Maine FF, late July?

Old July 22nd, 2006, 04:22 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

Default Maine FF, late July?

I was thinking of headed back up to the Rangeley region later this week
for a few days, as I have 2 weeks left here in Maine and still want to
do some fishing, so I was reading some back posts on ROFF to see what
people have said about the Rapid, Megalloway and other rivers in that
area. It sounds like the traditional sweet spot of summer has passed a
few weeks ago, and those regions are sort of 'dried up' for now. So I'm
looking for suggestions on where I can go for a 2-3 day trip to cast
over some big fish.

Of course, I feel sort of stupid asking this, being a native son and
pretty familiar with the state and all. But I didn't start fishing
until I had moved to Latvia about 6 years ago, so although I'm very
familiar with the back roads and rivers (from a river runner's POV), I
don't really know the fisheries. One post from several years ago even
mentioned that the stretch of the Rapid I was on earlier this week was
actually closed as of July 1, but the current regs don't show that
(whew). So any suggestions would be well appreciated, and followed with
a TR.

One option I'm considering is to drive down the East Outlet out of
Moosehead and camp for 2-3 nights, fishing for Browns. Another option
is to hike into the Rapid again, and fish there (suggestions on places
to camp would be appreciated), or even to fish some stretches of the
Androscoggin or Kennebec.

Any suggestions for the best late July fishing in Maine?

--riverman

Old July 23rd, 2006, 01:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

"riverman" wrote in message
big snip
One option I'm considering is to drive down the East Outlet out of
Moosehead and camp for 2-3 nights, fishing for Browns.

I am by no means an expert on that region; but I have fished the East Outlet
in late July, and it was at least acceptable. About a quarter mile down
from the Rt 15 bridge are several nice pools; and I did fairly well for my
few hours there drifting caddis nymphs. Lots of nice fish there, including
some landlocked salmon. Closer to the road, I even LDR'ed a nice fish
(rainbow?) while fooling around with a Goddard Caddis I was tying for a
swap.

Louie is also familiar with the pools I mention (he's the one who told me).
Tie up some GRWs & have fun.

It's worth mentioning that I've been very fortunate in avoiding the famed
black flies; and by late July, their numbers should have greatly diminished,
BUT the worst I have ever been attacked by insects of all types was while
hiking down a moose trail alongside the East Outlet. I was well slathered
in DEET, but the insect cloud around my head was ominous. They still
managed to find a few square millimeters where I hadn't coated myself. If
you're going to camp up there, good screens & lots of DEET would be my best
recommendation.

Joe F.

Old July 24th, 2006, 06:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On 21 Jul 2006 20:22:14 -0700, "riverman" wrote:

One post from several years ago even
mentioned that the stretch of the Rapid I was on earlier this week was
actually closed as of July 1, but the current regs don't show that
(whew). So any suggestions would be well appreciated, and followed with
a TR.

I believe that section of the river is closed after Sept 15 because
the brook trout spawn there.

One option I'm considering is to drive down the East Outlet out of
Moosehead and camp for 2-3 nights, fishing for Browns.

As far as I know, there are no browns in that section of the Kennebec
(East Outlet of Moosehead down to Indian Pond). Lots of very nice
brook trout and large salmon, however.

Another option
is to hike into the Rapid again, and fish there (suggestions on places
to camp would be appreciated), or even to fish some stretches of the
Androscoggin or Kennebec.

If I wanted to fish the Rapid without staying at lakewood, I would
rent one of the remote campsites offered by South Arm Camp Ground.
There are several, but I remember the names of only three - Black Cat,
and The Birches south of Middle Dam, and Shelter Cove north of the
dam. They are only a short walk/paddle to the dam. There is another
camp ground opposite Lakewood (I think it is called the Sandbanks) but
it would require a mile or so paddle across Lower Richardson, and if
it's windy, you would have a rough time of it.

I just got back from Labrador where we caught about 30 brook trout
each day, most in the 15 - 18 inch range, but several in the 3 to 5
pound range, most on dries.

Dave

Any suggestions for the best late July fishing in Maine?

Old July 24th, 2006, 08:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

Dave LaCourse wrote:

I just got back from Labrador where we caught about 30 brook trout
each day, most in the 15 - 18 inch range, but several in the 3 to 5
pound range, most on dries.

Dave

Yowsa, that sounds stupendous. I had heard that the big fish were to be
found up there. Where were you fishing, and where did you stay? We want
DETAILS.

--riverman

Old July 24th, 2006, 09:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On 24 Jul 2006 12:27:16 -0700, "riverman" wrote:

Yowsa, that sounds stupendous. I had heard that the big fish were to be
found up there. Where were you fishing, and where did you stay? We want
DETAILS.

Stayed at Awesome Lake Lodge ($3000/week and that includes ALL travel
expense if you use Air Canada, regardless where you live in the States
or Canada). We fished the two inlets to the lake, and the outlet
(English River). I wasn't capable of making the hour long hike down
to the lower river, but those that did fished waters that no one has
fished in over two years. My friend Cliff (he's very sick with bone
cancer) couldn't wade, so he was limited to fishing from the Gander
Boats in the lake and outlet, while I would get out of the boat and
fish the waters near the boat. Trip report and pix to follow.

Old July 24th, 2006, 09:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

"Dave LaCourse" wrote in message
On 24 Jul 2006 12:27:16 -0700, "riverman" wrote:

Yowsa, that sounds stupendous. I had heard that the big fish were to be
found up there. Where were you fishing, and where did you stay? We want
DETAILS.

Stayed at Awesome Lake Lodge ($3000/week and that includes ALL travel
expense if you use Air Canada, regardless where you live in the States
or Canada). We fished the two inlets to the lake, and the outlet
(English River). I wasn't capable of making the hour long hike down
to the lower river, but those that did fished waters that no one has
fished in over two years. My friend Cliff (he's very sick with bone
cancer) couldn't wade, so he was limited to fishing from the Gander
Boats in the lake and outlet, while I would get out of the boat and
fish the waters near the boat. Trip report and pix to follow.

Dave

What patterns & size Dave?
-tom

Old July 24th, 2006, 09:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 13:17:39 -0700, "Tom Nakashima"
wrote:

"Dave LaCourse" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Size 14 Royal Wulffs, #16 Goddard Caddis and Henryville Special, and a
size 6 mouse pattern (trimmed). I also used streamers, but had
success only with a size 8 green Wooly Bugger.