Montana Clave?

Old February 10th, 2011, 05:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
flebow[_2_]

Default Montana Clave?

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 09:03:36 -0800 (PST), Larry L
wrote:

On Feb 9, 10:56*am, flebow wrote:

Any interest?

I think that the rivers will be blown \

I'm planning on coming prepared to be more serious on stillwaters for
a back-up plan early this year .... I've never done Henry's Lake
( drive by it dozens of times a year ), for instance, or the Blackfoot
lakes in your general vicinity. There are several western Montana
rivers I keep meaning to visit, the Bitterroot most noted .... but
they may not be at the levels I'd like to fish until late in the
year .... I have a friend that routinely hits that area as part of his
Fall schedule and I may join him this year.

However, it's my guess that, snow pack numbers aside, this won't be a
hugely late season, more like normal .... a "normal" that hasn't been
the norm ... lately

Springs when it's still snowing fairly often in Yellowstone well into
June can be really good fishing .... ah, IME

I would still figure the rivers will be blown thru June
Which is why I may head to the East Coast to fish w my nephews and
When I coome back - Yellowstone - mid July

If you want to fish the Blackfoot lakes Its in Browning and you do not
want to stay in Browning
You alos need a rez licensc $30-$60
Let me know before you go.
Joe Kipp is the #1 Indian Guide and he takes you to places that only
the tribe now of - JUst beautiful
Joe also has a good section of Cut Bank Creek runnung thru his propet
and that is a good fishery

Moron

Old February 10th, 2011, 06:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

On Feb 10, 9:56*am, flebow wrote:

I would still figure the rivers will be blown thru June
Which is why I may head to the East Coast to fish w my nephews and
When I coome back - Yellowstone - mid July

It's always hard to know in advance, sometimes, like last year, even a
few days in advance, whether a given section of a given river will be
in good condition on a given date.

The Madison below Quake is the most popular area fishing destination
and mid-July is "always" a good bet there, something worthwhile will
be happening, if not the same thing as previous years at the same
dates. I don't fish down there much at all, so my comments will
always pertain to different waters or sections of the Madison. I saw
on another forum that a mid-July clave-like thing was happening based
at Campfire lodge (which is on the Madison, between the lakes, I
think). If you don't work out something with this group, contact me
and I'll send you a link, if you're interested.

As for the Blackfoot Lakes ... I have "the book" and they have long
been on my list. I don't do guides, for many reasons, but I'm sure
the one you suggest is a good one, for those that do.

Old February 10th, 2011, 10:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Feb 9, 10:41*pm, DaveS wrote:
On Feb 9, 5:02*pm, jeff wrote:

On 2/9/2011 2:05 PM, Ken Fortenberry wrote:

flebow wrote:
Any interest?

This would be a good opportunity to finally put to rest the
Fawn Lake rumor.

What we need is an expedition equipped with GPS devices and
digital cameras.

Any volunteers ? Jeffie ?

if you agree to show up, and we have at least one other disinterested
person accompany us to record and report the event...sure, i'm in.

how about a bet? i say and bet there's a fawn lake. *you say and bet it
doesn't exist. loser pays the other's roundtrip airfare to bozeman, buys
the night's meal and beer in the park, and makes a public statement on
roff admitting the other person was right about fawn lake. i think i can
walk us to the lake without a gps...it's just beyond the backcountry
campground...but bring your gps. *don't worry, i'll have a camera.
gotta have a photo of you at the lake. we'll get warren to come along
too. we can fish two small brookie streams and the lake. @ 12 miles
roundtrip as i recall. *i'm old, and i'm miserably out of shape...this
will give me another reason to get fit.

jeffie

Whoa friends. Why not make the bet a bit more in line with the times
and such? After all it is just a disagreement about the geography of a
place of which neither of you guys are resident. Good people can be
good and wrong; it is normal. I suggest that he who loses the bet gets
to buy me a new Sage rod. That would be fair.

Dave

Don't have much of an opinion on whether or not the suggested payout
would be fair, but I think it bears keeping in mind that the bet has
already been won.

Still, ya almost gotta give the doughboy credit for tenacity.....if
not originality. Many a twelve year old boy has used the tactic of
eternal insistent denial to his advantage. No, it doesn't convince
anyone.....but it generally wears them down eventually.

giles
Old February 10th, 2011, 10:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Feb 10, 7:17*am, jeff wrote:
On 2/10/2011 7:51 AM, Ken Fortenberry wrote:

DaveS wrote:
jeff wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
This would be a good opportunity to finally put to rest the
Fawn Lake rumor.

What we need is an expedition equipped with GPS devices and
digital cameras.

Any volunteers ? Jeffie ?

if you agree to show up, and we have at least one other disinterested
person accompany us to record and report the event...sure, i'm in.
snip

Whoa friends. ...

Whoa is right. There's no way in hell *I'm* going to schlep all
the way up there. That would defeat the purpose of the whole
exercise which is to get *Jeffie* to schlep all the way up there.

Again. LOL !!

as i suspected. all hat, no cattle.

Not quite.

It's actually a no hat, no cattle scenario. The doughboy knows that
he screwed the pooch several years ago (well, actually, it was the
pooch that "got lucky".....assuming it had low standards and
expectations......but your average canid takes what it can find under
a barstool, I guess), and knows that nobody is buying any of his
pathetic bull****. This is what happens in a no retreat, no way
forward, and no room for lateral movement situation.

It would all be ineffably sad (to your average humanist) if it weren't
so GODDAMN FUNNY!

it's a pleasant hike, great scenery, and a lake with big brook trout.
two small streams...headwaters of the gardner and fawn creek, full of
brook trout.

Speaking of brookies, I heard a bit of a program on climate change on
public radio yesterday. Best guess predictions based on current best
bet climatological models are that coulee country could well lose
anywhere from 30 to 90 percent of its brook trout suitable habitat in
the next half century or so. I say **** a bunch of Fawn Lake and get
back up here in early June. Deluxe accommodations. Home cooked
meals......and everything you ever wanted to hear about chestnut,
walnut, butternut, hickory, hazel, etc......all at no extra charge.
Hiking available on request.....if you insist.

i'd love to go back again. *but, having done it twice, the
third time will be simply to prove yellowstone kenny doesn't know what
he's talking about.

Hm.....

Stretch yourself. Prove that the sun rises in the east. Prove that
birds can (mostly) fly. Prove that fire is hot. Prove that trees have
roots. **** a bunch of doughboy. EVERYBODY already knows that the
doughboy is the perennial poster child for bathos. It's been done to
death. Even the ceritifiable idiots here know that the doughboy is a
sad joke.

i think he's saved me the effort by his refusal to
back up his ignorant bluster.

Correction; you've KNOWN that for years.....as have the rest of us.

Still, favorite toy non disputandum est, ainna?

giles
who is seriously considering hosting a gathering in the driftless area
of southwestern cheeselandia in early june if there is any interest.
for now, suffice it to say that there are many many miles of superb
trout water (in terms of production, if not necessarily everybody's
personal aesthetic ideal) within thirty minutes drive.....not to
mention a ton and a half of sublime (if not necessarily grandiose)
scenery. three beds and tent space for a hundred or so
available......book early, book often.
Old February 11th, 2011, 12:19 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

On 2/10/2011 5:40 PM, Giles wrote:

Speaking of brookies, I heard a bit of a program on climate change on
public radio yesterday. Best guess predictions based on current best
bet climatological models are that coulee country could well lose
anywhere from 30 to 90 percent of its brook trout suitable habitat in
the next half century or so. I say **** a bunch of Fawn Lake and get
back up here in early June. Deluxe accommodations. Home cooked
meals......and everything you ever wanted to hear about chestnut,
walnut, butternut, hickory, hazel, etc......all at no extra charge.
Hiking available on request.....if you insist.

sounds great...i'll need to see what's happening hereabouts first as i
have a 2 week trip planned in march, and a bit of home construction - an
addition to the house - beginning soon, which is guaranteed contractor
hell. but, for pre-planning and full-of-hope, good intention purposes,
what's the nearest airport...milwaukee?

jeff
Old February 11th, 2011, 02:24 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Feb 10, 6:19*pm, jeff wrote:
[...]

One could say, "think of it as an adventure!",

but then, one has heard that said to bone marrow transplant
recipients.....and donors.

but, for pre-planning and full-of-hope, good intention purposes,
what's the nearest airport...milwaukee?

La Crosse (LAX), about 25 miles down the road. Nice view of the
father of waters on the approach.....not to mention on landing.

Not a "major" airport by any stretch of the imagination, but it
definitely has regularly scheduled flights to and from Milwaukee and
Minneapolis (the latter being marginally closer and perhaps a bit
cheaper) and probably Detroit and Chicago as well, though I haven't
actually checked on the latter two.

In any case, Milwaukee and Minneapolis are the closest major airports
and are about equidistant from Sparta at roughly 3 hours' drive, and
would probably represent a substantial savings over flying directly
into La Crosse. Either way is a nice enough drive.....in
daylight.....otherwise its just a three hour drive. Not a problem.

giles
who has never actually experienced it himself, but supposes that
landing in/on/next to one of the world's great rivers has a certain
charm all its own.....at leat at this time of year when, in these
latitudes, it essentially completely frozen over.
Old February 11th, 2011, 02:27 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

wrote:
On Feb 9, 10:56 am, flebow wrote:

[...]

moron.

g.
its the simple things that betray one.
Old February 11th, 2011, 02:52 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
flebow[_2_]

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 10:53:05 -0800 (PST), Larry L
wrote:

As for the Blackfoot Lakes ... I have "the book" and they have long
been on my list. I don't do guides, for many reasons, but I'm sure
the one you suggest is a good one, for those that do.

I unerstand re guides Sometimes, in a new place we will go one day
and pick his brain
then fish on my or our own
In ths case you will never get to ggod water w/o an IIndian guide ass
many areas are only fopr tribal memnbers

Fred
Old February 11th, 2011, 03:25 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

On 2/10/2011 9:24 PM, Giles wrote:
On Feb 10, 6:19 pm, wrote:
[...]

having never seen a full grown chestnut tree, and as an admirer of the
coulee country streams (at least to the extent my weak grey matter
allows a recollection - i do remember an apparition, a log that
miraculously became a fish - and, trout that shared a universe with
cows...well, i'm on go if it can be fashioned from the rough fabric that
usually envelopes me. another trip to wisconsin seems a worthy
adventure...not to ignore or minimize your own good company (and
cooking). it would be excellent luck to see joel and george and becky
and...well...june is a lifetime from now, and one i hope to live. i'll
start checking flight schedules and costs. you start checking on the
spotted cow...

jeff

jeff
Old February 11th, 2011, 02:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

flebow wrote:
[...]

since the bet has been avoided... here's a link sent to me by a friend...

http://www.yellowstone.co/lakes/fawn.htm

jeffie