Alberta... Early August...

Old February 20th, 2005, 03:10 AM
George Cleveland

Default Alberta... Early August...

Camping (tent)?... Bears?...An Occasional Fish?... (OT) The Tyrell
Dino Museum?...

Info appreciated.

g.c.

Man Few Words
Old February 20th, 2005, 06:45 AM
Tim Lysyk

George Cleveland wrote:
Camping (tent)?... Bears?...An Occasional Fish?... (OT) The Tyrell
Dino Museum?...

Info appreciated.

g.c.

Man Few Words

Where are you planning on going in Alberta? I'd more than willing to
show you a few spots.

Tim Lysyk
Old February 20th, 2005, 06:40 PM
George Cleveland

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 06:45:09 GMT, Tim Lysyk
wrote:

George Cleveland wrote:
Camping (tent)?... Bears?...An Occasional Fish?... (OT) The Tyrell
Dino Museum?...

Info appreciated.

g.c.

Man Few Words

Where are you planning on going in Alberta? I'd more than willing to
show you a few spots.

Tim Lysyk

The motivation for our choice of Alberta is to allow my wife to visit
an old friend in Calgary. But as I don't see us hanging around for
more than a day or two (remembering Franklin's admonition about
visitors and fish) most of our trip will be spent camping in the
mountains of Southern Alberta. While I might want to try the Bow for a
day I'd much rather be close to a small stream with lots of pocket
water. I'm not one to focus on big fish. If I could wake up (uneaten
by bears) and look out my tent flap at a stream that held a fair
population of 8 to 12 inch trout I'd be happy. I've been looking at
the Provincial Parks south of Banff online and wondering what they had
to offer. But any info would be appreciated.

g.c.

Old February 20th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Jeff Miller

George Cleveland wrote:

If I could wake up (uneaten
by bears) and look out my tent flap at a stream that held a fair
population of 8 to 12 inch trout I'd be happy.

well then...you really must make a trip to swain and graham county,
nc....happiness awaits. g

jeff
Old February 20th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Tim Lysyk

George Cleveland wrote:

visitors and fish) most of our trip will be spent camping in the
mountains of Southern Alberta. While I might want to try the Bow for a
day I'd much rather be close to a small stream with lots of pocket
water. I'm not one to focus on big fish. If I could wake up (uneaten
by bears) and look out my tent flap at a stream that held a fair
population of 8 to 12 inch trout I'd be happy. I've been looking at
the Provincial Parks south of Banff online and wondering what they had
to offer. But any info would be appreciated.

The Bow is best fished from a drift boat for various reasons.

My recommendation is that you take the Forestry Trunk Road south towards
the Crowsnest Pass, and camp and fish along the way. The total drive is
less than 3 hours.

Campsites are plentiful in the Forest reserve, including random camping
with no facilities. Bears are not a big concern as long as you are bear
smart. I can recall four attacks in Southern Alberta the whole time I
have been here (16 years). Three were during the day during fishing or
hunting activities. Two were within a week of each other, and were the
first maulings in 10 years. One resulted in a death. Only one attack was
on a tent with sleeping campers, and that was in Banff. I don't think
anyone was killed.

There are a number of campsites in the Crowsnest pass area. All are safe.

I would be more than willing to meet you one day and take you to a small
streams. I took Tim Cartar to a few a couple of years ago. There is a
lot of water in the area, and the fishing should be pretty good that
time of year.

For other things to see, I recommend Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump, the
frank slide interpretive centre. The tyrell museum in drumheller is
worth a trip, and would be an easy day trip from Calgary. It is in the
other direction from the good trout fishing, but it is impressive.
Old February 20th, 2005, 10:26 PM
George Cleveland

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 14:10:55 -0500, Jeff Miller
wrote:

George Cleveland wrote:

If I could wake up (uneaten
by bears) and look out my tent flap at a stream that held a fair
population of 8 to 12 inch trout I'd be happy.

well then...you really must make a trip to swain and graham county,
nc....happiness awaits. g

jeff

Going out to NC in October was discussed and rejected (so far) due to
having to pull Mason out of school for a week or 10 days. But it does
sound as if fishing the NC mountains is as close as a person could get
to my preferred style of fishing.

g.c.
Old February 20th, 2005, 10:34 PM
George Cleveland

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 19:49:33 GMT, Tim Lysyk
wrote:

George Cleveland wrote:

[...]

I'll let you know when things firm up a little more. I'd enjoy meeting
you.

George C.
Old February 20th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Jeff Miller

wrote:

George Cleveland wrote:

If I could wake up (uneaten
by bears) and look out my tent flap at a stream that held a fair
population of 8 to 12 inch trout I'd be happy.

well then...you really must make a trip to swain and graham county,
nc....happiness awaits. g

jeff

Going out to NC in October was discussed and rejected (so far) due to
having to pull Mason out of school for a week or 10 days. But it does
sound as if fishing the NC mountains is as close as a person could get
to my preferred style of fishing.

g.c.

it's fun even in may, june, july, august... and, i've been there
(shudder) more than once without my family... hell, far as i remember, a
lot of the misfits and liberals around here have done that. g

jeff (who knows that the yesterdays will never be as important as the
tomorrows)
Old February 21st, 2005, 04:15 AM
vincent p. norris

Camping (tent)?... Bears?...An Occasional Fish?... (OT) The Tyrell
Dino Museum?...

Sorry I can't help with most of those questions, but I've been to the
Paleontology Museum at Drumheller, and it's well worth a visit. It
claims to be the largest in the world.

You can also go out into the countryside nearby and dig bones for
yourself.

vince
Old February 23rd, 2005, 01:27 PM
Conan the Librarian

Jonathan Cook wrote:

If you recall, two summers ago I posted a TR for the upper
Bow river. A beautiful river I could easily spend a week on.
A boat would be necessary. Early august should be prime
green drake season, IIRC. We did a guided float from Canmore
downstream. Conan the librarian (if you're reading this), you
_must_ visit your in-laws during the summer.

We did that last summer, but I was so occupied fishing the Crow that
I never got to check out much else. :-)

Our plan is to eventually buy a place in the GWN (either Canmore or
Crowsnest Pass; with the pass being more likely because real-estate is
still reasonable there) so we can spend our summers there. If we do,
I'll have to get the name of the guide you used.

Do you have pictures somewhere of that trip?

Chuck Vance