Casting a 3 weight

Old April 21st, 2008, 09:57 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Hardy1[_2_]

Default Casting a 3 weight

Gentlemen

This Apr. 2nd went into the water. Like an idiot. I was the only one
out there as well. Big, fast rains as well.
I broke that rod as well. Needless to say, had to get another. I got a
3/4 weight set up. I am very pleased for the dry fly season with this
purchase.
I have been a 5 weight person all along.
I have a question, your cast with a 3 weight, is it faster, brisker
than a 4/5 weight?
I have been out the past couple weeks, feeling my new rod and reel out.
It feels like it load very quickly.
Any advice my friends?

Nice day gentlemen

--
Hardy1
Old April 21st, 2008, 02:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Scott Seidman

Hardy1 wrote in
:

Gentlemen

This Apr. 2nd went into the water. Like an idiot. I was the only one
out there as well. Big, fast rains as well.
I broke that rod as well. Needless to say, had to get another. I got a
3/4 weight set up. I am very pleased for the dry fly season with this
purchase.
I have been a 5 weight person all along.
I have a question, your cast with a 3 weight, is it faster, brisker
than a 4/5 weight?
I have been out the past couple weeks, feeling my new rod and reel out.
It feels like it load very quickly.
Any advice my friends?

Nice day gentlemen

Depends on the rod, and on things like wind conditions. My 3-wt is faster
than my 5-wts, but on a windy day I still sometimes wish I strung up a 5.
A three weight for me is a real finesse rod.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old April 21st, 2008, 09:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Hardy1[_3_]

Scott,

Thank you very much. I will be able to use this every dry fly season.
I probably will pick up a 5 weight, that I saw recommended here. And not
too expensive. I could place a 4 weight line with this as well, to slow
it down. Defeats the purpose I got it for.
Thanks again,

Nnice day

--
Hardy1
Old April 22nd, 2008, 12:59 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wbranch[_5_]

Hardy1

Another gentleman wrote - "A three weight for me is a real finesse
rod."

I second this comment 100%. While there are likely many Forum members
who rely on a #3 for much of their NJ trout fishing if you get on a
wide open river like any of the Catskill rivers and start getting wind
8 mph with higher gusts you will curse the day you bought the #3. How

long a rod is it?

If you bought it expressly for dry fly work and nymphs, without BB's,
you will be okay as long as there is no wind. Even casters with years
of experience are going to be blessing the fish gods when they can't
cover a fish that is 20' away because the little light #3 line is
blowing every which way but to your target.

I have over twenty fly rods and most are #4 - #6 because I'm first and
foremost a dry fly man on big water. I do have two #3, one a 8' 9" Sage
LL blank that I built years ago that I will use once in a while and
another 8' 6" #3 that is quite soft but a nice Trico rod or for any #14
and smaller rod. IMO one needs a rod with some backbone if there are
strong chances of hooking 17" and larger fish frequently. You should
have enough rod so that you can enjoy a spirited fight but still be
able to tame the fish in as short a period as it possible. Sometimes
three weight rods just don't have the spine to achieve that task.

--
Wbranch
Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:55 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Hardy1[_6_]

Gentlemen,

Wbrance thank you for your advice. I agree. I got this specifically
for my dry fly work without split shot. I have always used a fly as
yourself, for nymphs and emergers in the early season. I also plan to
get a 5 weight for this time of the year.Not a Hardy, but something
reasonable in cost.
After my near drowning this early April! I wanted to treat myself, so
I went with my heart and got the 3/4 weight. This is the part of the
season I enjoy.
Thank you so much

Jimmy

--