Fly Lines & Reels

Old November 20th, 2008, 12:36 PM posted to alt.flyfishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
Charles Turner

Default Fly Lines & Reels

Hi Guys,

Just got a new Scierra rod and am looking to spend Ģ100-150 on a new reel,
any suggestions?
Also what is the best WF8 Flating Fly Lines.

Thanks,

Charles

Old November 20th, 2008, 01:56 PM posted to alt.flyfishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article , Charles Turner
wrote:
Hi Guys,

Just got a new Scierra rod and am looking to spend Ģ100-150 on a new reel,
any suggestions?
Also what is the best WF8 Flating Fly Lines.

NOW you've started something - I'm not going to recommend anything - but:
before you finally decide, try it on your rod and check the balance.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old November 20th, 2008, 04:20 PM posted to alt.flyfishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
Don Phillipson[_3_]

"Charles Turner" wrote in message

Just got a new Scierra rod and am looking to spend Ģ100-150 on a new reel,
any suggestions? Also what is the best WF8 Flating Fly Lines.

1a: Balance (line to rod action.)
1b. Balance (of filled reel on your rod in your hand.)
2. Temperatu fly line flexibility may vary with temperature
and this is functional in fishing pleasure and efficient casting.
(The range of temperature is much smaller in Britain than
elsewhere, but is still relevant to how the line behaves.)
3a. Line taper for selected presentation (whether of fast-sinking
nymphs or tiny dry flies.)
3b. Line taper for accurate casting to the range at which you fish.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old November 20th, 2008, 08:34 PM posted to alt.flyfishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
[email protected]

Charles Turner wrote:
Hi Guys,

Just got a new Scierra rod and am looking to spend Ģ100-150 on a new
reel, any suggestions?
Also what is the best WF8 Flating Fly Lines.

Thanks,

Charles

I would suggest the Okuma Airframe for that line capacity;

http://www.okumafishing.com/products...g/airframe.htm

http://www.tackleshop.co.uk/tacklesh...frame_fly_reel

I have several of these reels which I use mainly in salt water, mostly
for sea-trout, and for large predator fishing. One may of course use
them for anything at all. I donīt see the point in spending a great deal
more than you need to, and I donīt know of any good alternatives in that
price range anyway.

With regard to a line, before one may give any recommendations at all,
more data is required. What do you want to use it for? ( I am tempted
to assume the "standard" sort of still water fly-fishing practised
widely in the UK, but might of course be wrong).

TL
MC
Old November 20th, 2008, 10:37 PM posted to alt.flyfishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
W. D. Grey

In article , Derek Moody
writes
In article , Charles Turner
wrote:
Hi Guys,

Just got a new Scierra rod and am looking to spend Ģ100-150 on a new reel,
any suggestions?
Also what is the best WF8 Flating Fly Lines.

NOW you've started something - I'm not going to recommend anything - but:
before you finally decide, try it on your rod and check the balance.

Cheerio,

Well I'll offer my two pennorth! Without being too "gear feak" minded, I
can only say how pleased I've been using my BFL "Rimfly" reels with
Cortland 444 WF8 floating line.

Don't knock it till you've had a look.

Ģ100 for a reel - that makes me "reel"
--
Bill Grey

Old November 20th, 2008, 11:50 PM posted to alt.flyfishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article , W. D. Grey
wrote:

Ģ100 for a reel - that makes me "reel"

:-)

For that I could get for or five of the reels I usually use -and- the lines
to fill 'em.
I hesitate to recommend lines mainly because I don't know who makes the
mill-ends I buy...

Cheerio,

Old November 21st, 2008, 02:27 AM posted to alt.flyfishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
[email protected]

Derek Moody wrote:
In article , W. D. Grey
wrote:

Ģ100 for a reel - that makes me "reel"

:-)

For that I could get for or five of the reels I usually use -and- the lines
to fill 'em.
I hesitate to recommend lines mainly because I don't know who makes the
mill-ends I buy...

Cheerio,

Heh heh, I know who makes mine ( Mill Ends that is) , and I also know a
few of the major brands quite well. I still get quite a few sent for
testing and review, among other things, and I have even been known to
buy them occasionally as well!

Practically all the people I have recently taught, or even just been
fishing with (and usually "borrowing" my gear for a while), now have the
reels mentioned, and most also have the lines I recommend, but I only
recommend such things after I know exactly what they want them for.

The problem as such is still basically the same, and that is, what do
you want to use the line for?

The reel I mentioned can be obtained in some places for less than twenty
five quid, but is in my opinion, and as compared to the
price/application/suitability of practically all others used for
fresh-water and light salt-water fishing, worth at least three times the
price of the most expensive of such reels available.

In other words, I think itīs the best, regardless of price. If I could
buy a better reel for 250 pounds, then I would do so, but I canīt, and
so I simply buy the best for 25 pounds.

Since using these reels regularly, for a number of years, I have become
even more impressed with them as time went on. They are all still as
good as new, even though their five year warranty has in the mean time
run out. Spare spools, or even a second reel as backup is not a problem,
and the reels have all the possible advantages required of such a reel,
and none of the disadvantages. Although being extremely good valie for
money is very definitely an advantage in my opinion, it is only a
secondary advantage in this case.The primary advantages, and the same
citeria I would apply to any reel of any price, are much much greater.

Indeed, at this present moment in time, I donīt think there is a better
reel for the purpose in existence, at any price.

If anybody wants me to list the advantages, I will happily do so.

For anybody who doesnīt know me, I have no financial connections or
vested interest in the various tackle shops, companies etc. I am just
another angler looking for the best I can find, regardless of price, but
happy when I donīt have to worry about the price either!

TL
MC

Old November 21st, 2008, 11:41 AM posted to alt.flyfishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article ,
wrote:

Since using these reels regularly, for a number of years, I have become
even more impressed with them as time went on. They are all still as
good as new, even though their five year warranty has in the mean time
run out. Spare spools, or even a second reel as backup is not a problem,

I'm planning major replacement of reels and lines sometime soon, probably
in the new year. For general fishing I standardised on a cheap graphite job
and bought several along with spare spools and have replaced with the same
model as required (I'm pretty hard on tackle and I don't look after it
properly.) This makes it easy to mix and match and keeps things
straightforward. It was one of the early models and although they are still
available I am well aware that there are new and better reels out there. I
need to replace a back and three spools this time* so it's a good time to
think about changing the standard. I've added your suggestion to the check
'em out list.

Cheerio,

* How well do the Okumas take to being dropped and left soaked in salt,
oily, bilgewater for three days foul weather?

Old November 21st, 2008, 12:40 PM posted to alt.flyfishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
W. D. Grey

In article , Derek Moody
writes
I hesitate to recommend lines mainly because I don't know who makes the
mill-ends I buy...

A lot of people use Mill Ends - I never have, but not for ay particular
reason. They are a good idea for someone learning to cast though, no
point in wrecking a 40 quid line by practising.
--
Bill Grey

Old November 21st, 2008, 01:34 PM posted to alt.flyfishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
[email protected]

Derek Moody wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

[...]

Indeed, prior to getting my first one of these reels ( also after being
allowed to borrow one for a dayīs fishing ), I too generally used a set
of very cheap graphite jobs ( four reels with spare spools in
lightweight reinforced carbon fibre.Donīt think they are available in
the UK) in the salt, for quite a few seasons, mainly because no other
reel I tried stood up either very long or very well to my particular
style of "aggressive wandering" ( as a mate of mine describes my usual
type of beach fishing). One "ding" and most metal reels were either
completely useless or no longer worked well, ( spool jams, drag jiggered
etc) even worse if they got a heavy bash on rocks etc. Bit of a bugger
when youīve hiked a few miles to a spot, slip on the rocks, and jigger
the reel. Also, many of the metal reel finishes, and indeed often the
internal workings themselves, are of material which simply will not cope
with salt water for long, or even the slightest rough handling.

Those carbon fibre reels were also very cheap at the time,( 4.99 Euros
apiece, but that was over ten years ago now ) and although adequate for
a while, were in no way comparable to the Okuma Aiframes. I have passed
these reels on to "beginners", in the meantime. They still work.

With regard to the Airframes in use, dropped on rocks, bashed when
stumbling over stones and beaches, full of sand, sea-water, etc etc etc
my Airframes have proven indestructible so far. Initially I always
rinsed in clean fresh water after use, and then cleaned and lubricated
the reels, but it is now quite a while since I bothered much. All I
usually do now is rinse them off occasionally, and a couple of times a
season I wash them off in clean water and lube the main shaft. I have
never had a single problem with any of them. I have also loaned ( I
always have one Airfrane specifically as a "loaner") these reels to many
people, and they have not managed to damage them either. Most people
have also liked the reels in operation, although some did say that they
"....were OK, just not 'flash" enough", or similar ( never been a
criteria for me).

Anyway, I now use these reels, ( I have five of them and a number of
spare spools, all at least five years old), for all my fishing with the
exception of small stream fishing, for which I generally prefer to use
Vivarellis. ( Bit expensive, but I prefer them for small stream stuff).

There may well be better reels than the Airframes out there somewhere,
although I have tried and handled very many reels, I have not tried them
all, but I have never found one even nearly as good regardless of price.
For a salt-water man, the fact that the reels are quite impervious both
to salt-water and rough handling makes them a natural choice anyway. I
donīt know how they would stand up to sloshing about in
diesel/bilge/multifarious crap etc over any period of time, as I have
never tried it, but I strongly suspect they will be quite impervious to
that as well.

Three years ago now, I loaned one of the reels to a companion, and we
tackled up at the top of a long rather rough concrete slipway, which led
down to a jumble of rocks at low tide. My companion fumbled while
attaching the reel, and it bounced down the whole slipway,over the
rocks, and finally came to rest in a rock pool with a splash. Good that
it splashed, or we might never have discovered where it landed!

He ran down the slipway for quite a way trying to catch it, and was
extremely apologetic when he failed! I actually did not expect it to
survive that, but it did, and apart from a couple of faint scuff marks,
no damage was visible, and it still operated perfectly. He fished all
day with it, and most of the next, playing a number of decent seatrout
from the reel. he wanted to buy it "just in case", but I said there was
no need for that. He ordered two himself, and spools, the following
week. That same reel is still working perfectly, and the scuffs are
barely visible.

It is very rare that I am so impressed with tackle like this that I
would give it what I realise is a glowing recommendation.

Some people donīt like the large arbour, some donīt like "plastic"
reels, some think "itīs too cheap, canīt be any good", some donīt like
"the cosmetics", some say "itīs too light"( Which I consider nonsense in
any case! ) and none of these things have ever been serious criteria
for me. As I believe somebody else in the thread pointed out, the fish
only sees the fly, ( if you get things right! ), and so the actual
cost of equipment is not a serious criterion in that regard anyway.

Although I could simply do without the drag, it is in fact a really
excellent piece of equipment, most especially for larger seatrout, and
allows one to fight such fish from the reel, also good for larger
pollack, and most especially for carp fishing. May also come in handy
for larger pike. Not essential of course, but can be nice to have, and
as the reel has a very good one I am not complaining about it.

I can find no fault with these reels at all. I would very much like to
see them produced with an offset reel foot, but apart from that (
something very few have anyway, excepting very high end expensive custom
jobs), I think the reels are very close to ideal equipment, and if I was
not so fixed on my Vivarellis, I would also use them for small stream
fishing. The low price is of course a bonus, as is the five year waranty.

Anyway, I am sure if you try one that you will be enthusiastic. Please
do let us know what you think.

TL
MC