McKenzie vice - need spare part - where?

Old February 8th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Jan Erik Frithjofsen

Default McKenzie vice - need spare part - where?

Hi!
I need a spare part for my McKenzie Pedestal Vice. This is the vice
that is pictured on every page in A.K.Bests book "Advanced Fly tying".
It seems to be out of production and so far I've been unable to get
hold of a supplier of a missing thumb screw .
Can any of you give me a clue ? Any suggestions would be highly
apprechiated.

Best Regards
Jan
Old February 8th, 2004, 11:17 PM
George Adams

From: Jan Erik Frithjofsen

I need a spare part for my McKenzie Pedestal Vice. This is the vice
that is pictured on every page in A.K.Bests book "Advanced Fly tying".
It seems to be out of production and so far I've been unable to get
hold of a supplier of a missing thumb screw .
Can any of you give me a clue ? Any suggestions would be highly
apprechiated.

Take the vise to a machinist or machine shop, and ask them to check the thread
in the hole where the thumbscrew fits. (chances are they'll do it for free, or
at mos, a couple of dollars)

Once you know the size and pitch of the thread, it should be simple to find a
suitable replacement.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Old February 8th, 2004, 11:55 PM
Hooked

"George Adams" wrote in message

Take the vise to a machinist or machine shop, and ask them to check the

thread
in the hole where the thumbscrew fits. (chances are they'll do it for

free, or
at mos, a couple of dollars)

Once you know the size and pitch of the thread, it should be simple to

find a
suitable replacement.

Or, just take the vise to a hardware store and try fitting a screw into the
threaded hole and see what size fits. Then find a thumbscrew in that size.

Old February 9th, 2004, 01:02 AM
George Adams

From: "Hooked"

Or, just take the vise to a hardware store and try fitting a screw into the
threaded hole and see what size fits. Then find a thumbscrew in that size.

Well, you could try that first, but it could be a metric fine pitch thread that
your local hardware dealer wouldn't be able to identify. But it wouldn't hurt
as a first step.