Dubbing

Old October 13th, 2009, 02:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2008

Default Dubbing

At Southern Council, I saw a whole bunch of folks using "Lite-Brite"
dubbing from Spirit River. I've seen this shredded holographic film
with a few other names and as a component of other dubbing. Why not,
its has great flash and is easy to work with. When mixed with other
dubbing materials (angora or silk) it adds just that little bit
extra. You can buy a quarter of an ounce of Lite Brite for $1.75 US
or a dubbing dispenser with 12 of the 24 colors for 9 bucks. Or, if
you're cheap like me, you can look for Angelina Fiber and its
associated knockoffs http://www.embellishmentvillage.com/store.php?cat=3
for MUCH cheaper. By the way, I see on that page that the fiber
artists have us nailed. "It has also been successfully used in its
unbonded form for flytying. We hear it makes great nymphs!" Try the
hot melt type. Mix it 75/25 with some hare's mask and press with an
iron (place material between some butcher paper or a brown paper
bag). It makes a great wing/shell back material.
By the way, I have 8 oz of Angelina knockoff that I spent 4 bucks on
that looks EXACTLY like the stuff in the Spirit River bag.
Other places to get it is at fibre arts fairs, scrap booking stores,
and wool spinning stores.
Frank Reid

Old October 13th, 2009, 02:12 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

Uh, guys, I think we need an intervention here. I just counted up the
total amount of different dubbing and colors I have on my desk. I've
become an addict. If you count the special "frank blends" that are in
little packets, I have a total of 142 differing color/texture
combinations. I'm afraid to go into the cabinets cause I know that
there's a crap load more.
Frank Reid

Old October 13th, 2009, 02:17 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

Found something else. Wapsi is selling something called "Palmer
Chenille." Essentially chenille with half inch fibers coming off of
it. Go to the fabric store and find "eyelash yarn." Exact same
thing.
Frank Reid

Old October 13th, 2009, 10:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton[_2_]

"Frank Reid" wrote in message
I've
become an addict. If you count the special "frank blends" that are in
little packets, I have a total of 142 differing color/texture
combinations.

gawd, Frank, I feel for you. As you may suspect, I wouldn't even try to
count them, but am very sure I am near or past 4 figures for that one. That
said, I will probably generate a few dozen new variations between now and
the Spring.
Tom

Old October 14th, 2009, 03:47 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

On Oct 13, 4:44*pm, "Tom Littleton" wrote:
"Frank Reid" wrote in message

*I've

become an addict. *If you count the special "frank blends" that are in
little packets, I have a total of 142 differing color/texture
combinations.

gawd, Frank, I feel for you. *As you may suspect, I wouldn't even try to
count them, but am very sure I am near or past 4 figures for that one. That
said, I will probably generate a few dozen new variations between now and
the Spring.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Tom

The bride says it isn't a contest. To hell with her, she just doesn't
understand. She's just a fabricaholic.
Frank
Old October 15th, 2009, 04:07 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

On Oct 12, 6:12*pm, Frank Reid wrote:
Uh, guys, I think we need an intervention here. *I just counted up the
total amount of different dubbing and colors I have on my desk. *I've
become an addict. *If you count the special "frank blends" that are in
little packets, I have a total of 142 differing color/texture
combinations. *I'm afraid to go into the cabinets cause I know that
there's a crap load more.
Frank Reid

You got me curious so I looked. That's right at 100 more than I have
( even if you count the marabou that I dub some nymphs with for extra
'internal motion') and I could ashcan at least 15 of what I have and
still be able to tie all the patterns I actually use. For instance,
I have several of the flashy 'Ice" colors but have never tied a fly
with any of them that fish really liked

But, I admit I don't tie for the fun of tying anymore ... indeed, I
commented late in the year as I tried to restock some tiny #22 baetis
patterns that it sometimes feels too much like work.

UM, you've got me thinking ... what do I imitate each year ( or carry
imitations of even if I don't need them a given season )

baetis
March Browns
Salmon Flies
Golden Stones
Little Yellow Stones
damsel nymphs and adults
caddis ( many species, but all either olive, tan, black or creamy
adult bodies .. even less color variation as pupa )
PMDs
Green Drakes
Flavs
Brown Drakes
Gray Drakes
calibaetis
tricos
ants
beetles
water wasps ( a Ranch bug of great importance I've never seen even
mentioned anywhere else )
the very bright green fall baetis, aka pseudos
midges ( several colors but thread, no dubbing )
mahogany duns

I carry a hopper or two but think of them as bobbers not flies ( I
once herded about 50 real, juicy, wiggling, hoppers onto the water on
a windy day and followed the lot downstream 150 yards on one of the
west's best streams before seeing the first one eaten ... 50 X 150
yards of drag free drift per strike ... I've never had faith in blind
fishing hoppers since .... if I'm to fish a terrestrial it will be to
a fish I've seen work, or can actually see on his lie, and it's most
likely to be with an ant, maybe a beetle

I don't think of anything else I consistently imitate, at the moment
( well the pre-emergent stage of the woolybugger bug but chenile, not
dubbing ;-)

Even with a couple color variations of fine dry dubbing and courser
nymph dubbing per bug I can't get to much over 40 .... you really DO
have a problem, Frank G

Old October 15th, 2009, 01:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2008

Even with a couple color variations of fine dry dubbing and courser
nymph dubbing per bug I can't get to much over 40 .... you really DO
have a problem, Frank G

Hello, my name is Frank and I'm a fiberaholic.

Frank Reid
(I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other.)