tackle box 4 a 9 yr old???

Old December 3rd, 2003, 04:02 PM
lanitalea

Default tackle box 4 a 9 yr old???

Hi ya, just wanted a few Christmas ideas for my lillte fisherboy!!! We are
moving to St petersburg Fl and hes after some scary shark, so what is it I
should fill his new tackle box with??? Any suggestions?? Thanks ELLE ~.~

Old December 4th, 2003, 04:22 AM
joe

In article BWmzb.411132$Fm2.417969@attbi_s04,
"lanitalea" wrote:

Hi ya, just wanted a few Christmas ideas for my lillte fisherboy!!! We are
moving to St petersburg Fl and hes after some scary shark, so what is it I
should fill his new tackle box with??? Any suggestions?? Thanks ELLE ~.~

If it is really shark he wants to catch cut bait is the best option. You
will need heavy (30 - 80 pound test) and 100 pound or better shock
tippet or possibly wire. I don't suggest wire though as there is no good
way other than cutting it to release and you won't get close enough to
make it neat and keep your fingers. I am not sure how well circle hooks
work with sharks (they usually hook in the corner of the mouth) but you
could try them. Hooks would be heavy wire and maybe 2/0 or 3/0. You will
also need some heavy weights for bottom fishing. However, sharks can be
fished on the surface under floats or some use balloons.

Fishing from a pier or the beach means you will need extra line capacity
as a hooked shark will probably run and there is not much you can do to
stop it until it tires a little.

That may help a little. I am no expert on fishing for sharks and I am
not sure how you will be going after them. Just remember that many
sharks are protected so check any regulations. Don't kill a shark
needlessly nor assume a dead shark is a good shark.

Good Fishin'

Atlanta Joe
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishing is Flat Fun!
Old December 5th, 2003, 03:18 PM
Rodney

"lanitalea" wrote:

Hi ya, just wanted a few Christmas ideas for my lillte fisherboy!!! We are
moving to St petersburg Fl and hes after some scary shark, so what is it I
should fill his new tackle box with??? Any suggestions?? Thanks ELLE ~.~

If it is really shark he wants to catch cut bait is the best option. You
will need heavy (30 - 80 pound test) and 100 pound or better shock
tippet or possibly wire.

A 9 year old can't hold back on any drag set higher than 15 lbs for
long,, Hopefully he will be catching "Atlantic pointer sharks" from the
beach, they never get over 3 feet, and are good eating. You must use
single strand steel to the hook. I use 50 to 100# spectra for a shock
leader, plus Spectra can't be cut by the sharks skin allowing me to use
a short steel leader. (much easier to cast than a leader as long as the
shark will be)

If he hangs into a big bull, no little guy can land him, the shark just
wears them out, before he wears out. I have fought bulls for hours from
the beach

I don't suggest wire though as there is no good
way other than cutting it to release and you won't get close enough to
make it neat and keep your fingers. I am not sure how well circle hooks
work with sharks (they usually hook in the corner of the mouth) but you
could try them.

They work well but you need the larger sizes, from 5/0 up, a 5/0 is
fine for pointers.

Catching the bait is as much fun as catching sharks for little kids, pin
fish work well and anything that can catch a blue gill will catch pin
fish,, I also like using blue fish for bait, these get larger and are a
blast to catch,, you must use a steel leader with these, they are the
paronia of the gulf cost, don't let a little guy unhook one. any cut
bait will work though, bought mullet if you can't catch any bait.

Fishing from a pier or the beach means you will need extra line capacity
as a hooked shark will probably run and there is not much you can do to
stop it until it tires a little.

If you get a large bull or hammer head this is true, the small pointers
fight well but not long.

That may help a little. I am no expert on fishing for sharks and I am
not sure how you will be going after them.

I have caught many hundreds of them from the beach

Just remember that many
sharks are protected so check any regulations. Don't kill a shark
needlessly nor assume a dead shark is a good shark.

Unless it is a bull shark, the most dangerous shark in the world, they
account for over 90 percent of the human attacks world wide and over 95
percent in the US, and the Florida coast is full of them, they live next
to the beach mostly, and are not over fished by commercial fishermen,
and their numbers are increasing. If I catch a Bull, he is DOA, all you
shark huggers can complain all you like. I don't care. Any Bull close
enough to the beach for me to catch him, is dangerous for swimmers,,
even waders.

I release all others species except what I'm going to eat, like the
black tips, and pointers. Even the big Hammers I turn loose.

Sport fishing does not damage any fish populations, it's the commercial
guys who hurt the resources, and yet we get the punishment

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Straight Up Hooks ,

Old December 5th, 2003, 11:57 PM
Dan Krueger

Your information on the bull shark is incorrect. See he

http://www.floridamarine.org/feature...e.asp?id=12883

"One of the more dangerous shark species, accounting for the third highest
number of attacks on humans"

In the order of attacks on people...

(1) Great White Shark
(2) Tiger Shark
(3) Bull Shark

Dan

Old December 6th, 2003, 04:00 PM
Rodney

Dan Krueger wrote:

Your information on the bull shark is incorrect. See he

http://www.floridamarine.org/feature...e.asp?id=12883

"One of the more dangerous shark species, accounting for the third
highest number of attacks on humans"

In the order of attacks on people...

(1) Great White Shark
(2) Tiger Shark
(3) Bull Shark

Dan

This is the old theory, the latest figures has placed it number one in
the US, and now believed to be number one though out the world. Although
the tiger and whites "kill" more people the Bull attacks more.

# Constitutes only a small portion of the commercial shark fishery

These guys are over populating the beach areas.

You must remember shark attacks are bad news for the Florida economics,
they want to down play the threat as much as possible, since great
whites and tigers don't roam the beaches of the gold coast, them
claiming the bulls are less of a threat than these two , so come on
down, and swim with the bulls.

My information was from the Discovery Channel, and the latest studies
done on shark attacks.

This Florida page also stated that bulls "may" live in fresh water,
there is no "may" about it, they do live in fresh water, and have been
caught up the Mississippi river as far north as St. Louis, and the live
in fresh water lakes in Central and South America.

I wish to correct my other post when I was saying pointers, I was
meaning Atlantic sharp nose sharks, we just call them pointers because
of their sharp nose, sorry about that