Musky, tiger musky... nothern pike?

Old March 1st, 2004, 02:39 PM
Vincent.

Default Musky, tiger musky... nothern pike?

Hi,

As some of you already know, I'm french... and over there we only have
northern pikes. So is there big differents between northern pikes and their
cousins muskys, colour taken apart? Do they grow the same, are they the same
rod in hand in term of combativeness ?

Vincent.

Old March 1st, 2004, 03:49 PM
John Lindsey

Vince,
Look em up on Google. Lots I do not know those fish.

But my sister was sitting in the middle of a 42 inch wide jon boat and in
the clear water saw a tiger musky swim under her seat. Looking down she saw
head on one side and tail on the other. and they are a MEAN fish!

Good luck!
John

Old March 1st, 2004, 05:33 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Vincent." wrote in message
Hi,

As some of you already know, I'm french... and over there we only have
northern pikes. So is there big differents between northern pikes and

their
cousins muskys, colour taken apart? Do they grow the same, are they the

same
rod in hand in term of combativeness ?

Muskies, northern pike and pickerel are in the same family, Esox. The
pickerel (of which there are several sub-species) is the smallest of the
esox family. The northern pike is smack dab in the middle and the
muskellunge is the largest of them all. This is reflected in the fact that
the IGFA world record muskie is 69 pounds, 11 ounces, from my home state of
Wisconsin.

There are some physical differences that make identification possible. A
northern pike has the white kidney bean shaped spots on a green body, where
a muskie typically has vertical stripes. The fins on a muskie are pointed,
where on a pike the fins have rounded edges. There are other differences as
well, but the stripes vs. spots and the fin shape is the easiest identifier.
A tiger muskie is a cross between a muskie and a pike that can occur
naturally where the two species co-exist but more often, they are the result
of hatchery rearing programs. Tiger muskies will eat commercial food
pellets and are cheaper to raise to stocking size, however in lakes where
they are stocked, it is a put and take fishery as most tigers are sterile
and cannot breed.

In terms of fishing, much of what works for pike will work for muskie and
visa versa. Fight wise, they're very similar as well. The major difference
is that while morthern pike can breed prolifically, to the point of stunting
in a lake, it rarely happens with muskies. A good muskie lake will have 0.5
to 0.7 muskies per acre, so on a typical 1,000 acre lake, you're fishing for
500 fish in the entire lake!

I've found that catching them isn't particularly difficult, however locating
an active fish can be a real problem...
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old March 1st, 2004, 08:27 PM
Sofjan

I've found that catching them isn't particularly difficult, however locating
an active fish can be a real problem...
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

VBG :^)

Sofjan Mustopoh
Old March 2nd, 2004, 08:37 AM
Vincent.

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
http://www.herefishyfishy.com

Thanks for this complete answer... ;-)
69 pounds! ...that makes me dream... the biggest pike I cought vas a 3.9
feets, 21 pounds...

Vincent.

Old March 4th, 2004, 12:53 PM
alwayfishking

You could use that for bait for at least one of the muskie I saw on Boom
lake two years ago. was over 50 inches

Old March 12th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Vincent.

10-21-2000 Rocky Gorge Reservoir- Laurel, Md.
Tiger Muskie - 17lbs. 12oz. 42" length 17.5" girth

This was the most fun ever with a rod and reel. Ten pound big game and no
leader.--------Rich Davis

Hi,

How did you send this picture... I tryed but I had en error message that
r.o.f.b is not a binary group... :-s

Vincent.

Old March 12th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Vincent." wrote in message
10-21-2000 Rocky Gorge Reservoir- Laurel, Md.
Tiger Muskie - 17lbs. 12oz. 42" length 17.5" girth

This was the most fun ever with a rod and reel. Ten pound big game and

no
leader.--------Rich Davis

Hi,

How did you send this picture... I tryed but I had en error message that
r.o.f.b is not a binary group... :-s

Become a member of OutdoorFrontiers.com (it's free) and you can submit
pictures there. Just keep the file size to 100KB or less and life is good.
Then you can just post a link here.