Talk about rocky starts.....

Old February 8th, 2011, 01:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

Default Talk about rocky starts.....

On 2011-02-07 21:36:34 -0500, Frank Reid � 2010 said:

On Feb 7, 7:55Â*pm, Tom Littleton wrote:
On 2/7/2011 8:20 PM, Giles wrote:

Hard to say. Â*It would be a lot easier if he had made any kind of
generalization at all about sports fans. Â*As it is, all we have to
work with is the allegation that battered women's shelters fill up
when the home team loses. Â*Or, so it would appear from this sector.

Puhleze, Wolfie......you would imply that it was NON-fans that cause
your observed rise in the population of shelters? Or, that NASCAR leads
to 'everyboy's(sic) bitch' getting beat up? Uh-huh. Whatever...Still,
battered women's shelters fill up at all sorts of times, for all sorts
of reasons. Isolating the problems to sports events or those that root
for teams(or cars and drivers) is simplistic(and, I'm being charitable
there with my choice of words). Did it ever occur that such things occur
at other milestones, as well? Say, Christmas, Tax Time(a biggie, by the
way), St.Patrick's Day,the day the public assistance checks come out,
etc, to name a few. No defensiveness on my part, Wolfie, just appalled
at how a supposedly educated soul can take a legitimate problem(domestic
abuse) and trivialize it into a discourse on football outcomes. Life,
and the workings of the mind, are far too complex for that. Somewhere,
you should be able to read something on that Kindle that would spell
that out for you far more eloquently than I can....
Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*

Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Tom

As someone that worked in a shelter and a crisis hotline, I can tell
you that anniversaries, Christmas, and other happy times are quite
often the trigger. One that was pretty standard was payday.
Frank Reid

And, as someone that lived in a duplex as a kid, I can confirm that
observation from the couple that lived on the first floor. Paydays
were the worse with alcohol playing a big part.

Old February 8th, 2011, 02:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Feb 8, 12:08*am, " wrote:
On Feb 7, 6:55*pm, Tom Littleton wrote:

On 2/7/2011 8:20 PM, Giles wrote:

Hard to say. *It would be a lot easier if he had made any kind of
generalization at all about sports fans. *As it is, all we have to
work with is the allegation that battered women's shelters fill up
when the home team loses. *Or, so it would appear from this sector.

[...]
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Tom

It's a 50/50 blend of self-righteous indignation and delusion of
grandeur.

When one utterly fails to understand what one reads, it would be
simpler (and ultimately more elegant and impressive) to simply say
so.....rather than going to all of the bother of demonstrating it.

You don't learn.

g.
Old February 8th, 2011, 10:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

On 2/8/2011 8:05 AM, D. LaCourse wrote:

And, as someone that lived in a duplex as a kid, I can confirm that
observation from the couple that lived on the first floor. Paydays were
the worse with alcohol playing a big part.

Dave

pay, coupled with poor expenditures(drugs,alcohol, gambling) are the
major triggers, although a host of small factors affect individual
cases. Linking it to football games, or Nascar, is simply idiotic.
I guess this subject is somewhat nearer to me, as setting up a series of
rural shelters is the planned 'retirement' project that my wife wishes
to focus on in rural Virginia. Laying the groundwork for same led to a
bit of research on my part, and making lame generalizations or glib
remarks about the problem probably affects my sensibilities more than many.
tom
Old February 8th, 2011, 11:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-02-08 17:58:52 -0500, Tom Littleton said:

[...]

Yeah, sort of like recklessly calling someone a misogynist.

d;o)

Old February 8th, 2011, 11:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Feb 8, 4:58*pm, Tom Littleton wrote:
On 2/8/2011 8:05 AM, D. LaCourse wrote:

And, as someone that lived in a duplex as a kid, I can confirm that
observation from the couple that lived on the first floor. Paydays were
the worse with alcohol playing a big part.

Dave

pay, coupled with poor expenditures(drugs,alcohol, gambling) are the
major triggers, although a host of small factors affect individual
cases. Linking it to football games, or Nascar, is simply idiotic.
I guess this subject is somewhat nearer to me, as setting up a series of
rural shelters is the planned 'retirement' project that my wife wishes
to focus on in rural Virginia. Laying the groundwork for same led to a
bit of research on my part, and making lame generalizations or glib
remarks about the problem probably affects my sensibilities more than many.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * tom

Actually, it's probably more a case of a couple of years of sucking
the diminutive member affecting your sense. We told you that you
should stop that. But you wouldn't listen.

You should go back and read what I wrote. And then see if you can
find someone to translate into a language your scientific training has
prepared you to deal with.

giles
who, in fairness, confesses that he believes tommy knows what he's
done.....he just can't figure out a way to admit he has a substance
abuse problem that sometimes causes embarrassing lapses in
judgment. oh well.
Old February 8th, 2011, 11:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

Old February 9th, 2011, 12:25 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

* * * * * * * tom

Yeah, sort of like recklessly calling someone a misogynist.

d;o)

moron.

pig.

g.

And AGAIN. Too easy, really.

Butcher.

Sadist.

Davey

Old February 9th, 2011, 12:31 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

Old February 9th, 2011, 12:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

*

Old February 9th, 2011, 12:56 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles