TR-observations of a newbie bonefisher -#1 (intro)

Old April 11th, 2011, 01:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

Default TR-observations of a newbie bonefisher -#3

On 4/10/2011 9:36 PM, Giles wrote:
On Apr 10, 7:24 am, wrote:

and... i drink just the right amount, thank you very much!

A trick (skill? avocation? discipline?) I have spent a lifetime
trying to learn to master. Alas, I STILL always come up short. :
(

What is the secret?

giles
who notes that it isn't so much the vomiting, headaches, memory
lapses, destroyed personal relationships or general malaise that is so
disheartening as the certainty that one should be able to do so much
more after so much practice.

secret??....genetic i suspect. but, having studied and suffered directly
and vicariously over an ample number of years, an astute sense of when
to quit helps. moderation in most things is not a bad thing either, eh?

jeff
Old April 11th, 2011, 10:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

On 4/9/2011 10:16 AM, jeff wrote:
THE FISH and THE FISHING ...

http://www.captain-miller.com/

a guide is essential for anyone serious about making a first effort at a
bonefish, in my opinion...especially around south andros. however, there
are a lot of flats accessible to those willing to explore and walk. but
a do-it-yourself venture is tough, and spotting the singles and doubles
is harder when wading. the guide can follow the tidal flow as it moves
from one side of the island to the other, especially through south
bight, and can get you to locations inaccessible by foot. the west side
of the island can only be accessed by boat and is a beautiful, unspoiled
fishery. it's about 25 miles through the south bight.

....to be continued...

we fished 4 days straight with capt. marvin miller. left the dock at
about 7:30 am and returned at about 4 pm. usually, we ate lunch (bring
your own food and drinks) while moving from one spot to another. cooler
with beer, water, and food. not much ice. we never found an ice machine
and we never found a place that would sell us ice. fortunately, the
rental had a good fridge and we had adequate ice for our evening
libations and the beer was kept cold there. marvin brought only a small
chunk of ice...not sure where he got it. though the beer wasn't as
chilled on the boat as i prefer, in contrast to the heat of the day,
they were just fine and none were wasted.

the bahamian beer is kalik...pronounced kuh-lick. it comes in a "gold"
version with 7+ per cent alcohol. that was very tasty to me...better
than the regular. most bars sold the regular only, so we bought the gold
at the liquor store. the local bars are also small grills. we ate
several very good meals at those spots, and met some very interesting
and friendly folks. more about that later.

south andros has a number of blue holes, some are located in the waters
of the south bight. interesting to see their deep blue contrast with the
emerald green of the shallower waters. we observed 10 or more tarpon
rolling in one of the blue holes in the south bight on the west side.
marvin and willi said the tarpon weren't eating, just gulping air. quite
a sight. willi fished for them anyway, and if they could have been
caught he's the one i'd bet on... but no takers. they kept rolling but
not eating.

moving water and good sun on the water are key necessities for
bonefishing. "no sun, no fun". we were very fortunate. we had only a few
days where the clouds created a temporary problem.

the water is constantly flushing through the south bight cays and flats
located between mangrove cay and south andros, from one side to the
other and back. marvin always sought areas where the water was
moving...we always found bonefish in those waters. the nice thing about
a boat is you can follow the tides and find the water movement. marvin
knew what was happening, and the happening places, every hour of the day.

ok...so, it went like this...angler of the moment gets on the deck at
the bow of the boat...looks around for the grey ghost image in the
water. we fished flats and canals along the mangrove flats wherever
marvin could push pole the boat, which drafts about 12". he looked for
the mouths of small creeks flowing from the mangroves, and there always
seemed to be fish in those areas. he generally spotted them long before
we did, though we saw a few he didn't. some that he saw, i never saw
until i hooked them following his excellent directions/commands. "coming
in at 11 o'clock, 3 fish, cast about 40 feet, let it sit, ok strip,
strip, strip, stop, strip, stop...fish on" and then you strip strike to
set the hook. once hooked up, even the smaller fish take you into the
backing in a hurry. that's fun guys! of course, there are a lot of
commands that beguile..."no, pick it up...now shoot it at 9
o'clock...pick up, 12 o'clock...shoot it...again!!... awwww jeff, what
was that?" usually said after my line fell in a heap or i went left
instead of right. that pesky clock stuff was confusing. i told marvin
he'd have to speak slow southern for me to get the gist. though i
improved in the final days, i've a lot of practicing to do. still, even
a poor caster like me can successfully catch bonefish. but a good
flycaster will always catch more.

one thing about the bonefish...usually, if you make a good presentation
and catch their eye with some movement, they're gonna eat the fly. they
generally tip down and take it off the bottom, but some charge it. they
don't jump or take on top. if they did, i suspect the bahamas would be
overpopulated and flush with fishermen. still, once hooked, like a false
albacore, that first run is impressive...and, coupled with the need for
precision in making the offering to a moving target, they are a
satisfying challenge. the big ones are a handful. like trout, they live
in beautiful waters and it's a treat to chase after them.

every day out with marvin involved fishing in a different area, always
chosen based on wind, sun, and tides. we got outside on the ocean flats
of the west side once, and fished the western edge of the south bight
most days. i like the west side. no other boats, pristine, unpopulated,
beautiful, and plenty of fish. it costs the guides more to get
there...all of the guides are on the east side, and its a 25 mile run
one way. gas is expensive down there, and the "bottom line" has to be in
the guide's ciphering. one guide apparently told some folks it would
cost an additional $150 to go to the westside! danl did very well there
alone on the boat with marvin, while willi and i waded in the other
direction along the shore. before we got off the boat for our wading
venture, willi hooked a 40+ inch barracuda. it tail-walked, shot out of
the water tarpon-like, and zipped about before breaking/cutting off.
that was neat and caused me to rig a number of wire tippeted barracuda
flies for use later in the trip. barracuda are fun to hook, and unlike
those here in the carolina atlantic waters, are considered a delicacy by
the bahamians... i landed a big one while wading in the shallows off
mars bay and it was exhilarating to hook it and hold on. if you go, take
some 'cuda flies and 20-30 lb wire bite tippet. i joined it to the mono
leader with the wayno method (2 improved clinches) and it held fine.

jeff

Old April 12th, 2011, 12:20 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-04-11 17:58:58 -0400, jeff said:

On 4/9/2011 10:16 AM, jeff wrote:
[...]

Barracuda! While in Panama The Chief's Club contracted a Panamanian
fisherman to make ceviche (bite size chucks of barracude pickled
(cooked) in lime juice. He had his own recipe, and was not willing to
share. But, he said, true ceviche is made only with barracuda. (??)

Nice report, Jeff. I hope to do some bonefishing next year if I'm
better. I'm anxious to read RW's report; he targeted barracuda, so I
imagine he will have a few good tales to tell.

Again, great report. Tks.

Old April 12th, 2011, 01:30 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JR[_5_]

On 4/9/2011 8:02 PM, jeff wrote:

.... so, i told the guy i'd give him the 7 and
he could trust me to come back with the balance and a tip, or i'd give
him the 20 and i'd trust him until i returned. he chose the $7. that
sorta sums up the place and the locals we met.

Fine story to end a bunch of fine stories.

- JR
Old April 12th, 2011, 01:34 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

On 2011-04-11 17:58:58 -0400, jeff said:
jeff

Barracuda! While in Panama The Chief's Club contracted a Panamanian
fisherman to make ceviche (bite size chucks of barracude pickled
(cooked) in lime juice. He had his own recipe, and was not willing to
share. But, he said, true ceviche is made only with barracuda. (??)

Nice report, Jeff. I hope to do some bonefishing next year if I'm
better. I'm anxious to read RW's report; he targeted barracuda, so I
imagine he will have a few good tales to tell.

Again, great report. Tks.

Dave

thanks dave. steve is staying at andros south. it's located north of
mars bay where i hooked my big barracuda while DIY wade fishing. it was
my first on a fly rod, and quite an eye-opener. we saw a lot of
them...most in the 20-45 inch size. mine, measured on my rod, was about
42", and i can say it was one of the best gamefish i've caught on a
flyrod. made even more fun by my quick change from a bonefish rig to
barracuda rig, and then stalking and casting to the log in the shallows
of mars bay. the takewas lightning! i wore him out after sevearal long
runs, but he swallowed my fly and i had to send him swimming off with
it. i'll pay more attention to them in future salty adventures.

i think rw will target whatever presents itself, but bonefish will be
the main course. we saw several tarpon in a feeding lie on the flats,
and the guides at andros south like to find them. barracuda and shark
were plentiful. andros is a great spot...take a google at tiamo when
you've a chance. you'll like its comforts and the guides are tops.

jeff
Old April 12th, 2011, 01:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

On 4/11/2011 8:30 PM, JR wrote:
On 4/9/2011 8:02 PM, jeff wrote:

.... so, i told the guy i'd give him the 7 and
he could trust me to come back with the balance and a tip, or i'd give
him the 20 and i'd trust him until i returned. he chose the $7. that
sorta sums up the place and the locals we met.

Fine story to end a bunch of fine stories.

- JR

thanks.

jr, ...willi is planning a "tourist" trip to dc with his wife sometime
this year...any chance you can give them some suggestions on stuff in
the area. i've told him about the usual stuff...but i'm far off the
mark from a local's perspective on things to see and do in the area. i
know it's sad, but you now qualify as a dc local and contact... g

jeff
Old April 12th, 2011, 03:31 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JR[_5_]

On 4/11/2011 8:41 PM, jeff wrote:

jr, ...willi is planning a "tourist" trip to dc with his wife sometime
this year...any chance you can give them some suggestions on stuff in
the area. i've told him about the usual stuff...but i'm far off the mark
from a local's perspective on things to see and do in the area. i know
it's sad, but you now qualify as a dc local and contact... g

Sure. Not certain I'll still be here (pretty near the end of my
proverbial rope with this job), but if I am, I'd be happy to show him
and his wife around.

Have him email me at the addy this post is coming from.
Old April 12th, 2011, 12:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-04-11 22:31:34 -0400, JR said:

On 4/11/2011 8:41 PM, jeff wrote:

jr, ...willi is planning a "tourist" trip to dc with his wife sometime
this year...any chance you can give them some suggestions on stuff in
the area. i've told him about the usual stuff...but i'm far off the mark
from a local's perspective on things to see and do in the area. i know
it's sad, but you now qualify as a dc local and contact... g

Sure. Not certain I'll still be here (pretty near the end of my
proverbial rope with this job), but if I am, I'd be happy to show him
and his wife around.

Have him email me at the addy this post is coming from.

Hell, just direct him to 14th St. NW. That ought to fix 'em up.

d;o)

Old April 12th, 2011, 06:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

Default TR-observations of a newbie bonefisher -#1 (intro)

"jeff" wrote in message
. ..
in short, bonefishing is a humbling experience to a newbie sal****er
flyfisherman. every flaw in one's casting and line management and fly
presentation is revealed, quickly and often. i have a lot of flaws.

but, following almost 2-weeks of fly fishing the waters around south
andros, i can now mark bonefish off my bucket list. it was a blast and an
intense learning experience. i hope to return for more lessons.

for me, sal****er flyfishing is very different from the mountain trout
fishing i do, with unique challenges. luckily, both are available to me in
north carolina.

for about 20 years, i've done mainly freshwater trout flyfishing when i
had a vacation. otherwise, i've been doing spinfishing in the freshwater
for bass and shad, and in the sal****er for puppy drum, speckled trout,
flounder, bluefish, spanish mackeral and false albacore. with the
encouragement of a friend, and after seeing his glee at hooking an albie
on a fly, i began brief attempts at flyfishing for them and for my
favorite sal****er fish, the puppy drum.

i'm only a mediocre trout fly fisherman...but secure enough in my
knowledge and ability to do it in most places. i'm a miserable sal****er
flyfisherman.

so naturally, this kindergartner of sal****er flyfishing enrolled at the
m.i.t. for bonefishing...south andros, bahamas. it was a hoot! downright
embarrassing at times... but because i was in the company of good folks,
such times became shared laughter and fun and pleasant tutorials. i was
tolerated, as were my deficiencies. i learned, and now i've a new fish to
yearn after as a possible clue in the pursuit of answers to the great
mystery.

for those who haven't done it, if you're able to make it happen, give
bonefishing a go. i'll try to pass on observations from my initial
adventure in other posts.

jeff (more to come, as time and mood allow)

Great TR jeff,

I especially liked the part when you described the guide telling you where
to cast and the strip stop set... way cool...!

The pics are nice too, love the palm tree sunset...

Livin' vicariously,
JT
Thanks a lot....

Old April 12th, 2011, 07:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Harrison

Default TR-observations of a newbie bonefisher -pics

"jeff" wrote in message
. ..
posted some pics on abpf...

jeffie, don't stop now. these reports are the most rewarding reading on
roff in god only knows how long.

and, where the hell are the observations of your sidekicks, dan'l and willi?

yfitp
wayno