Ot? .. digi-cam upgrade

Old April 18th, 2008, 05:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

Default Ot? .. digi-cam upgrade

I have a Pentax Optio 33 WR that is 'water resestant' fits in a shirt pocket
and takes good enough photos for most uses

but I'd like to have a similar type camera ( water proof, small, good
optics ) that has a higher pixel rating .. ie takes 'bigger' photos

I'm not interested in a bigger than pocket sized unit, or SLR or ... ...
( been there done all that photobug **** way back when, I once owned an 8x10
view, 4x5 view, 2 1/2 SLR and a couple 35mm SLRs + a Leica focal plane ...
not to mention a full darkroom ... NOW I just want a 'good camera' to take
digital pictures for hard copy printing at a decent size and high standard )

Suggestions? What's out there now that I should consider ?

as always
thanks in advance

Old April 18th, 2008, 05:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:10:17 GMT, "Larry L"
wrote:

but I'd like to have a similar type camera ( water proof, small, good
optics ) that has a higher pixel rating .

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...digital_sw.asp

It is "water proof", not "water resistant". Big difference. You can
actually take these cameras underwater for shots of the fish before
and after you remove the fly. And, they take a decent picture at a
decent price.

Old April 18th, 2008, 06:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Larry L wrote:
I have a Pentax Optio 33 WR that is 'water resestant' fits in a shirt pocket
and takes good enough photos for most uses

but I'd like to have a similar type camera ( water proof, small, good
optics ) that has a higher pixel rating .. ie takes 'bigger' photos

I'm not interested in a bigger than pocket sized unit, or SLR or ... ...
( been there done all that photobug **** way back when, I once owned an 8x10
view, 4x5 view, 2 1/2 SLR and a couple 35mm SLRs + a Leica focal plane ...
not to mention a full darkroom ... NOW I just want a 'good camera' to take
digital pictures for hard copy printing at a decent size and high standard )

Suggestions? What's out there now that I should consider ?

Your camera has 3.2 megapixels. The Optio WP has 5 megapixels and is
WATERPROOF to 1.5 meters.

I've used one for years. It's a great fishing camera.

Old April 18th, 2008, 09:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"Dave LaCourse" wrote

but I'd like to have a similar type camera ( water proof, small, good
optics ) that has a higher pixel rating .

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...digital_sw.asp

It is "water proof", not "water resistant". Big difference. You can
actually take these cameras underwater for shots of the fish before
and after you remove the fly. And, they take a decent picture at a
decent price.

Dave

are you using this camara Dave?

it's what my photo store guy ( also a fly fisherman with property right on a
local River with big trout surface feeding on the flat right behind his
house, it turns out :-) suggested. But it doesn't have a view finder and
I find the LCD screen hard to see in bright light ... do you have that
problem?

Old April 18th, 2008, 09:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 20:10:26 GMT, "Larry L"
wrote:

are you using this camara Dave?

it's what my photo store guy ( also a fly fisherman with property right on a
local River with big trout surface feeding on the flat right behind his
house, it turns out :-) suggested. But it doesn't have a view finder and
I find the LCD screen hard to see in bright light ... do you have that
problem?

I have the old model that is "water resistant". However, I have
dropped it (twice!) into water knee deep with the lens open, and once
with the lens closed (fall - it was in my vest), but no harm was done.

Santa's gonna give me the water proof one. I'm going to opt for the
"Frank Reid Signature Model", good to a depth of ten feet and dropped
from six feet.

I miss a view finder. That would be my only complaint. I understand
that it is easier to make it water resistant and water proof without
it.

Old April 18th, 2008, 09:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
brians

Larry L wrote:

I have a Pentax Optio 33 WR that is 'water resestant' fits in a shirt pocket
and takes good enough photos for most uses

but I'd like to have a similar type camera ( water proof, small, good
optics ) that has a higher pixel rating .. ie takes 'bigger' photos

I'm not interested in a bigger than pocket sized unit, or SLR or ... ...
( been there done all that photobug **** way back when, I once owned an 8x10
view, 4x5 view, 2 1/2 SLR and a couple 35mm SLRs + a Leica focal plane ...
not to mention a full darkroom ... NOW I just want a 'good camera' to take
digital pictures for hard copy printing at a decent size and high standard )

Suggestions? What's out there now that I should consider ?

as always
thanks in advance

This is a good site to compare cameras. Olympus makes nice "waterproof"
cameras. I haven't read a lot of feedback on it, but what I have read,
has mostly been positive.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...stylus790.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_...tylus1030.html

You can stay with the Pentax, and just upgrade to the newer model. I'm
leaning towards the Optio, because of the excellent macro specs it has.
They have improved the display screen, so it can be viewed in bright
light conditions(a knock on the earlier versions).

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...optio_w30.html

brians

Old April 18th, 2008, 10:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

wrote:

I have a Pentax Optio 33 WR that is 'water resestant' fits in a shirt pocket
and takes good enough photos for most uses

but I'd like to have a similar type camera ( water proof, small, good
optics ) that has a higher pixel rating .. ie takes 'bigger' photos

I'm not interested in a bigger than pocket sized unit, or SLR or ... ...
( been there done all that photobug **** way back when, I once owned an 8x10
view, 4x5 view, 2 1/2 SLR and a couple 35mm SLRs + a Leica focal plane ...
not to mention a full darkroom ... NOW I just want a 'good camera' to take
digital pictures for hard copy printing at a decent size and high standard )

Suggestions? What's out there now that I should consider ?

as always
thanks in advance

Larry,

Here's my take - I've been using digital for quite a while, and have had
a string of cameras, PnS and SLR, from Sony, Olympus, Canon, Nikon. I've
kept them until a "too good to pass up" deal came along rather than
simply going out and upgrading for the mere sake of upgrading, and I
can't remember any that I'd say I've been truly unhappy with. I would
advise that all things being equal, I'd pick one with proprietary
batteries last or one with an oddball memory card/stick - IOW, AAs -
rechargeable Lith-Ions are well worth it, and SDs as first choice. As
with laptops, I've found that unless there are some specific features
you _need_ (or _want_), I'd look for used units, and for the same
primary reason I suggested a used laptop. Many folks out there are
"latest and greatest" types who will buy the latest without regard to
what they actually need, and so, there are often great deals on
perfectly good items that would meet most folks' (actual) needs. Plus,
in the general consumer range of what you seem to be asking about,
competition tends to keep most of the majors pretty close as far as
features and quality. Finally, buying used is sorta like recycling.

IAC, what I'd suggest is that you make a list of which 1-3 year old
camera models from the "majors" - Olympus, Canon, Pentax, Nikon, etc. -
will work for you as far as "must-have" general features (waterproof,
"X" minimum MPs, type of memory, batteries, digital vs. optical zoom,
size, etc.) and look around for any one of them. Check eBay for an idea
of general "market price." Craigslist can be an excellent source for
good "upgraditus" electronics. And I'd be careful about actually buying
from eBay - if you must, buy from a long-time, highly-rated seller, etc.

HTH,
Old April 18th, 2008, 11:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Daniel-San

"rw" wrote ...

Your camera has 3.2 megapixels. The Optio WP has 5 megapixels and is
WATERPROOF to 1.5 meters.

I've used one for years. It's a great fishing camera.

+1, except Santa brought me the WPi a couple years ago. 6 MP, so the pics
are huge.

-Dan

Old April 18th, 2008, 11:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Charlie Choc

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:10:17 GMT, "Larry L" wrote:

NOW I just want a 'good camera' to take
digital pictures for hard copy printing at a decent size and high standard )

I've got an Optio Wp I carry in my vest, and it's a handy camera but I'm not
sure the optics are up to the kind of prints you want to make. Above about 4MP
or so it's more about the optics than the sensor, and I'd look at the Nikon
Coolpix line or some of the Canon models - I think they've got the best optics
of the 'shirt pocket size' group. fwiw
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com
Old April 18th, 2008, 11:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Calif Bill

"Larry L" wrote in message
I have a Pentax Optio 33 WR that is 'water resestant' fits in a shirt
pocket and takes good enough photos for most uses

but I'd like to have a similar type camera ( water proof, small, good
optics ) that has a higher pixel rating .. ie takes 'bigger' photos

I'm not interested in a bigger than pocket sized unit, or SLR or ... ...
( been there done all that photobug **** way back when, I once owned an
8x10 view, 4x5 view, 2 1/2 SLR and a couple 35mm SLRs + a Leica focal
plane ... not to mention a full darkroom ... NOW I just want a 'good
camera' to take digital pictures for hard copy printing at a decent size
and high standard )

Suggestions? What's out there now that I should consider ?

as always
thanks in advance

I have the Optio 20 WP and I think it is 6 MP. It did leak this year in the
surf in Costa Rica. Seems to be OK since it dried out, but seems as if the
rubber seal gets weak after a while.