What's your favorite fly fishing book?

Old April 9th, 2004, 11:20 PM
slenon

Default What's your favorite fly fishing book?

What'd it cost 'em?
Wolfgang

Not a thing we weren't more than willing to pay.

--
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Dark Star

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/i...age92kword.htm

Old April 9th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Wolfgang

"Mike Connor" wrote in message

"Wolfgang" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
SNIP
One hates to cast aspersions (however unintentionally) on anyone's

integrity
or offer commentary on eyewitness accounts of events at which he was

himself
not present, but careful observers as far back as Bartram and Audubon

(as
well as others too numerous to mention) have noted that herons do not
usually carry their prey.

Wolfgang

But some heros apparently do so, maybe it was superman trying to **** off
mighty mouse?

Perhaps, but if so, it was some time ago. These days, so I hear, he
confines himself pretty much to gardening.

Wolfgang
and organic, at that..

Old April 9th, 2004, 11:36 PM
Wolfgang

"Mike Connor" wrote in message

"Wolfgang" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

wrote in message

...those
who burn plastic are unaware that it won't burn and won't break

down.....

Hm.....what do you think we can do to convince them?

Wolfgang
who, admittedly, is stumped.

Well, it isn't so much the ecological issues that have me perplexed as it is
the rapidly oxidizing noncombustibles. I mean, is this why flammable and
inflammable mean the same thing?.......hm......no, I don't think that's it
either.

Wolfgang
who, confused though he obviously is, will still pass on wearing pantyhose
to a brush fire.

Old April 9th, 2004, 11:58 PM
Mike Connor

"Wolfgang" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

SNIP
Well, it isn't so much the ecological issues that have me perplexed as it

is
the rapidly oxidizing noncombustibles. I mean, is this why flammable and
inflammable mean the same thing?.......hm......no, I don't think that's it
either.

Wolfgang
who, confused though he obviously is, will still pass on wearing pantyhose
to a brush fire.

Somewhat bemused myself. Most plastics will burn alright, with some
unfortunate side effects of course, mainly due to incomplete combustion, one
most unfortunate and common effect of burning PVC for instance, is the
production of tetrachloro-dibenzo-dioxin, but complete combustion merely
results in the production of water, carbon dioxide, and hydrogen chloride.
In practice, some incomplete combustion products such as TCDD are invariably
formed, if at relatively low levels.

None of this prevents plastics from burning though.

I am not entirely sure what is meant here.

TL
MC

Old April 10th, 2004, 12:15 AM
Wayne Knight

"Willi" wrote in message

Sounds to me you guys were imbibing in something in bit more
psychoactive than alcohol.

Whatever it is, it ain't Scotch. Can't even spell whisky right!

Wayne
(had to fit that somewhere in this thread)

Old April 10th, 2004, 12:43 AM
Wolfgang

wrote in message
In article ,
says...

It seems to me that anyone that
clever should be able to explain to people why the stuff they are

burning
won't burn.

Well, it seems rather obvious, but since it's you (and we've all seen
the problems you have with reading comprehension) I'll try.

Thanks, I appreciate the effort.

I have never come across someone attempting to burn plastic in a
campfire.

Don't get out much, huh?

I like to think that it's the company that I keep,

I doubt it. When I worked at a so-called "youth ranch" in Missouri some
years ago I took a lot of kids with moderate to severe learning disabilities
camping. None of them showed any sign of difficulty in learning the
requisite skills.

but that's likely just wishful thinking.

So it seems.

Perhaps I've just been lucky.

Well, the fact that you have access to a computer suggests that you've
managed to evade the animal control authorities thus far so, yeah, I'd say
REALLY lucky.

All of the times I've observed it have been upon entering a camp
and finding the garbage left in the fire pits by previous occupants.

Observed what? The burning of noncombustibles? You still don't get
it....obviously. No surprise......obviously. If you have observed people
burning plastic it should come as no surprise that the **** DOES burn. If
you have NOT observed it then all you know is that you've never seen plastic
burn. If you have seen unburned plastics ANYPLACE, then all you know is
that the unburned plastics you have seen were not burned. None of this
informs your opinion on whether or not plastics WILL burn. In fact, NOTHING
informs your opinion on this matter as it is clear that you think plastics
will not burn, while the vast majority of them most certainly DO
burn.....and readily. ALL of the plastics the average consumer comes into
frequent contact with are simply long chain polymers consisting mostly of
carbon and hydrogen, with bits of nitrogen, chlorine, and fluorine. Carbon
and hydrogen have a well documented and rabid (if you'll pardon the
metaphor) affinity for another fairly common and moderately well known and
EXTREMELY reactive element.......oxygen.....you may have heard of it. Put
either or both of the former in close contact with the latter, add a bit of
heat, and stand back because the **** gets exciting real fast.....we call it
"fire". The chlorine and fluorine are even MORE (really, it's true!)
reactive than oxygen...but they swing the same way, if you know what I mean,
and they're fickle. So, they don't much like oxygen, and they aren't
especially fond of carbon or hydrogen either (though they will do some
coupling....heh, heh,....under certain circumstances), so they typically
just scoot off somewhere (more on that if you've got the stomach......and
the neurons and synapses.....for it). Nitrogen likes oxygen well enough,
but ain't exactly infatuated....it comes and goes. Now, of course, there
are lot's of polymers (plastics.....get it?) that have all sorts of other
stuff in them, but most of them are reserved for special applications that
the average consumer isn't even aware of, let alone a party to. They aren't
likely to show up in a campfire. Anyway, what all of this leads up to (as
any marginal reader will have guessed a long time ago) is that the ****
you've found (and, in all likelihood, left.....your own more than
others.....nudge, nudge, wink, wink) in fire pits is simply stuff that
DIDN'T burn as opposed to stuff that DOESN'T burn. I have four separate
containers in my garage, all dedicated to various blends of gasoline and/or
2 cycle motor oil, ranging from 0% oil on up. I just went out and checked
all of them. NONE of the gasoline in any of those containers has
burned.....I KNOW this for a fact because the gasoline is still there. BUT,
I guarantee you that the **** DOES!! burn. Wanna prove me wrong? You
starting to see where this line of reasoning is going?

I don't generally enter other people's campsites while they are
still there,

I assume you do most of your camping in the USA......a country I am more or
less intimately familiar with. It is an undeniable fact that many Americans
routinely go about armed with guns and/or other lethal weapons. It is also
a fact that most people, wherever in the world one might be, do not gladly
suffer intrusions by slavering idiots. I think your policy is a wise one.

so my ability to explain the proper means of disposal
of their plastics is impaired by the fact that those people are no
longer present.

But then, in a very real sense, neither are you. Who is at fault?

Hope none of those words were too large for you,

Not at all. Thanks for asking.

I'd hate for you
to have to try to work a dictionary.

If you were literate and had an attention span you would have learned long
ago that I have numerous dictionaries and work them frequently....and with
great ease. You would also have learned (though the knowledge would do you
absolutely no good) that I AM a ****ing dictionary.

Um......by the way.....would you like to take a shot at explaining why the
stuff that people are burning won't burn?

Wolfgang
anyone suffering from doubts about where all those nickels come from?

Old April 10th, 2004, 12:46 AM
Wolfgang

"slenon" wrote in message
. com...
What'd it cost 'em?
Wolfgang

Not a thing we weren't more than willing to pay.

One begins to wonder whether you would recognize a reference to a literary
antecedent if the bitch jumped up and bit off whatever parts of yourself you
haven't already carved off yourself.......not care, mind you......just
wonder.

Wolfgang

Old April 10th, 2004, 12:59 AM
Wolfgang

[...]

Neither is anyone else. What makes it all interesting (and not a little
amusing) though, is that the author of the original statement to the effect
that people who burn plastics don't know that plastics won't burn obviously
hasn't got a ****ing clue as to what is meant.

Wolfgang
yeah, it's free, but it's STILL cheap!

Old April 10th, 2004, 01:14 AM
slenon

just wonder.
Wolfgang

You can't see my brass doorknob nor my sore toe, no matter how many feet of
fence you whitewash.

Now, if you have a dead cat we can get rid of your warts, maybe sell them to
the Duke of Dishwater, then jump out to Calaveras county for the frog legs.

I recognized the antecedent when it appeared. I chose to ignore the
obvious. And for on brief moment I thought that perhaps you had risen above
your common level. Oh, well. Should have looked at the plimsoll lines and
recalled what dwells in bilges.

And, FWIW, Cruader Rabbit can beat Mighty Mouse any day of the week.