithful and smart
dogs.
Tweed loses it and becomes a full fledged monster whern he sees a
wheel(s) underneath someone he knows or a hose nozzle gushing water

I would defintiely reccommend a border collie to someone if they have
a lot of space and other animals to herd.

Tweed Lebow

Old February 11th, 2011, 06:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

wrote:
I thought of you two last night as I watched a NOVA program on 'how
smart are animals' * .... they showcased a Border Collie that had a
huge vocabulary .... and I know you both enjoy your dogs, so you came
to mind

I saw a show - maybe the same one - where the border collie was able
to distinguish and act on 100 different words and objects

You're behind the times, Fred. From:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...ocabulary.html

"A border collie called Chaser has been taught the names of 1022 items
- more than any other animal. She can also categorise them according
to function and shape, something children learn to do around the age
of 3."

Strange that they exclude humans from the category "animal." :-)

My young BC, Deets, doesn't seem to have this "naming" ability to any
great degree, but he's still pretty smart and extremely athletic. And
BTW, his dad, Riggs, and his breeder, Patrick Shannahan, won the 2010
National Championship (sheep herding).

http://www.patrickshannahan.com/pdfs...onationals.pdf

Old February 11th, 2011, 07:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

wrote:
I thought of you two last night as I watched a NOVA program on 'how
smart are animals' * .... they showcased a Border Collie that had a
huge vocabulary .... and I know you both enjoy your dogs, so you came
to mind

I saw a show - maybe the same one - where the border collie was able
to distinguish and act on 100 different words and objects

You're behind the times, Fred. From:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...lie-takes-reco
rd-for-biggest-vocabulary.html

"A border collie called Chaser has been taught the names of 1022 items
- more than any other animal. She can also categorise them according
to function and shape, something children learn to do around the age
of 3."

Strange that they exclude humans from the category "animal." :-)

My young BC, Deets, doesn't seem to have this "naming" ability to any
great degree, but he's still pretty smart and extremely athletic. And
BTW, his dad, Riggs, and his breeder, Patrick Shannahan, won the 2010
National Championship (sheep herding).

http://www.patrickshannahan.com/pdfs...onationals.pdf

Great article about Riggs. Thanks.

Old February 11th, 2011, 09:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
flebow[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

I just saw it on TV about 100 diff items only a week ago

You are right - I am way behind the times

Thanks man! Great articles
and TYThanks L:aryy for tthe posr
..
If you ever head this way bring your dogs -I would love to meet them
We have 6 and plenty of room for them - they run loose.

Border collies are amongst the cutest and most faithful dogs I have
ever seen
and I have always had at least one dog

I would bnever live w/o one
They aid my soul

Fred

Fred

Fred
Old February 11th, 2011, 11:45 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...er-collie-take...

"A border collie called Chaser has been taught the names of 1022 items
- more than any other animal. She can also categorise them according
to function and shape, something children learn to do around the age
of 3."

der Kluge Hans

Strange that they exclude humans from the category "animal." :-)

Try "vegetable" or "mineral."

My young BC, Deets, doesn't seem to have this "naming" ability to any
great degree, but he's still pretty smart and extremely athletic. And
BTW, his dad, Riggs, and his breeder, Patrick Shannahan, won the 2010
National Championship (sheep herding).

well.

gosh.

g.
who is reasonably certain he could teach the dog to recognize a moron
in 40 words or less.
Old February 11th, 2011, 11:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

.
If you ever head this way bring your dogs *-I would love to meet them
We have 6 and plenty of room for them - they run loose.

Border collies are amongst the cutest and most faithful dogs I have
ever seen
and I have always had at least one dog

I would bnever live w/o one
They aid my soul

Fred

Fred

Fred

You should find one with a teaching certificate.

g.
who figures that any help at all is better than none at all.