Electric Outboard Engine

Old March 31st, 2005, 08:36 PM

Default Electric Outboard Engine

I'm a business school student looking at the market feasibility of
introducing a 2-10HP electric outboard engine that could be used as
primary propulsion. This product would be introduced by a major player
in the industry within the next few years. I would like to hear your
reactions and get your thoughts on whether or not this would be an
attractive product. I would also like to know how you see this product
being used once it is introduced.

Old March 31st, 2005, 09:16 PM

I'm a business school student looking at the market feasibility of
introducing a 2-10HP electric outboard engine that could be used as
primary propulsion. This product would be introduced by a major player
in the industry within the next few years. I would like to hear your
reactions and get your thoughts on whether or not this would be an
attractive product

I'd be a bit skeptical at first as to how an electric of 10 hp would
compare to something like my old 9.9 hp Evinrude OB motor in terms of
time of use between recharges vs. gas refuekings, weight and size of
batteries needed onboard to furnish the power vs the size of a 3 or 6
gal. fuel can. Next I' d want to see how it would compare performance
wise. From what we see now in the hybrid auto market the electric motor
portion of the drivetrain has high initial torque, but loses steam
quite quickly at higher speeds; how would this be in a screw propellor
driven boat?

I would also like to know how you see this product being used once
it is introduced

Two version of usage or visions of usage if you will, the first being
as a stand alone propulsion unite for small watercraft. Given the
dwindling nature of oil for gas and lubricants (though complete lack
thereof is far in the future) as these fuels increase in cost, the
electric can bve economically viable.
Second would be as above with autos, that is a hybrid gas/electric.
Outboard motors are notoriously bad in terms of gas mileage, though
we're sure to see gains in that regard as witness the new Evinrude
e-Tec 2 cycle engines, and so anything that would help us gain in that
area is sure to be a selling point.

Old March 31st, 2005, 10:39 PM
David H. Lipman

| I'm a business school student looking at the market feasibility of
| introducing a 2-10HP electric outboard engine that could be used as
| primary propulsion. This product would be introduced by a major player
| in the industry within the next few years. I would like to hear your
| reactions and get your thoughts on whether or not this would be an
| attractive product. I would also like to know how you see this product
| being used once it is introduced.

The market is there.

The technology is not.

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Old April 2nd, 2005, 11:22 PM

Thank you to everyone that has provided comments thus far. Just to
clarify, the intent of my questions is to determine what the customer
values when they decide to purchase a small outboard engine. I realize
that battery technology has a way to go and may not be significantly
improved for a number of years. But there are some advances in electric
motors that can more efficiently utilize the battery power and
therefore provide either more power (up to 10HP or possible greater) or
greater lifespan utilizing the existing battery technology. I also
realize there are a number of smaller companies that do offer electric
outboard motors as a primary drive, however I am looking to see if the
market can be big enough for a major marine producer to step in and
provide a product on a larger scale. Any help that you can provide will
help me in providing good recommendations. As a follow-up to my first
question I would like to know what attributes you primarily look for in
a small outboard (either gas or electric). Additionally, how much more
money would you be willing to pay over the cost of a small gas engine
of similar HP for those additional benefits (quietness, low vibration,
no emissions, etc.)?

Old April 2nd, 2005, 11:57 PM
David H. Lipman

| Thank you to everyone that has provided comments thus far. Just to
| clarify, the intent of my questions is to determine what the customer
| values when they decide to purchase a small outboard engine. I realize
| that battery technology has a way to go and may not be significantly
| improved for a number of years. But there are some advances in electric
| motors that can more efficiently utilize the battery power and
| therefore provide either more power (up to 10HP or possible greater) or
| greater lifespan utilizing the existing battery technology. I also
| realize there are a number of smaller companies that do offer electric
| outboard motors as a primary drive, however I am looking to see if the
| market can be big enough for a major marine producer to step in and
| provide a product on a larger scale. Any help that you can provide will
| help me in providing good recommendations. As a follow-up to my first
| question I would like to know what attributes you primarily look for in
| a small outboard (either gas or electric). Additionally, how much more
| money would you be willing to pay over the cost of a small gas engine
| of similar HP for those additional benefits (quietness, low vibration,
| no emissions, etc.)?

The Electric motor should be comparable in price or less than that of a conventional 2
stroke engine. If it can't meet that criteria it will never gain market share.

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Old April 3rd, 2005, 08:59 AM
Pepperoni

That size engine would fit small fishing craft quite well. I would design
using four 6volt batteries in two banks. I would also incorporate a solar
panel and perhaps a tiny gas genset. Most fishermen would only use the
drive engine intermittently; the solar panel charges continuously. The
second bank of batteries is for safety redundancy and emergency use. I
doubt that you would need more than a 2 h.p. motor for most applications.
You would, however need to incorporate sufficient additional flotation to
support the additional weight of the installation. (about 1 cubic foot of
foam per 50-60lbs)

I know from experience that a 20# thrust electric will push a 17 foot
aluminum canoe at 7kts. (fast enough to troll for salmon)

If you live on a small lake and can deliver power to the boat, electric is
the "way to go". It is quiet, efficient, and well suited to fishing
applications.

Pepperoni

1cf water= 7.48gal
1gal water= 8.34 lb
7.48 x 8.34 = 62.38 (lbs per c.f. water)
http://tinyurl.com/6fklh

oups.com...

Old April 6th, 2005, 11:58 PM

I understand the negative perceptions surrounding small electric
outboard motors. However, there may be an opportunity to provide better
products in the future by understanding what will make an electric
outboard attractive to consumers. I would like to ask all those that
own an outboard engine between 2-10HP (gas, electric, or trolling) to
participate in a survey if willing. All participants will receive a $5
certificate from amazon.com and have a chance to win $200 cash. To
participate in the survey go to www.outboardsurvey.com and click on the
link. I am also looking for people to talk to in person more about this
subject and ask for volunteers that I can interview over the phone. The
interview would take approximately 20 minutes. If that is too long I
could easily shorten it. Any help would be appreciated.