Hauling, Rod-loading.

Old November 12th, 2008, 02:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Default Hauling, Rod-loading.

Scott Seidman wrote:
Scott Seidman wrote:
I just emailed an expert with at least a half dozen academic articles
on fly casting in journals of sports mechanics and mechanical
engineering, as follows:

"I'm having a little argument about fly rod loading and the double
haul that you might be able to help with, if you have the time. I've
chased down some of your articles, but I can find reference to the
haul. What's the mechanism for the stronger cast? Is it increased
line speed, an improved load on the rod, or are these inseparable.

Thanks for your help. NO PRESSING NEED AT ALL-please don't waste any
valuable time on this."

We'll see what we get back.

Got a very nice reply, but I'm a little hesitant to post it before
seeking permission, as the haul is now an active research path for the
guy and he hasn't published it yet.

It's all bundled up and inseparable, line speed, rod loading, line
tension, etc. As with most things casting, its the acceleration of the
haul that makes the biggest difference.

Do you mean to say The Loony's "theories" are loony ?
Preposterous, your guy is obviously a dumbo. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old November 14th, 2008, 12:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff miller[_2_]

Dave LaCourse wrote:

My
grandsons know absolutely nothing about the physics of casting, but I
will guarantee they can out-cast anyone on roff, including all the
"mathematicians". And their double hauls are a thing to behold. Btw,
they aren't very good fly fishers. They sure can cast, however.

Dave

hmmm...ok, i'll choose roger ohlund to be the "anyone on roff", give
each of your grandson's a 5 inch handicap (just to be sporting), and bet
you a trip to sweden he can out-cast them. g

jeff
Old November 14th, 2008, 01:31 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 19:01:57 -0500, jeff miller
wrote:

hmmm...ok, i'll choose roger ohlund to be the "anyone on roff", give
each of your grandson's a 5 inch handicap (just to be sporting), and bet
you a trip to sweden he can out-cast them. g

Hmmmmm. Forgot about Roger. g I was thinking more along the line
of you, the boy lawyer, Fortenberry, et al. You wouldn't take
advantage of an old man, would you........mmmmm, never mind......

d;o)

Old November 14th, 2008, 04:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Harrison

wrote:

hmmm...ok, i'll choose roger ohlund to be the "anyone on roff", give
each of your grandson's a 5 inch handicap (just to be sporting), and bet
you a trip to sweden he can out-cast them. g

Hmmmmm. Forgot about Roger. g I was thinking more along the line
of you, the boy lawyer, Fortenberry, et al.

hellfire, the only thing i ever "hauled" was my own ass up the stairs
when i knew plaintiff #2 was feelin' frisky...

yfitons
wayno(and we all know how *that* worked out)