Cabin fever is setting in already..

Old December 19th, 2003, 04:18 PM
Frank Church

Default Cabin fever is setting in already..

I'm already regretting the days I didn't fish this past year, and could
have (old fartism and plain laziness played a part I reckon) Since I
don't drive commercially when the snow flies I have plenty of time on my
hands (maybe I should take an inventory of my sock drawer?) Just finished
going thru about 10(!) yrs worth of American Angler mags looking for an
interesting fly to tie for GFS2004. Anyway, I wound up reading some
articles more in depth than the first time thru the mags. Next on the
agenda is to tackle a huge stack of Fly Tyer and WarmWaterFlyfishing back
issues. (because of one of those articles I'm already planning a trip to
Indian Pond in Maine for smallies, gonna camp out for a few days right on
the shore. Haven't done that in years and times awastin')
The entertainment value goes far beyond the cost of the subscriptions, as
it puts me back out on the water, even if it's only in my mind, and
starts the wheels turning for where to go for next year. Am I the only
one who constantly re-reads this stuff? Besides haunting the local
libraries, that is.
Some of you probably remember that I ordered a bamboo rod this month,
which will be ready in Feb. I wanted a nice reel for this pole so I
ordered up an Orvis123 disk reel for it yesterday (marked down from $235
to $157) Now this leads to a question about these newer "really slick"
flylines by all the major brand names, ie; are they worth the extra
money? I feel this new outfit deserves the best I can put on it, rather
than, say, a low end line. Or is that all just hype?
The rodmaker (John Kenealey of Solon, Me) advised using 444 Lazerline as
it was very supple. We didn't discuss that at length so I'm wondering if
suppleness or slickness is the way to go when throwing tiny trout flies?
Obviously, this is his personal opinion, and I value it, but what do you
other experienced 'boo casters have to say about that? What would you
recommend for a 7' progressive action rod and tiny flies? (to me anything
smaller than a size 12)

Frank Church
.....whose driveway has disappeared this morning
Old December 19th, 2003, 04:31 PM
Tim J.

"Frank Church" wrote...
[...]

Nope. And I'm REALLY bad at reviewing catalogs I already know front to back.

Besides haunting the local
libraries, that is.
Some of you probably remember that I ordered a bamboo rod this month,
which will be ready in Feb. I wanted a nice reel for this pole so I
ordered up an Orvis123 disk reel for it yesterday (marked down from $235
to $157) Now this leads to a question about these newer "really slick"
flylines by all the major brand names, ie; are they worth the extra
money? I feel this new outfit deserves the best I can put on it, rather
than, say, a low end line. Or is that all just hype?
The rodmaker (John Kenealey of Solon, Me) advised using 444 Lazerline as
it was very supple. We didn't discuss that at length so I'm wondering if
suppleness or slickness is the way to go when throwing tiny trout flies?

FWIW, I bought one of these (a DT4F for my KPOS 3WT) from Walt when they were on
sale last year and have been very pleased with the casting and presentation. I
can't speak for 'boo, because I'm not rich like you. maybe when I grow up. . .

Obviously, this is his personal opinion, and I value it, but what do you
other experienced 'boo casters have to say about that? What would you
recommend for a 7' progressive action rod and tiny flies? (to me anything
smaller than a size 12)

Frank, Stan showed me some of the best warm water fishing a body could wish for
right here in our backyard of Western Mass. When you're truckin' through our
neighborhood next year on your way to Maine, plan to spend a day or two here and
you won't want to leave. Maine-schmaine; we got yer bluegills right HERE, ya ol'
fart.
--
TL,
Tim

Old December 19th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Frank Church wrote:

... I feel this new outfit deserves the best I can put on it, rather
than, say, a low end line. ...

http://www.phoenixlines.com/

I bought one of these in DT5 for my Granger Aristocrat and it's a
very good match. But a silk line is not just for 'boo. I've put it
on a 5wt Sage RPL and it's really nice there too.

It sounds terribly expensive, and it is, but consider that with
proper care it will outlast 4 or 5 $50 plastic lines.

--
Ken Fortenberry- just in from a nice long romp in the snow on XC skis

Old December 19th, 2003, 04:43 PM
Jeff Taylor

"Frank Church" wrote in message
9.11...

Am I the only one who constantly re-reads this stuff?

The mag's and catalogs keep me going through the winter months. I pulled out
a book
last night that I have read about 4 times. I obviously know the outcome but
it's a good
one and takes my mind off the white crud covering the frozen lake in front
of me...

The rodmaker (John Kenealey of Solon, Me) advised using 444 Lazerline as
it was very supple.

Can't speak to the 444 on a bamboo, however I have a DT4 and 5 floating, I
am very
happy with the line. It seems both supple and slick imho...

Good luck with your decision,
Jeff T.

Old December 19th, 2003, 04:47 PM
Wayne Knight

"Frank Church" wrote in message
9.11...
Some of you probably remember that I ordered a bamboo rod this month,

which will be ready in Feb. [snip]Now this leads to a question about these

newer "really slick"
flylines by all the major brand names, ie; are they worth the extra
money? I feel this new outfit deserves the best I can put on it, rather
than, say, a low end line. Or is that all just hype?
The rodmaker (John Kenealey of Solon, Me) advised using 444 Lazerline as
it was very supple. We didn't discuss that at length so I'm wondering if
suppleness or slickness is the way to go when throwing tiny trout flies?
Obviously, this is his personal opinion, and I value it, but what do you
other experienced 'boo casters have to say about that? What would you
recommend for a 7' progressive action rod and tiny flies? (to me anything
smaller than a size 12)

IMO, the newer "slick" lines are better suited for the faster action
graphite sticks. For Bamboo I like DT lines or the Wulf Long Belly lines.
The Lazer line in a DT will be fine on your new cane.

....whose driveway has disappeared this morning

Old December 19th, 2003, 06:18 PM
Charlie Wilson

"Frank Church" wrote:
Now this leads to a question about these newer "really slick"
flylines by all the major brand names, ie; are they worth the extra
money? I feel this new outfit deserves the best I can put on it, rather
than, say, a low end line. Or is that all just hype?
The rodmaker (John Kenealey of Solon, Me) advised using 444 Lazerline as
it was very supple. We didn't discuss that at length so I'm wondering if
suppleness or slickness is the way to go when throwing tiny trout flies?

The pink 444 lines seem more supple to me, they are all I use with
bamboo. I agree that a more supple line is preferable with the casting
action of most bamboo rods; you need to get your rhythm more in sync with
what the rod "wants" to do, and a supple line makes it easier to throw nice
tight loops. I like Lazerlines, but I prefer to use them with more powerful
composite rods.

Old December 19th, 2003, 06:36 PM
Jim Ray

[...]

Frank:

Good choice on the CFO 123 Disc. I got one for a 3 wt T3 last year and love
it. One thing though - I discovered again how important it is to straighten
the line at the beginning of the day, especially on a standard reel. I
needed to make some longish casts at the end of the day and couldn't get
past the tight coils coming off the reel. Missed some nice fish too - if
only I had straightened the line!

The line I was using was an Orvis 3 wt "Spring Creek" weight forward, and it
was a very good match for the rod. Cast very nicely close in, and once
straightened, was capable of some long casts too.

Hope this helps,

Jim Ray
(whose lawyer sold you the truck)
--
email SPAM countermeasures require removal of allnails to reply

Old December 19th, 2003, 07:25 PM
Frank Church

"Jim Ray" wrote in news:wAHEb.1046$gD1.895@fe01:

Good choice on the CFO 123 Disc. I got one for a 3 wt T3 last year and
love it. One thing though - I discovered again how important it is to
straighten the line at the beginning of the day, especially on a
standard reel. I needed to make some longish casts at the end of the
day and couldn't get past the tight coils coming off the reel. Missed
some nice fish too - if only I had straightened the line!

The line I was using was an Orvis 3 wt "Spring Creek" weight forward,
and it was a very good match for the rod. Cast very nicely close in,
and once straightened, was capable of some long casts too.

Hope this helps,

Jim Ray
(whose lawyer sold you the truck)

....yep, I have the same problem with my little LP-1 Lamson reels, but they
sure are nice. You can tell the your lawyer that the truck now has over
100,000 on it and doing nicely. Gonna get down your way this spring Jim, I
have a friend in Salem who likes to float the James for smallies. You need
to come join us if you can.

Frank Church
Old December 19th, 2003, 07:35 PM
Frank Church

"Tim J." wrote in
:

some snippage here

FWIW, I bought one of these (a DT4F for my KPOS 3WT) from Walt when
they were on sale last year and have been very pleased with the
casting and presentation. I can't speak for 'boo, because I'm not rich
like you. maybe when I grow up. . .

Rich? AHAHAHAHAHA, gasp, you gotta be ****tin' me, I'm down to my last
mil right now with at least another 20 yrs to go. Was thinkin about
hittin' up the Pirate for a loan just the other day.

Frank, Stan showed me some of the best warm water fishing a body could
wish for right here in our backyard of Western Mass. When you're
truckin' through our neighborhood next year on your way to Maine, plan
to spend a day or two here and you won't want to leave.
Maine-schmaine; we got yer bluegills right HERE, ya ol' fart.

Well by god, if you can show me some decent gill fishing wouldn't that be
just perfect for that little boo? I hope to **** in yer mess kit. Keep me
in mind and don't you two ketch all the fish...you're on my dance card
for next year. We need to get you and Stan up on the Kennebec or
Androscoggin if you want some real he-man fishing..bring your canoe and
you won't regret it. I know a guy that lives in Mechanic Falls that makes
a helluva guide and canoe paddler. (you listenin Dave?)

Frank Church

Old December 19th, 2003, 07:39 PM
Frank Church

Ken Fortenberry wrote in
y.com:

It sounds terribly expensive, and it is, but consider that with
proper care it will outlast 4 or 5 $50 plastic lines.

Thanks just the same Kenny, but I about choked on my pacifier when I looked
at the price, YIKES! Thanks to all for your advice and suggestions, I'll
have a few months to mull this over.

Frank Church
....is it spring yet?