Tennessee Tourney

Old September 15th, 2009, 01:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com

Default Tennessee Tourney

"DanD" wrote in message
news
Sounds like a good day fishing::::

So have any of those southern guys told you the difference between a
Yankee
and A Dammed Yankee yet???

You know Steve you are now one of those Dammed Yankee's, you moved south.

A Yankee just goes to visit::::
Keep us up to date on the nicer weather, the trees are already changing
he:::

Oh, I was told the difference a long time ago. But I don't have anything to
worry about. I have been told that I'm not a Damned Yankee, but that I'm a
Misplaced Rebel! There's a huge difference. Besides, locals are only
locals through an accident of birth, I'm here consciously! And while I
might not have been born in Tennessee, I got here as quick as I could!
--
Steve Huber
Executive Producer/Editor in Chief

Old September 15th, 2009, 03:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
DanD

Very good response:::

Hope to be the same soon::
Dan

--

Sometimes the best thing to do:
Is nothing at all.

Old September 15th, 2009, 05:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bass_Mr.[_5_]

I know that when we spoke on the phone I heard you say "ya'll" a couple of
times so the whole southern thing is taking root.

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com" wrote in message
news

Old September 15th, 2009, 05:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Bass_Mr." wrote in message
I know that when we spoke on the phone I heard you say "ya'll" a couple of
times so the whole southern thing is taking root.

Heck, I've even done a couple "mightcoulds" and asked Janet if she wanted
the "yeller" mustard!

Old September 19th, 2009, 03:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

Nice going Steve! Sounds like you are "fitting" right in down there in
your new "home"! The winter pool can be a bit of a problem on Kentucky
Lake...But a good bass man can usually figure it out pretty quick, hu!
One good thing about it...you can spot some good spring "pool" covers
during the winter draw down.

John B

========

Tennessee Tourney

)
I've been posting reports on OutdoorFrontiers.com for Kentucky Lake for
the past several weeks, and AlwaysFishKing has posted on his experiences
down here and LilMule has chimed in as well. I had an ulterior motive
for fishing down in the Camden area so much recently.
You see, LilMule (an OF member and friend) asked me to fish an open team
tournament being held out of Birdsong Creek with him. After seeing all
the lily pads and our results based on the recent trips, we thought we'd
at least not embarrass ourselves. But, I hadn't fished down there since
AlwaysFishKing was here, as I didn't want to burn out the spot through
overfishing.
Awake at 2:30 a.m., and out the door before 4, I was nervous as a long
tailed cat in a room full of rockers! It didn't get any better after we
were signed in and the boat in the water. I was talking with some of the
guys in the tourney and from the sounds they were making, LilMule and I
were facing some stiff competition, and most of them locals!
We were the 17th boat out of 33 to blast-off, and it was with relief
that the previous 16 boats all headed in the direction of the main lake.
I got up on plane and did a 180, heading for our spot, less than a mile
from the marina.
Still at WOT across a shallow flat, I dodged a few crappie stake beds, a
few stumps and in the pre-dawn gloom, dropped off plane, trimming the
motor up to avoid grounding the prop, we were fishing that shallow! And
actually, it was even shallower than my last trip as the Tennessee
Valley Authority dam system had dropped the lake level close to two
feet! We we were fishing in 18 to 24 inches. When I say shallow, I mean
shallow!
With a Horny Toad already tied on, I began casting the edges of the
pads. Along about the third or fourth cast, LilMule and I almost peed
ourselves when the tranquility was shattered. BOOM! BANG! BOOMBOOMBOOM,
KaPOW, BANGBANGBANG! I had totally forgotten about duck season being
open and as we could see further into the huge expanses of lily pads, we
realized that we were almost surrounded by duck hunters! So now, LilMule
and I really started to wonder about our "winning pattern." I mean, we
were expecting "some activity" and we really didn't expect to have the
area to ourselves, and we knew the water would be lower, but we
certainly didn't expect the water to be almost half gone and we
certainly didn't expect to share the pads with heavily armed rednecks!
But it didn't seem to bother the bass as the first strike was from a
legal largemouth! Only 15.5 inches, but into the livewell it went, less
than five minutes into the fishing day. It was followed by another bass,
a little over 16 inches, two in the box! With gun fire continuing to
ring out, I continued to put fish in the boat. LilMule was getting bit
on some other frog styles, but on one, his reel's drag failed and a good
bass got wrapped around some pad stems and pulled off. He had several
other good strikes, but the largemouth were shortstriking or getting
off!
While birdshot was raining down around us a three, a four and a five
pounder (not necessarily in that order) were added to the boat. We had a
limit at 7:10 By 7:15 we were culling, but only by ounces, not the
larger weights we had been getting on previous trips. When I unhooked
the 4 pounder, I didn't think the fish would survive as it was hooked
right in the tongue. Sometimes the fish will survive such a hook wound,
and other times, when the hook is removed, the blood absolutely gushes.
Guess which one I had? Around 11:30 LilMule was able to cull out a 2lb,
11 oz. fish with a 2lb, 12 oz. fish that took a 7" Magnum Super Fluke!
The bite continued right up until it was time to weigh in, and we were
catching legal fish, but catching fish weighing 2lb, 6 oz. or 2lb, 8 oz.
didn't help.
All this time, I was positive that the guys fishing the main lake ledges
and weedbeds were really hammering the fish, so while I figured we'd be
in the middle of the pack of 33 boats, I was still nervous.
I started feeling a little better talking to some of the other
contestants milling around the weigh-in. Some skunked, some had a few
fish, not too many it seemed had limits. No one I talked to had culled!
When I got the fish from the livewell, I lost some confidence again as I
found that not only the 4 pounder was dead, but also the five! I don't
know what happened there, but with a 1/2 pound per fish dead penalty, I
didn't think we stood a chance. I was assured that the two dead fish
were going to go home with one of the anglers, so at least they weren't
wasted.
From my seat, I could hear the scoreperson tallying the weights. The
winning team had 17.01 pounds. I started feeling a bit better. After the
dead fish penalty, "Team Transplant" had 16.45 pounds! We had finished
in FIFTH PLACE! Not too shabby for a couple recent transplants to
Tennessee who'd never fished a tournament together, and until recently
had not fished the Birdsong Creek area!
Then on the way home, it dawned on me. If those two fish wouldn't have
died, we would have won it!!!

Old June 22nd, 2011, 07:37 PM
roggerbiny roggerbiny is offline
Junior Member

You see, LilMule (an OF affiliate and friend) asked me to angle an accessible team tournament getting captivated out of Birdsong Creek with him. After seeing all the lily pads and our after-effects based on the contempo trips, we anticipation we'd atleast not abash ourselves.