Talk about rocky starts.....

Old February 6th, 2011, 11:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

Default Talk about rocky starts.....

Both the national anthem and America the Beautiful absolutely
butchered to kick off the festivities.

Not that either song ranks among our favorites......but execrable is
**** nevertheless.

giles.
and now for something completely......
Old February 7th, 2011, 11:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Feb 6, 5:24*pm, Giles wrote:
Both the national anthem and America the Beautiful absolutely
butchered to kick off the festivities.

Not that either song ranks among our favorites......but execrable is
**** nevertheless.

giles.
and now for something completely......

And now for something completely rational.

Yeah, I know, it hurts......but look on the bright side.....it means
you're still among the living!

Schizophrenia.....in the vernacular sense, not the clinical disease.

I'm not a football fan.....far from it....nor even a Packer's fan
(easy enough to be the latter without being the former.....you'll just
have to trust me) but I confess that I listened to the game on the
radio last night, and even the two previous playoff games. And, yes,
I was pleased (on a purely personal level.....this matters) that they
won. Remember, I was raised in Curdistan during the Bart Starr
era.....'nough said.

On the other hand, whenever the Packers play I secretly.....well,
o.k., it really ain't that much of a secret.....hope they lose.

Why?

Good question.

The Green Bay Packers are, famously, the "smallest franchise" in major
league sports in America. So goes the conventional wisdom. I dunno.
I mean, do we count hockey, nascar, and junior highschool girls
lacrosse? Presumably not......or somebody would have raised an
objection long before now.....right? But that's all just a
digression.

The point is that when the Packers lose (as opposed to say, the Cubs
or the Yankees or whateverthe**** teams reside in Los Angeles these
days) the smallest battered women's shelters in the nation fill
up......as opposed to.....perhaps.....the largest. Which is to say
(as I confess I have done before.....but it's worth repeating, I
think.....anyone with an opposing viewpoint is most certainly welcome
to express it here) that there are just a LOT fewer women to beat up
in Green Bay than there are in San Francisco, New Orleans, Denver,
Dallas,......etc., ad nauseum (emphasis on the nauseum). It is a well
known and meticulously documented fact that when the home town loses
(home town being here defined as whatever town is associated with
whatever team.....regardless of where a game might be played) the
battered womens' shelters do SRO business.

So, it's not that I bear the women in Green Bay any particular animus
(whatever their intellectual and aromatic assets.....or
deficiencies.....as compared to their counterparts, mammalian or
piscine.....anywhere else in the world), but I can find no way of
escaping a moral dilemma except by sheer numbers, however inadequte a
dodge that may be.

Bottom line is that if Green Bay loses it's two or three hundred (or
thousand?) new (or repeat) customers. If New York loses.....it's
ten?.....twenty?.....thirty?.....forty?.....times as many.

Sorry, ladies.

giles
go fish.
Old February 7th, 2011, 11:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Feb 7, 5:27*pm, Giles wrote:
On Feb 6, 5:24*pm, Giles wrote:

[...]

p.s. The great thing about nascar racing is that it is the most
democratic of major league sports; it is not a "team" sport.....in the
traditonal sense. On any given race day EVERYBOY's bitch......save
one.....gets beat up.

giles
who can ALWAYS find a silver lining!
Old February 7th, 2011, 11:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Feb 7, 5:34*pm, Giles wrote:
On Feb 7, 5:27*pm, Giles wrote:

On Feb 6, 5:24*pm, Giles wrote:

[...]

Oops! Did I say "EVERYBOY's"? I meant, of course, EVERYBODY's.

Um.......hm.......

On second thought, let it stand.

giles
man enough to own up to what he said.
Old February 8th, 2011, 01:12 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

On 2/7/2011 6:53 PM, Giles wrote:

giles
man enough to own up to what he said.

but, apparently not enough to realize that grotesque generalizations
about sports fans make him look the fool.

Tom

Old February 8th, 2011, 01:20 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Feb 7, 7:12*pm, Tom Littleton wrote:
On 2/7/2011 6:53 PM, Giles wrote:

giles
man enough to own up to what he said.

but, apparently not enough to realize that grotesque generalizations
about sports fans make him look the fool.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Tom

Hard to say. It would be a lot easier if he had made any kind of
generalization at all about sports fans. As it is, all we have to
work with is the allegation that battered women's shelters fill up
when the home team loses. Or, so it would appear from this sector.

You saw something else?

giles
for whom, admittedly, unaccountable defensiveness always raises red
flags.
Old February 8th, 2011, 01:55 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

On 2/7/2011 8:20 PM, Giles wrote:

Hard to say. It would be a lot easier if he had made any kind of
generalization at all about sports fans. As it is, all we have to
work with is the allegation that battered women's shelters fill up
when the home team loses. Or, so it would appear from this sector.

Puhleze, Wolfie......you would imply that it was NON-fans that cause
your observed rise in the population of shelters? Or, that NASCAR leads
to 'everyboy's(sic) bitch' getting beat up? Uh-huh. Whatever...Still,
battered women's shelters fill up at all sorts of times, for all sorts
of reasons. Isolating the problems to sports events or those that root
for teams(or cars and drivers) is simplistic(and, I'm being charitable
there with my choice of words). Did it ever occur that such things occur
at other milestones, as well? Say, Christmas, Tax Time(a biggie, by the
way), St.Patrick's Day,the day the public assistance checks come out,
etc, to name a few. No defensiveness on my part, Wolfie, just appalled
at how a supposedly educated soul can take a legitimate problem(domestic
abuse) and trivialize it into a discourse on football outcomes. Life,
and the workings of the mind, are far too complex for that. Somewhere,
you should be able to read something on that Kindle that would spell
that out for you far more eloquently than I can....
Tom

Old February 8th, 2011, 02:36 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On Feb 7, 7:55*pm, Tom Littleton wrote:
On 2/7/2011 8:20 PM, Giles wrote:

[...]

As someone that worked in a shelter and a crisis hotline, I can tell
you that anniversaries, Christmas, and other happy times are quite
often the trigger. One that was pretty standard was payday.
Frank Reid
Old February 8th, 2011, 02:50 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On 2/7/2011 8:20 PM, Giles wrote:

Hard to say. *It would be a lot easier if he had made any kind of
generalization at all about sports fans. *As it is, all we have to
work with is the allegation that battered women's shelters fill up
when the home team loses. *Or, so it would appear from this sector.

Puhleze, Wolfie......you would imply that it was NON-fans that cause
your observed rise in the population of shelters?

Hm.....

No, I don't think I would imply that.....for a couple of reasons.
First, I've never observed a rise of any sort, at any time, in any
sort of shelter. I merely passed on what I've read and heard about at
second hand. "Second hand" being somewhat deceptive in that it
appears to suggest a single instance. In fact, of the dozen or so
women I've spoken with about incidents of abuse after home team
losses, not one has ever labelled her abuser as a "sports fan."
However, it should be apparent that the lack of use of a particular
label does not necessarily imply its opposite. Therefor it has never
even occurred to me that "NON-fans" were the cause of spikes in
shelter enrolments. Second, what the **** are you blithering about?

Or, that NASCAR leads to 'everyboy's(sic) bitch' getting beat up?

Simply pointing out that nascar appears to be a more egalitarian venue
than other major league sporting events.

Uh-huh. Whatever...Still,
battered women's shelters fill up at all sorts of times, for all sorts
of reasons.

Interesting observation. Probably would never have occurred to me.

Isolating the problems to sports events or those that root
for teams(or cars and drivers) is simplistic(and, I'm being charitable
there with my choice of words).

Ah, so, when I stated categorically that it never happened at any
other time......um.....I guess maybe I was overstating things a bit,
huh?

Did it ever occur that such things occur
at other milestones, as well? Say, Christmas, Tax Time(a biggie, by the
way), St.Patrick's Day,the day the public assistance checks come out,
etc, to name a few.

No, I never thought of that. I guess the signs outside that say "Open
game days.....ONLY!" led me astray.

No defensiveness on my part,

No, of course not.

Wolfie, just appalled
at how a supposedly educated soul can take a legitimate problem(domestic
abuse) and trivialize it into a discourse on football outcomes.

I can name twelve women.....but I wouldn't use their real names (so,
****ing sue me).....and four offenders who might wish to discuss the
triviality of the matter with one so eminent in matters sociological.

Life, and the workings of the mind, are far too complex for that.

Well, some minds. Or, used to be, anyway.

Somewhere,
you should be able to read something on that Kindle that would spell
that out for you far more eloquently than I can....

You can bank on that.

Frankly, I'd be delighted to have you do the research and prove that
my contention is wrong.....or find someone with the "scientific
training" to do it for you. It really would be a comfort.

Meanwhile, do you remember when you weren't a ****ing idiot?

I do.....or thought so, anyway.

Ever wonder what happened?

giles
Old February 8th, 2011, 06:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Feb 7, 6:55*pm, Tom Littleton wrote:
On 2/7/2011 8:20 PM, Giles wrote:

[...]

It's a 50/50 blend of self-righteous indignation and delusion of
grandeur.