How much HP per pound?

Old April 9th, 2004, 06:13 AM
DAVID MC CARVER

Default How much HP per pound?

I have ordered a new aluminum boat for catfishing and am not interested in
200HP motors or getting 25 miles down the lake in 30 minutes. I would like
the hull to plane out and not feel sluggish under power. The new boat will
weigh 500 lbs. and perhaps 1000 to 1200 less motor when loaded. I would like
to put a 25HP on it but am afraid that's a little light. I notice that some
similar boat packages have 25s on them. Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks -- Dave

Old April 9th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Pepperoni

What hull type, and where will you be fishing. A john-boat handles
differently than a semi-V and you will need more power if you intend to hold
position below the dams. (for example)

Your new boat will likely have a horsepower rating on the manufacturer's ID
plate on the transom. Call the manufacturer, or check the display model in
the show room.

Often high power motors are terrible for slow trolling. Think about the
type of fishing you do, the waters you fish and the current if you fish up
the big rivers.

Pepperoni

Old April 9th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"DAVID MC CARVER" wrote in message
I have ordered a new aluminum boat for catfishing and am not interested in
200HP motors or getting 25 miles down the lake in 30 minutes. I would like
the hull to plane out and not feel sluggish under power. The new boat

will
weigh 500 lbs. and perhaps 1000 to 1200 less motor when loaded. I would

like
to put a 25HP on it but am afraid that's a little light. I notice that

some
similar boat packages have 25s on them. Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks -- Dave

There is no set formula of horsepower per pound of boat. Hull design,
materials used and construction techniques all play a part in a boat's
horsepower rating.

The best advice I can give you is to NEVER power a boat less than 20% of
it's maximum horsepower rating. Less than that and you will have a sluggish
boat when loaded for fishing. 95% of the people that I know who've not
followed this "rule" have been disappointed in how their boat performed and
either ended up re-powering the boat (an expensive proposition) or traded
the whole rig in.

The only time that I can think you would not follow this advice is if you
fish a lot of horsepower restricted waters.

The last three boats I've owned have been maxed out the horsepower rating of
the hull and I've been satisfied with the performance and handling.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old April 9th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Rodney LongShot

DAVID MC CARVER wrote:
I have ordered a new aluminum boat for catfishing and am not interested in
200HP motors or getting 25 miles down the lake in 30 minutes. I would like
the hull to plane out and not feel sluggish under power. The new boat will
weigh 500 lbs. and perhaps 1000 to 1200 less motor when loaded. I would like
to put a 25HP on it but am afraid that's a little light. I notice that some
similar boat packages have 25s on them. Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks -- Dave

I owned such a boat with a 25, and was very pleased, it had stick
steering, thus I sat up front, I guess that made it plane much quicker,
but that little boat would run 25 miles an hour. If you need your boat
to trim out better, use a "whale's tail" motor attachment, you can get
them every where for under 50 dollars.

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Long Shot rig

Old April 9th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Wag

David,

Not sure if this will help but I own a 14 foot Jon boat made of heavy gauge
aluminum. The boat weighs 532 lbs. Loaded with 16 gallons of fuel, fishing
gear, beer, 20 gallons of diesel and my 300 lbs I had a 30 hp on the back
and run at 24 MPH according to the GPS on plane on the way to the camp for
the weekend. Take the diesel and extra ice chest out and I get 30 MPH out
of the boat on plane. Proper trim and pitch of a motor will help get you up
to plan and proper weight distribution. I had a 15 HP that was given to me
and I bought the boat and trailer from a friend for a couple hindered bucks.
The boat with just me and fishing gear would not go over 20 MPH and had
trouble planning. I tried a 25 HP that I had on another boat and the boat
planed better and only got 24 MPH. I then saved my money and purchased a 30
HP and totally happy now with its performance. This boats is used to carry
supplies to a camp 20 miles from the launch and occasional fishing so speed
was not a factor. For fishing I use a 23 foot Ranger powered by a 225 HP
Yamaha. This baby was built for speed and fishing.

If you are buying a boat check the HP rating and don;t go less then 80
percent of its rating. Unless you live in Louisiana then you need to go 150
percent above its rating (typical Louisiana boating). My boat was not made
for recreational use so it was not stamped with a HP rating. Different hull
design (semi V, Jon) will all handle different and its requirements to
perform to your standard will vary. Look around your area to see what
others are using for the same type of boat.

Sarge

Old April 9th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Bob La Londe

I have a 16' Waco 2050-16 with a 50HP Force. It moves at about 30MPH under
ideal conditions. I have been told that Force puts out about 35 SHP so I am
guessing a 35-50 HP in a modern SHP rated motor would be more than adequate
for my needs. I thinka 25 would be under powered. I am actually looking
for a good newer 50 to replace my Force because getting up the river quickly
can most certainly be an issue for me when fishing a tournament. I don't
need to get up the river 30 miles up river in 30 minutes either (not in that
boat) becasue I have a biger boat that will do that, but I really don't want
to have to cut a good bite short either because it will take me an hour to
get back to the weigh in.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index