Do little bass swim faster than big bass?

Old April 27th, 2007, 01:32 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

Default Do little bass swim faster than big bass?

I had to do some shopping today, and I was browsing in the fishing
section of Wal Mart. I was looking for my favorite worms, but they
didn't have any, but I spotted some old "rooster tails" that I had fond
memories of....I have caught almost every variety of fish that swim in
both fresh and salt water on them .

I bought a couple, a whtie, and a chartruese. When I got home I put the
chartruese on one of the rods. I don't know about other lakes, but the
bass here "love" a chartruse rooster tail! But what I noticed was, the
faster the retrieve, the smaller the bass...real dinks! The slower the
retrieve, bigger bass...still nothing over a pound or so, but bigger.

Does this mean that smaller bass swim faster than larger bass? grin

Actually I'm serious...almost feel ike I'm learning the "game" all over
again !

John K

Old April 27th, 2007, 03:22 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"John B" wrote in message
[...]

New lake. New Game. On a slow day walking the Gila River as a kid when I
couldn't buy a bite I used to be able to get a few dinks by absolutely
ripping a rooster tail or small Kastmaster through the water.

Had I known what I know now I would have been flipping a jig or creature
bait to every little brushy undercut.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

Old April 27th, 2007, 03:35 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

John B wrote:

Does this mean that smaller bass swim faster than larger bass? grin

Actually I'm serious...almost feel ike I'm learning the "game" all over
again !

John K

The answer to that is YES !

I have pulled a lot of bass from the same area, I always catch the
little ones first it seams, they get bigger as you pull them from a
group,, sure sometimes you get the lure closer to a bigger fish before a
smaller one can get to it.

Last summer I was walking along the bank of a very clear lake, I had
made a cast out to deeper water as I saw 4 LM cruising towards me, I
rapidly reeled to get my lure in front of the bass (actually in front of
me, they were still 30 to 40 feet away) I stopped the lure in about
three feet of water, and started wiggling it, it was indeed a race
between the 4 fish, and of course the little 4 lb'er hit it first, a
good 8 to 10 feet ahead of the largest that looked over 8 lbs. with the
two 5+ bass between them, the others tried to get the worm from the
first, then they must have seen me (I was moving a lot reeling in that 4
lb'er :-) and they bolted.

It's not just bass that the smaller ones move more quickly towards their
meal.

I don't know if they actually have more speed or it's just they are
willing to expend more energy to get a meal.

I have some underwater footage,, actually a lot of it, where huge bass
move so slowly to get to a lure, I really don't think LARGE bass chase
nothing far, but they are awesome quick at lunging a short distance to
feed, hitting very fast moving lures, if the lure comes close enough ( a
few body lengths or so from them ).

From what I've personally seen, most huge bass ambush their prey, or
they feed on any injured opportunity meal, by "slowly" swimming over to
it. (all those guys fishing the huge live shiners are fishing for those
opportunity feeding HUGE bass) All of the 8+ bass I have caught, I was
wiggling the lure in one spot for over 3 min. Of course I'm sure you
drag any lure at any speed "close enough" to a hungry BIG bass, they
will nail it, the trick is knowing the exact spot they are, so you
retrieve it close in front of them, or you just have to cover every spot
with many, many cast, to make sure. We call this machine gun fishing,,
I'm too old for that :-)

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the SpecTastic "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread,
Old April 27th, 2007, 06:19 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
RichZ

John B wrote:

Does this mean that smaller bass swim faster than larger bass? grin

Not that they necessarily can, but that they are more willing to. More
competition from their size-mates.

Old April 27th, 2007, 11:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Fishking

"RichZ" wrote in message
Not that they necessarily can, but that they are more willing to. More
competition from their size-mates.

I would tend to agree with Rich I don't think they can swim or move any
faster, they do so because of compettion...and maybe fear of being eaten
themselves :-)

Old April 27th, 2007, 01:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Fishking" wrote in message
"RichZ" wrote in message
Not that they necessarily can, but that they are more willing to. More
competition from their size-mates.

I would tend to agree with Rich I don't think they can swim or move any
faster, they do so because of compettion...and maybe fear of being eaten
themselves :-)

Old bull vs young bull? LOL

Old April 27th, 2007, 05:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Chris Rennert

Largemouth in particular are very territorial, in my experience if I am
in an area where I am catching a lot of small fish, I am moving quickly.
I rarely get into an area where I am weeding through smaller fish to
get to larger fish, the only exception I have run into is in the fall
for small mouth. In three casts I can come up with a 13" , 17", and 19"
fish. Typically, and I have gathered this from reading a lot of
articles and books written by B.A.S.S or F.L.W pro's, they target areas
where their odds are higher of catching larger bass. I sat in a boat
when I was 14 in a pro-am tournament with Bob Dobratz (was on the
Wisconsin B.A.S.S team a while ago) who fished a specific stump for 20
minutes, and pulled a 3lb fish off of it. We came back to that same
stump a few hours later and another 10 or 20 minutes and he had another
3lb fish.

OH WAIT... the question was , Do little bass swim faster than big
bass???? What Rich Said :-)

Chris
Rodney Long wrote:
John B wrote:

[...]

From what I've personally seen, most huge bass ambush their prey, or

Old April 29th, 2007, 10:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John

"John B" or John K asked:

"Does this mean that smaller bass swim faster than larger bass? grin"

The swimming speed of largemouth bass has not been studied in depth and I
have not seen any research publications on the subject. Some scientist once
told me that bass can swim at 2.5 times their body length per second. That
means that small bass can swim about two miles per hour and a 20-inch bass
may swim in spurts up to 12 miles per hour. Bigger is faster.

Since science says smaller bass DO NOT swim faster than larger bass, the
events you observed must be caused by some other facts. Smaller bass "can"
swim faster than larger bass, especially when scared or when being casually
pursued by a not so desperate larger bass. My guess is that there is some
other explanation for the difference in size of bass you were catching. If
you can discover why the size difference, my guess is that this group would
be interested in your findings.
Good Luck!
John