more puppy drum

Old September 17th, 2007, 02:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
jeff

Default more puppy drum

Old September 17th, 2007, 02:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
jeff

Old September 18th, 2007, 11:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Licker

Jeff wrote: "we have a one fish per person per day slot limit...has to be
between 18-28 inches."

How unlucky are you. Here in Louisiana we get to keep 5 per day. Size
limit is 16 inches to 25 with one over 25 allowed. October is the best time
to catch them as they are spawning so they will be feeding like crazy. We
call the ones under 16 inches rat reds and those over 25 inches usually are
called bull reds.

They put up a good fight. You should try push poling in the grass looking
for them. They will waddle out a hole in the grass and wait for the bait to
pass over them. Throw a seedless gold spoon past them and pull it across
the top of the area they are in and they will attack the spoon.

Sarge

Old September 18th, 2007, 02:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
jeff

Licker wrote:
Jeff wrote: "we have a one fish per person per day slot limit...has to be
between 18-28 inches."

How unlucky are you. Here in Louisiana we get to keep 5 per day. Size
limit is 16 inches to 25 with one over 25 allowed. October is the best time
to catch them as they are spawning so they will be feeding like crazy. We
call the ones under 16 inches rat reds and those over 25 inches usually are
called bull reds.

They put up a good fight. You should try push poling in the grass looking
for them. They will waddle out a hole in the grass and wait for the bait to
pass over them. Throw a seedless gold spoon past them and pull it across
the top of the area they are in and they will attack the spoon.

Sarge

we almost lost our small drum through overfishing and commercial
netting. the limits seem to have helped the stocks here, but the
commercial netting is still a problem. i think south carolina, ga., and
fla also have limits, but not like ours. i don't mind it as i only keep
one if i'm going to eat it.

though i've found a few up in the marsh grass at high tides, most of the
puppy drum i catch are just off the shore or along the deeper slots near
the marsh banks. louisiana and texas fishing for redfish seems more
oriented to poling and sight fishing. some of the nc guides are set up
for that approach on some of the shoal areas in the pamlico/neuse. but,
i rarely see the puppy drum i catch...i try to find spots they are
likely to cruise seeking their favorite prey of small crabs and small
baitfish. sometimes i see or hear their telltale (or telltail) "whoosh"
on the surface. but, most takes are well under the surface. i'm sure
it's because of the places i choose to frequent. some areas my friends
fish involve poling and sight fishing in shallow marsh canals and creeks
where they say they spot the fish. i do keep a weedless gold spoon
rigged on one rod, but haven't yet caught a drum with it. the redfish
magic with a gold spinner works well though. if the redfish would strike
on top and jump...well, i reckon then it might just be the best sporting
fish i could imagine. fights well, tastes good, and fun to chase.

jeff