Sage advice for Jeff

Old December 8th, 2008, 04:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Rodger

Default Sage advice for Jeff

"any interest in putting a trip together? i couldn't find an outfitter
that would drop off a small group with stuff/supplies and pick up 10
days later."

I have a good friend out there that guides for an outfitter. He is very
knowledgeable, good sense of humor, and has done that sort of thing
for years. If you want to talk with him call 406-562-3339 and ask for
Larry. Tell him Buff sent ya.

Buff

Old December 8th, 2008, 08:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 8-Dec-2008, "Rodger" wrote:

"any interest in putting a trip together? i couldn't find an outfitter
that would drop off a small group with stuff/supplies and pick up 10
days later."

I have a good friend out there that guides for an outfitter. He is very
knowledgeable, good sense of humor, and has done that sort of thing
for years. If you want to talk with him call 406-562-3339 and ask for
Larry. Tell him Buff sent ya.

Buff

Jeff - Buff

If you guys want to put a trip together (for Roffians) I can & woould
gladly help
Depending upon the time of year (exact dates)
I could make it and I will also help re looking for an outfitter
I know where to start

Some of those bars in Augusta are beckoning.

Fred
Old December 8th, 2008, 10:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff miller[_2_]

Rodger wrote:

"any interest in putting a trip together? i couldn't find an outfitter
that would drop off a small group with stuff/supplies and pick up 10
days later."

I have a good friend out there that guides for an outfitter. He is very
knowledgeable, good sense of humor, and has done that sort of thing
for years. If you want to talk with him call 406-562-3339 and ask for
Larry. Tell him Buff sent ya.

Buff

Thanks - and just so i'm clear, i was looking for drops and pick-ups in
the South Fork of the Flathead?

jeff
Old December 8th, 2008, 10:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff miller[_2_]

Fred wrote:

On 8-Dec-2008, "Rodger" wrote:

"any interest in putting a trip together? i couldn't find an outfitter
that would drop off a small group with stuff/supplies and pick up 10
days later."

I have a good friend out there that guides for an outfitter. He is very
knowledgeable, good sense of humor, and has done that sort of thing
for years. If you want to talk with him call 406-562-3339 and ask for
Larry. Tell him Buff sent ya.

Buff

Jeff - Buff

If you guys want to put a trip together (for Roffians) I can & woould
gladly help
Depending upon the time of year (exact dates)
I could make it and I will also help re looking for an outfitter
I know where to start

Some of those bars in Augusta are beckoning.

Fred

Thanks -- Don't know what the present interest level is with others, but
I remain interested in the South Fork of the Flathead, based on what I
have been told about the area and the fishing... i just couldn't find a
way to make it work without signing on to one of those guided trips.
those i was talking with about going were experienced backcountry
hikers/campers/fishers, do-it-yourself-ers. given my camping and
backcountry skills, combined with my inability to carry all the needed
equipment across the country, it's not a trip i'd hazard or be able to
accomplish on my own.

jeff
Old December 9th, 2008, 01:18 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Rodger

You've got it. Call Larry. It's just a phone call.

By the way...I don't have a dog in this hunt! If I go, I'll probably
go out, stay with my friends, and be a 'trout bum' for 10 days or so.

Buff

"jeff miller" wrote in message
. ..

Old December 12th, 2008, 12:52 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 8-Dec-2008, jeff miller wrote:

Thanks - and just so i'm clear, i was looking for drops and pick-ups in
the South Fork of the Flathead?

jeff

Jeff
I live near the South Fork and I have hiked it in the Bob Marshall twice
I flew in both times and was then picked up
If you want to pursue this I can help you to arrange this -
Do you want an outfitter with horses or do you want to fly and hike?

Fred
Old December 13th, 2008, 11:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff miller[_2_]

Fred wrote:

On 8-Dec-2008, jeff miller wrote:

Thanks - and just so i'm clear, i was looking for drops and pick-ups in
the South Fork of the Flathead?

jeff

Jeff
I live near the South Fork and I have hiked it in the Bob Marshall twice
I flew in both times and was then picked up
If you want to pursue this I can help you to arrange this -
Do you want an outfitter with horses or do you want to fly and hike?

Fred

my small group - those that suggested i figure if it could be done -
were looking for anything that got us down to the stream with adequate
provisions and then picked us up. some asked about rafting, others a
stationary campsite. i know nothing about the south fork except what i
have read. either would work, but we were avoiding guided trips and
trying to do it as economical as practical. some of the guys have been
to alaska on a do it yourself drop and pick-up trip...i've never done
it, so i was just supposed to gather info and prices - an assignment i
failed. couldn't find anything except fully guided trips. thanks for
your help and interest.

jeff
Old December 13th, 2008, 11:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 13-Dec-2008, jeff miller wrote:

y small group - those that suggested i figure if it could be done -
were looking for anything that got us down to the stream with adequate
provisions and then picked us up. some asked about rafting, others a
stationary campsite. i know nothing about the south fork except what i
have read. either would work, but we were avoiding guided trips and
trying to do it as economical as practical. some of the guys have been
to alaska on a do it yourself drop and pick-up trip...i've never done
it, so i was just supposed to gather info and prices - an assignment i
failed. couldn't find anything except fully guided trips. thanks for
your help and interest.

jeff

I would suggest that you fly into and out of Kalispell or Glacier Pk Intl AP

Red Eagle Aviation will take you in (3 of you and gear) for $250 to $300
If you like I will chk prices as it gets closer and warmer.

You would fly into Schaeffer Meadows and hike to the Flathead - not far
You can rent a raft (s) from a few places
I can chk further into that if you tell me how many
Best time is late June before fire season

If you do make it I may or may not join you depending on the time
but I sure can provide you w a day of premier fishing before and a good meal
or so...before and after

Fred

Fred
Old December 14th, 2008, 06:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff miller

Fred wrote:
[...]

thanks fred...i'll send a copy of your note to my friends to see if they
remain interested too.

jeff