DJIA up sharply, anticipating Obama victory

Old November 5th, 2008, 11:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
daytripper

Default DJIA up sharply, anticipating Obama victory

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 13:01:07 -0600, Peaceful Bill

On Nov 4, 11:45 am, rw wrote:
The free market has spoken. :-) If McCain wins watch it drop.

Ummm, don't look now but the DJIA is down today.

I know it's not correlated, but if McCain had somehow won you'd
be pointing at the DJIA today screaming the sky was falling.
- Ken

The market was up yesterday because of some favorable economic reports.
Down today as a result of the election.

Do you ever even bother to take a look around you before you opine, or is your
inner parrot set to "mindlessly automatic mode"? Seriously, you seem to be all
about ascending to the throne of the Intellectually Bankrupt King here.

That Obama would win the election was well understood by the investment
community (and pretty much everyone but you, apparently), and thus the market
was up yesterday because (1) there was virtually zero economic news and (2)
the classic "buy the rumor" was in effect.

Today, the "sell the news" phase was in effect - but more importantly, there
were two very significant economic data points released that showed the
economy is continuing its inexorable down-slope:

"Jobs: The labor market continued to get hammered in October, as demonstrated
by two reports released Wednesday."

"Job cuts announced by U.S. employers rose to 112,884 in October from 95,094
in September according to outplacement firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas. That
marked the highest number of layoffs in almost four years."

"Another report, from payroll services firm ADP, showed that the private
sector lost 157,000 jobs last month, up from a revised drop of 26,000 last
month."

"The reports were especially worrisome ahead of Friday's big government
report. That report is expected to show that employers cut 200,000 jobs from
their payrolls in October. Meanwhile, the unemployment rate, which is
generated by a separate survey, is expected to rise to 6.3% from 6.1% the
previous month."

/daytripper
Old November 5th, 2008, 11:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 18:30:19 -0500, daytripper
wrote:

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 15:59:58 -0500, Dave LaCourse
wrote:

On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 11:45:45 -0800, rw
wrote:

The free market has spoken. :-) If McCain wins watch it drop.

LOL. Hey, Girlyman. The dow is down aound 500 tday. So much for
your theories. Too funny.

And, ya can't marry your boyfriend anymore in California. What a
bummer.

Move to Mass. We're still liberal.

d;o)

ahahahahaha! What do you mean, "we"?

/daytripper (or - did you "turn" last night? ;-)

I'm part of Mass. that makes it a "we".

Old November 5th, 2008, 11:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
daytripper

wrote:

The free market has spoken. :-) If McCain wins watch it drop.

LOL. Hey, Girlyman. The dow is down aound 500 tday. So much for
your theories. Too funny.

And, ya can't marry your boyfriend anymore in California. What a
bummer.

Move to Mass. We're still liberal.

d;o)

ahahahahaha! What do you mean, "we"?

/daytripper (or - did you "turn" last night? ;-)

I'm part of Mass. that makes it a "we".

Dave

Excellent! And welcome to the party! Your dress-blues are on the way!

/daytripper (we're all about inclusion here :-)
Old November 5th, 2008, 11:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 18:34:33 -0500, daytripper
wrote:

Excellent! And welcome to the party! Your dress-blues are on the way!

Uh, I already have Dress Blues, Tatosian. They're Navy Dress Blues.
You never did serve, did you?

Better Red than Blue. Anyday.

Old November 6th, 2008, 12:40 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff miller[_2_]

Dave LaCourse wrote:
On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 18:57:02 -0500, jeff miller
wrote:

Dave LaCourse wrote:

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 14:21:42 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Nov 4, 2:53 pm, DaveS wrote:

prosperity is just around the corner.

If that's so, then IMO it's a looooong corner...

I don't envy the people who win their elections. They will face
monumental challenges. From the prez right down to the new school
board member who is finding out the district is heavily invested in
CDOs. I think we are living right now in "history" unlike any since
WWII. We should all pray that those elected will be up to the task and
will honorably attack the great challenges ahead. If they don't, if it
ends up as petty politics as usual, or worse, then God help us all...

Jon.

Wish I had said that. Thanks, Jon.

I love this country dearly. I hope and pray for her prosperity and
safety. I hope and pray that the discord, the disharmony of the last
eight years will end. I have never experienced as much hate from my
fellow citizens except when in uniform during the 60s.

Dave

strident disagreement and principled argument does not equal hate dave...

unfortunately, our culture has become one mired in blame and namecalling
- especially our political culture. nc's own jesse helms and his
brigade of ****stirrers are largely to blame, but so are each of us who
has allowed our human weakness, shallowness, and selfishness to win out
over our ability to think and care about our fellow citizens.

this is a monumentally historic moment and election...i'm not sure many
have really appreciated the uniqueness of this election, despite the
record turnout.

jeff

Congrats, Jeff. Let us now hope that no gun toting nut kills Obama.
The thought of Biden as potus is a scarey one.

Again, Congrats. I can live with the results. My big loss, however,
is that a dear friend, Sonny Parente lost his bid to the Massachusetts
House. He would have made a great rep.

Take care.

Dave

thanks...but i did nothing to garner congrats. i think we all won on
this one. it's going to be interesting.

jeff
Old November 6th, 2008, 02:17 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
daytripper

wrote:

Excellent! And welcome to the party! Your dress-blues are on the way!

Uh, I already have Dress Blues, Tatosian. They're Navy Dress Blues.
You never did serve, did you?

Better Red than Blue. Anyday.

Awww.....Geeze, you're still no fun at all, Davey.

/daytripper (you should get over that)
Old November 6th, 2008, 03:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Peaceful Bill

On Nov 4, 11:45 am, rw wrote:
The free market has spoken. :-) If McCain wins watch it drop.
Ummm, don't look now but the DJIA is down today.

I know it's not correlated, but if McCain had somehow won you'd
be pointing at the DJIA today screaming the sky was falling.
- Ken

The market was up yesterday because of some favorable economic reports.
Down today as a result of the election.

That Obama would win the election was well understood by the investment
community (and pretty much everyone but you, apparently), and thus the market
was up yesterday because (1) there was virtually zero economic news and (2)
the classic "buy the rumor" was in effect.

As I said yesterday (You must be having a retention problem), the market
had priced in (down) an Obama victory. The market was up due to several
good earnings reports. You better check your facts before you puke from
your fingers again.

[...]

And the market readjusted down because Obama actually won. There was a
chance he wouldn't, the market fell when his victory was assured.

Daytripper? Must be using too much LSD for your daytripping.
Old November 6th, 2008, 05:09 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
daytripper

On Nov 4, 11:45 am, rw wrote:
[...]

Whatever. What's truly amazing is your endless ability to ignore facts placed
right in front of your face and keep on spewing your delusions in public...

/daytripper
Old November 6th, 2008, 05:20 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Peaceful Bill wrote:

As I said yesterday (You must be having a retention problem), the market
had priced in (down) an Obama victory. The market was up due to several
good earnings reports. You better check your facts before you puke from
your fingers again.

Can you pull the stick out of your ass long enough to recognize my post
(which started this thread) as a joke?

Old November 6th, 2008, 05:47 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Peaceful Bill

daytripper wrote:

Whatever. What's truly amazing is your endless ability to ignore facts placed
right in front of your face and keep on spewing your delusions in public...

/daytripper

What's truly amazing is how you twist and spin the facts into fiction.

Pay close attention to reality and get some help in drug rehab.